Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I have a 20 gauge Red Label that I purchased new in the spring of 1997 and it seems to work fine for a few rounds of trap and skeet each year as well as for pheasants, partridge, woodcock and doves.

I hunt with a few high volume shotgunners that don't want my plebian Ruger too close to the Merkel's, Perrazzi's and Cesar Gurrini's as if they might catch something from it.

At the end of the day our game bags weigh about the same.

I guess it's whatever floats your boat.

StarchedCover

Semper Fi
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by StarchedCover
I have a 20 gauge Red Label that I purchased new in the spring of 1997 and it seems to work fine for a few rounds of trap and skeet each year as well as for pheasants, partridge, woodcock and doves.

I hunt with a few high volume shotgunners that don't want my plebian Ruger too close to the Merkel's, Perrazzi's and Cesar Gurrini's as if they might catch something from it.

StarchedCover

I like nice shotguns, and I'd never feel slighted if I had to use a 20ga Red Label, especially the straight grip models. They swing well and look graceful. The market for such a gun is just not strong, and the Europeans had an enormous head start.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have an old Red Label 20, a gift from a friend, and while I don't shoot it a vast amount (have too many shotguns as well as too many rifles) it's a decent gun that fits me well.

The over-unders that feel like 2x4's to me are 12-gauge Browning Citoris, but that just proves that different shotguns fit different people differently.

Have had some mechanical problems with Euro-shotguns that are part of Beretta and wasn't impressed with customer service.

Then again, I'm kinda weird because in general I actually like German shotguns more than about any other country's, though I also have Italian, Spanish, Turkish and (of course) a number of American guns.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Bummer. I was glad to see that the Red Label had returned to production. Maybe they will come out with a Ruger American version? Yuck!!!

The LGS I frequent sold two new Red Labels and they were both returned to Ruger. Both had ejection issues, like the originals. Word travels fast...

Camp is where you make it.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by StarchedCover

StarchedCover

I had one years ago and shot it well, but I always felt it was a little to the hefty side for a 20 hunting gun. For a target gun, it would have been ok.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I had one of the original blue framed 20 ga Red Labels in the '80s. It kicked so hard with AA skeet loads I got rid of it. To put that in perspective, at the time, I was shooting trap competitively, averaging 5 to 7 thousand 12 gauge shells per year. The Red Labels have too much drop in the comb, they are stocked like iron sighted rifles, and that is why they kick. Winchester 101s are no better, by the way, and for the same reason. I have a 1970s 101 trap model that has been shot less than 200 times, it kicks like a mule. I still have it because you can't get anything for them.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 1moredeer, 1234, 10ring1, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,128 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,105
Posts18,464,217
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.