Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by las
By the way, MN is at the fringe of the moose's southern thermal range. With all the other stresses, if regional temps do go up even slightly their population/range will recede. It ain't just one thang!

Poor bastids.....

Colder there than on the Kenai "moose range".

I saw a post by someone on here that said the Moose are vanishing from the Kenai. Any truth to that?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by las
By the way, MN is at the fringe of the moose's southern thermal range. With all the other stresses, if regional temps do go up even slightly their population/range will recede. It ain't just one thang!

Poor bastids.....

You're right about the temps; and diseases and parasites that go with it. But generally, I'd blame the start at about the 70s. Before that, black bear were nearly considered varmints. All deer hunting licences used to come with a bear tag. The forests were all young, having been clear-cut heavily; leaving lots of moose food. Wolves were newly protected. I hunted moose north of Sawbill lake in 1975. We had moose swimming in front of the boat, accross the lake during the whole trip. It was amazing! We saw probably 35 moose during the 6 days we hunted. I spent the last 25 years working in the "boundary waters", and rarely saw moose on the lakes. Lots of older locals can tell you stories of large groups of moose in the clear cuts back before the 70s. A lot of that young forest has matured since. Anyway, the drop in numbers has not been only during the last few years, its been happening for decades. Lots of pressure on the moose with all the changes in forest management, predator increases, and those damn commercials featuring sick puppies and sad music. Totally peeves me... mad

Oh, and while I'm peeved, I might as well add: FU T-bone! Hah!

Last edited by 100_dollar_Bill; 03/09/15. Reason: T-bone

There are many copies.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by las

Poor bastids.....

Without the tick stress and deer competion. It ain't just one thang!

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by las

Poor bastids.....

I saw a post by someone on here that said the Moose are vanishing from the Kenai. Any truth to that?

True. Old burns grew up.. Hard to feed on 40 foot tall birch/aspen. Probably 15 % of the moose population we had in the late 80s- early 90s. Wolf and bear predation levels same or increased. . Can you spell predator pit?

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by las
True. Old burns grew up.. Hard to feed on 40 foot tall birch/aspen. Probably 15 % of the moose population we had in the late 80s- early 90s. Wolf and bear predation levels same or increased. . Can you spell predator pit?

You're saying they need food!?!? Well I'll be!
Moose pasture! smirk

There are many copies.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 100_dollar_Bill

And there ya go! Its always about getting money for a program and spending that money. The helicopter and fixed wing they had circling spent over two hours in back of my place a week ago. They were as close as 200 yards from my house. They were apparently chasing "my" young cow and her calf (her first one) around, trying to see collars or something (they don't have collars). Its thick back there and I suspect they were trying to chase her out into the open. I doubt it was a capture crew; its way too thick to land and they didn't try to get back there through my land, the only way. But, of course, they could have just asked me or my neighbor about the moose. We've both been keeping track of them; She is about 5 years old and has been hanging around here her entire life. Her mother died on my property two years ago. I've been thinking she is in greater danger from wolves this winter, as the whitetail were all killed off from last winter's weather, this area's second coldest winter in recorded history. Wolves will be starving this winter.

Anyway, it seems pretty stupid to hassle the moose pair, the day before one of the coldest nights of the year (-25F that night), new mother cow, and young calf, hiding successfuly from the area wolves....so far. But, the guys have money and gas to burn, so up go the aircraft; to "persevere." At least preliminary reports seem to suggest that predation won't be ignored in the final report. Its obvious this time, and the state really has no reason to downplay the predation any longer. More wolf and bear tags please. That would help a little bit.

Bill

Neither I nor my neighbor have seen the two moose again.

Its my understanding that governor Dayton has suspended the study.

There are many copies.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Why are the moose overpopulating where there are no wolves? This is also proof global warming his not the problem for moose numbers at all. Grand Royal is an Island on the west side of Lake Superior very near Minnesotas declining moose numbers. And!!! ! ! ! If the idiot government should set up a moose hunt there ,, have a lottery to raise money to further study the moose and to just plain save the moose. But NO , now they want to let nature take it's course , let the island get eaten down to nothing and then, , , let the moose starve. What idiots we have when it comes to wildlife management. Better to plant more wolves than let the island get eaten up.

On Grand Royal Island there are 3 wolves left and the moose numbers are exploding. This is proof that wolves do a number on moose. Grand Royale is an island in Lake Superior not far from northern Minnesota.ng out of subjects. Lake Superior's Isle Royale, where the study has been conducted for nearly six decades, is down to its last three wolves.

As Nature journal reports, scientists have studied the relationship between moose and wolves on the 210-square-mile island for the last 57 years, but the population of carnivores has taken major hits through disease and birth defects over the past decade.

Enlarge
The last three wolves remaining on Isle Royale. (Michigan Technological University )
Isle Royale researchers say that the wolf population has plummeted to three in their most recent report, compared to nine wolves last year.
(MORE: Rare Gray Wolf Photographed in Grand Canyon Confirmed Killed)

John Vucetich, project leader and associate professor of wildlife ecology at Michigan Technological University, said in a statement that the wolf population is likely beyond redemption.

Vucetich and co-leader Rolf Peterson have called for 'genetic rescue' for years; meaning, with the importation of fresh wolves (and thus, fresh wolf DNA), the ailing population could have been bolstered and ultimately saved.

Now that window has shut.

"There is now a good chance that it is too late to conduct genetic rescue," Vucetich said.

Inbreeding, the researchers say, weakened the island's wolf population by introducing skeletal deformations and diseases that increased mortality rates.

While the study of predators will likely come to an end, the disappearing wolf population affords other scientific opportunities.

As the wolves vanish from Isle Royale, moose thrive. The researchers say that moose numbers jump by around 22 percent each year and range near 1,250 now. With no wolves to cut those numbers down, the voracious moose will continue to feast on the island's landscape until it's nearly barren.

There have been calls for intervention, as Vucetich and Peterson evidence, but some argue that a hands-off approach is best, according to Nature.

"Chances are good that one [of the remaining wolves] is a male and one is a female, and that is how the whole population started, so it would be interesting to see what happens in the next year," U.S. Geological Survey wolf biologist David Mech said. "I think we should just continue to study the situation and describe what happens."

MORE ON WEATHER.COM: Overrun by Animals

Last edited by ihookem; 05/31/15.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by 100_dollar_Bill
Before that, black bear were nearly considered varmints. All deer hunting licences used to come with a bear tag. The forests were all young, having been clear-cut heavily; leaving lots of moose food. Wolves were newly protected

Quite some time back, AK did a study on moose predation and found out black bears were far worse a problem than realized. The moose would calve down by the rivers and the Bears would just follow them down there when they started smelling the births.

Of course as stated, there are numerous factors.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It appears the "tracking collar" may be the issue. Anyway, Gov. Spooky put a stop to it via executive order last month.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

287 members (257 mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 34 invisible), 1,404 guests, and 1,087 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,225
Posts18,447,570
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.