Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I have a new .260 that I am having built by Kampfeld Customs. It will weigh approx 7.5lbs and will have an Edge stock. I see that the VX3 3.5x10x40and VXR 3x9x40scopes are on sale at Cabelas for the same price. They are both the CDS models. I am leaning toward the VXR due to the 30mm tube and having the illuminated dot. I almost bought it this afternoon, but really dont know much about them

Please tell me which you would get and why. The salesman tells me they are on sale through tomorrow.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You think that you're going to get an opinion around here? Everyone here deals exclusively in fact! smile

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I'd go with the VX3. I think in a set of Talley lows that scope is about perfect. Don't see the advantage of the 30mm tube for the majority of situations, and I don't care for illuminated reticles. I followed the spirit of your post and included my opinions only, not to be clouded by facts.......

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I wouldn't buy a 3.
The 2 is so good that, if I didn't want the red dot feature, I wouldn't spend the money for a 3.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I asked the same question and went with the Vx3 but think #4 firedot is an awesome reticle. I compared a few of each side by side and thought the Vx3 glass a bit better. It was splitting hairs. Another hair that favored the Vx3 was weight as it was going on a light rifle. I honestly believe I over thought that aspect. That and I developed a hankering for a B and C as all of my others are #4. The Vx3 exceeded my expectations in brightness, color and ease of use. Eye relief is enormous. Like Ringworms' comment- these are all very good scopes so it really comes down to how much you want the lit reticle. If I did not already have #4's I would jump on a VxR.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a VXR in a 4-12 x 40. I prefer the eye box of it over my VX3s. I do agree the glass if the VX3 is slightly sharper and brighter, overall, than the VXR. That is really splitting hairs though. The VXR enables FAST target acquisition.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
My friend has two of the lower powered VXR 1.25-4's. I have shot it several times, the glass is decent, seems to hold zero fine, the clicks seem to be about right, and they did a decent job with the illumination. I have a 1-6 VX-6 which is better glass but for twice the price. I would buy a VXR over the VX3 anyday.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Seroiouisly, don't overlook the vx2.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 30mm tube of VX-R is needed for the circuitry of the illumination.

If you need/want illumination, I'd go that route. Otherwise, I'd go with the better glass and lighter weight of the VX-3.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I went digging at Leupold and got a nice surprise. I posted for Farmby and others. http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9643352#Post9643352

24hour campfire member questions being directly answered on Leupold's site.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by aalf

If you need/want illumination, I'd go that route. Otherwise, I'd go with the better glass and lighter weight of the VX-3.

+1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

what he said. I own two vxrs and would not get them again unless you are doing late and early hunting (predator & pig). I suspect the vxr may be a vx2 grade optic so consider vx2's also.
I do like my vxrs a lot though.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Possibly, but I have a Mark AR that's illuminated and it has a 1" tube. I like it, but would like to lose the hash marks on the crosswires. It cost almost as much as the VX-Rs, but has single bias springs.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I have a VXR 4x12x40. Best eye box of any scope I own. I also like the duplex reticle on the VXR. The thin part of the duplex is wider, and slightly thicker than the standard duplex on my other Leupold scopes. Easier for the old eyes to pick up, even without the red dot turned on...

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I originally asked for the opinion between the VX-3 and the VXR. I decided to get an upgrade for myself and really liked these two. Then someone (Ringworm) had to go and make some logical sense. So on the opinion of him, I went back to Cabelas and looked first through the VX-3 and the VXR.
I set them both to 9x and spotted a mounted spawned out salmon across the bldg. I looked at the colors and to see how clear it was to me. I decided that I could really see no difference that amounted to much. Then I asked to see the VX-2 and did the same.

I bought the VX-2!

Last edited by Greenbrier; 03/02/15.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
What did you spend the saved $150 on?

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Lol

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Greenbrier
I originally asked for the opinion between the VX-3 and the VXR. I decided to get an upgrade for myself and really liked these two. Then someone (Ringworm) had to go and make some logical sense. So on the opinion of him, I went back to Cabelas and looked first through the VX-3 and the VXR.
I set them both to 9x and spotted a mounted spawned out salmon across the bldg. I looked at the colors and to see how clear it was to me. I decided that I could really see no difference that amounted to much. Then I asked to see the VX-2 and did the same.

I bought the VX-2!

Good choice!

I'm going for a VX-R on my new .45/70 because I REALLY like the lighted reticle and figure the twin bias springs are a good investment on a hard kicker. Otherwise, the VX-2 or even the VX-1 would be my choice, based somewhat on the value of the rifle it's going on.

What fresh Hell is this?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 8 invisible), 1,562 guests, and 717 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,544
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.