Hop To
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Cabriolet; 02/21/15.

Survivor of the 13th Original Colony, I escaped on December 17, 1968.
BP-B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Love it

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
That is way cool!

Double_D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

What brand/model are your using?

"Any inanimate object will just sit there until a person picks it up.
What they do with it depends on what kind of respect they've
been taught for human life"
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by deadeyedan

What brand/model are your using?

Long obsolete Green Model 106. Had it for 30 years and it was old when I bought it. Sometimes they show up on ebay.

The spring loaded tracer is required for engraving round items like gun barrels.

Survivor of the 13th Original Colony, I escaped on December 17, 1968.
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
very interesting, thanks for picture sir.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those old machines are pretty cool. They do what they're supposed to very well and generally they were built to last a long time.

There are a couple of gunsmiths around here that I wish would use something like that. They can put together an accurate rifle but it's sure disheartening to get your cherished rifle back with the chambering stamped out in uneven letters/numbers using individual punches. One fellow even double stuck a digit when he didn't hit the punch hard enough the first time. sick

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A machine made of metal? haven't seen one for years!
that's a grand old tool! I have checkering tools starting in late 40's vintage and on up to today. the 40's tools have rosewood handles and the current ones have some kind of bamboo I guess.
nice to see the good stuff still around.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I never understood anyone who called himself a gunsmith hand stamping the caliber marking on a nice rifle. Take it to a jeweler or trophy shop, most will do the caliber marking with their pantograph for a nominal fee.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I called myself a gunsmith and stamped barrels for nearly forty years; so did most of my contemporaries. If I lacked the ability to stamp in a straight line, I might have taken it to someone else. However, if I lacked the ability to stamp in a staight line, I would probably have lacked the ability to build the rifle in the first place.
Having said that, I still like the looks of the machine. I also admit to liking the look of cut numbers and letters. GD

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by greydog
I called myself a gunsmith and stamped barrels for nearly forty years; so did most of my contemporaries. If I lacked the ability to stamp in a straight line, I might have taken it to someone else. However, if I lacked the ability to stamp in a staight line, I would probably have lacked the ability to build the rifle in the first place.
Having said that, I still like the looks of the machine. I also admit to liking the look of cut numbers and letters. GD

Plus one Bill.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Cabriolet, can you share some after pics of the finish and some numbers on the cutter? I have a new herme's with just about every attachment they make and I have never had the motor on it....just the scratch.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I worked in Browning Arms Co. gunsmithing shop for several years, they had two New Hermes pantographs that we used to replace markings lost due to polishing preparatory to bluing. We always used the diamond drag stylus, never the motor driven cutter. The engraving cut with the motorized cutter have a burr that must be removed whereas the diamond drag stylus leaves virtually no burr.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Thats what my gunsmith friend in Bama uses , very very nice .

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a set of number and letter stamps when I finished Gunsmith school in 1954 and they are still with me. They are getting a little dull but still make a good impression. What I always wanted was one of those little custom stamps in a circle with my name. Now they were neat and just one whack did the job.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
642 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 219 Wasp, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,579 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,601
Posts18,398,282
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.