Campfire Ranger
Kentucky has big deer, and elk!

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I'm also curious about the hunting opportunities especially deer in the Carolinas.
I've got adult/married kids living in North and South Carolina and the wife would like to be closer. I'm not so keen on moving.

I'm typing as the rare snow is falling outside and 10 deer are feeding behind my house. I've got plenty of places to hunt and fish around here, a lifetime hunting and fishing license and I'm a one-day drive from elk country. I kind of hate starting over and putting another 1000 miles between me and Wyoming.

Is hunting in SC and NC mainly private land? Hunting leases? Public land?

I might be better off just getting the wife a monthly plane ticket.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I've gone on some of the state hunting forums and seen folks speaking of hunting Clubs on private owned timber land, bout like we have here in South AL. I'm sure that's what I will have to do once I get there at least for a year or two while I meet other hunters and make some connections...

Roll Tide Roll, now lets go hunting!!!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I move to Crestview, Florida for the weather and beaches. Then head northwest to hunt mulies in South Dakota in the Fall.

TR

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I live 20 minutes North of Gulf Shores and Orange Beach and with most my family living here I have the beach covered even if we move towards the mountains.... Who knows, the Mts may get old pretty quick but every time we go up and stay it just feels right.

Roll Tide Roll, now lets go hunting!!!
IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Florida is growing up around me. By the time I retire, It wil be terrible. I'm thinking of buying property now and moving to Alabama when I retire. The grass is always greener I guess.

Last edited by fldoghunter; 03/02/15.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by LostArra
I'm also curious about the hunting opportunities especially deer in the Carolinas.
I've got adult/married kids living in North and South Carolina and the wife would like to be closer. I'm not so keen on moving.

I'm typing as the rare snow is falling outside and 10 deer are feeding behind my house. I've got plenty of places to hunt and fish around here, a lifetime hunting and fishing license and I'm a one-day drive from elk country. I kind of hate starting over and putting another 1000 miles between me and Wyoming.

Is hunting in SC and NC mainly private land? Hunting leases? Public land?

I might be better off just getting the wife a monthly plane ticket.

Lot of private land leasing and gun clubs mostly , public land is heavily pressured except in some locales. Most leases in my area are not actively looking for new members. I saw a lease yesterday on Craigslist 85 acres for 40 dollars an acre grin.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Heck, come up and explore around Guntersville, Scottsboro, Ft Payne, etc...not much need to leave the state....for anything you've mentioned.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 4ager
Might want to consider Virginia as well. The limit in most of the state is 2-per-day. Even in the non-overrun areas, you can take 5. Plenty of turkey (3 per year). Excellent waterfowl on the Bay and Tidewater, but upland birds are few and far between or on private shooting preserves. Freshwater fishing is excellent.

Both NC and VA have excellent bear hunting. TN has boar, as so some very limited areas in the Smokies in NC. SC has boar in the lowlands, I believe. SC, NC, and VA have coastal fishing and hunting opportunities as well.

If you look at the mountains of both Carolinas, TN, North Georgia, and Virginia, you're not going to go far wrong.

You've got 5 years. Start taking some road trips on long weekends and some vacation time off to visit places and see for yourself.

Lived in VA most of my life. Miss it, really. I filled trucks with deer and turkey, with a few bears for extra points. Still return every hunting season to hunt the farm and with family and friends. Definitely will retire there.

Most areas that have a decent population will also qualify for DMAP. Most years I took 8 to 10 deer at a minimum. If you put a steak beside a piece of venison at my house, my children will eat the venison every time. Close enough to the coast for surf or deep sea fishing, with rivers, lakes and streams for everything from LM Bass to trout.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

118 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 41rem, 300_savage, 14 invisible), 1,310 guests, and 829 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,447
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.