Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
I had a shrink tell me that it was my responsibility to tell kids what happened.

Agreed. With caveats:

First, you tell them in a way that does not force them to take sides. If you drag them in, you will lose. They're going to get to the truth in the long run. If you lie, they will bust you. You may gain something in the short run but in the long run, you'll lose more.

Second, what you tell them has to be age-appropriate, filtered so they understand, but without "spin." That's a place where having a shrink to help you separate "enough" from "too much" could be a good thing.

Tom

Yep. Telling the truth to a four year old has to be age appropriate and filtered correctly. I didn't say anything about bashing her. But don't think you can hide alot from a kid, they pretty much get things going on.
If you lie you're disrespecting and under-estimating the child. Being honest obviously has to be done appropriately. Only the campfire would jump to conclusion that I suggested to the contrary.

"Mommy was a slut and was screwing a police officer while daddy was working during the day. Mommy is screwed up because she's been used by men and had daddy issues from when she was your age."

LOL
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
it sucks, went through it last spring...no biological kids but my oldest stepdaughter chose me and spent the holidays hanging out with me and my family if that tells you anything bout my ex....as someone pointed out even after the papers are signed she may still try to phug with you....mine did her damndest to keep me from getting employed but did finally land a job that pays a fair bit more than i made working with her....infact out of town right now "on business" with a paid for hotel room and going out drinking with my brother tonight to see what entertainment is around...

the first while of all this phuggin sucks but it doesnt last if you dont let it.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by curdog4570

Problem with that is you are admitting you were so stupid you married a bitch who had not one redeeming quality.

Of course, if that is the case...... confession is good for the soul.

But the kid is gonna look at you funny the rest of his life. Always thinking,"What a Dumbass".

That is exactly what I did. I never hid the fact from the kids that I was a young and stupid young sailor and married the wrong woman for me. By the time they were six and nine they understood who was the bad guy and who was the good guy without my ever having said a word. Even at that young age they knew the constant flow of drunks spending the night and their mother being anything but a loving mother was not the way it was supposed to be. They were with me since I stole them across a bunch of state lines and they were the ones who initiated the stealing. Kids ain’t stupid.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Go fishing!!!

Congrats and put 100% of your love and energies into that young man! And I mean that.

Oh yeah I forgot....also, treat yourself to one those new pizzas wrapped in 3.5 feet of bacon for crust!! grin

Last edited by byc; 02/23/15.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
...I will never forgive her.

Once you realize and admit that your marriage failed because of what you and your wife did and didn't do, you will see that blaming her for everything is what prevents you from moving on.

BS. Yeah, it failed because he didnt fullfil all her dreams and make her eternally happy? It failed because he was not perfect?
Typical liberal bull crap. There is no right or wrong, right?

The vows didnt say to love cherish and honor unless your spouse is perfect or until you are tired of it or until you find a bigger stick.

Last edited by eyeball; 02/23/15.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pal
...I will never forgive her.

Once you realize and admit that your marriage failed because of what you and your wife did and didn't do, you will see that blaming her for everything is what prevents you from moving on.

only thing i blame myself for is not cutting and running when the girls did, when they gave up on their mom i should have too and got an 18 month head start on where i am now.....it is quite possible to not be the guys fault at all, in my case her own daughters lay the blame on her and not me.....

Last edited by rattler; 02/23/15.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I know it sucks for now, I've been there and done that! But someday you'll look back and say it was probably the best thing that ever happened to you.
Put your trust in The Lord and make the transition as easy as possible for your son.
Kids are usually the ones that suffer the most from their parents divorcing.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
I know it sucks for now, I've been there and done that! But someday you'll look back and say it was probably the best thing that ever happened to you.
Put your trust in The Lord and make the transition as easy as possible for your son.
Kids are usually the ones that suffer the most from their parents divorcing.

This^^^. They are suffering more than you, as i did when my dad ran off for a whore lesving my three little brothers and sisters at home while i had one more year at college for my doctors degree.

There was no part his fault and my moms. Ohl i guess she could have snapped her fingers and been 20 years younger and with a big bank account left by a prematurely dead guy, but she didnt, so i guess it was partially her fault.

He made it two years with the biotch with a big house and big diamond rings.

That wasnt enough to be worth the nightmares i sufferd over my young siblings left without a father when i couldnt go home to help mom take care of them.

Some people are chitt walking on two sticks.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
in late teens or early 20's (don't remember exactly when) I went through a bit of heartburn for my mom never telling me what a selfish dick my dad could be.

her answer was "he was to me, but I always hoped he'd love you kids enough that it wouldn't be that way with you, and if he was I didn't want to poison that relationship for the hurt I endured because of him"

never heard her speak ill of him the whole time I was growin up

she's a very nice lady that deserved a better son, if I could go back in time I'd kick the livin chit outa me for how I acted when I was a teen.

ain't nobody perfect, including my mom, but she's close enough for me.

was lucky to have her and grateful for some of the things I learned from my dad

but he was just a guy that seldom loved anyone as much as he loved himself.

but damn he knew how to party!

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for the wishes.

I have determined you aren't really a man until you have been ruined by a woman. I had the world by the balls the day before she left me.

You will use this time as a reference point. You will refer to it later when you measure how much the rest of your life doesn't suck!

For now, treat each day as a survival challenge. Get through each day and they will become easier and better.

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Thanks for all the input. I'm still alive...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Literally feel nauseous tonight.

15 years down the drain. 4 year old son that I will only get to see half the time now.

I've spent $8000 in legal fees that I don't have, to fight over stuff I don't even care about. I either sign tomorrow, or it goes to court...She started talking about going after my guns and tools this week if I didn't agree to the latest proposal. I said "you want my f.ucking guns and tools? take them then!"

It was Steelhead that summed it up years ago for me here with regards to "stuff." Only thing I care about at this point is my son.

I will never forgive her.

any guy that has been thru a divorce in this country, feels for you...Women have it made... and men get screwed by the courts, especially if they are middle class white Caucasian...

I hope you make out well thru it all Dogcatcher... and kudos for wanting to hang onto your son...my ex managed to essentially take my kids away from me...strictly being a b-itch.. and the courts let her do anything her little heart desired...

you and your son will be in my prayers this evening...

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

220 members (30Gibbs, 10gaugemag, 345dl, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 35 invisible), 2,765 guests, and 1,024 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,633
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.