Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Skidrow
Oh ya, I know.
Loving this whole conversation. Sitting back, sipping Scotch and LMAO. grin Kinda like when I go the the monthly WAC gunshow. Every time I go these days I see guns that have been for sale for 20 years or more. Most of them are on dealer's tables. Never could understand why a dealer would want to have a show only table. grin

I can actually understand a display only table.. Brings like minded people over to talk, folks with a gun of that type at home will talk about it (and occasionally sell), and it gets you in the show early to buy from other dealers. Basically, it's a buyer's ploy. I've thought about doing it locally.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
The dealers with display only tables are almost always located near the entrance to the show....first shot at anything that walks in.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can actually understand a display only table.. Brings like minded people over to talk, folks with a gun of that type at home will talk about it (and occasionally sell), and it gets you in the show early to buy from other dealers. Basically, it's a buyer's ploy. I've thought about doing it locally.

Yeah, there is that I guess. Guess maybe I got it wrong in that I always thought that if you went to the trouble to get an FFL and have a storefront dealership your priority would be to sell rather than buy. Given the winnowing out of FFLs during the clinton years I'm one of the few FFL in my area that isn't a storefront dealer. I'll handle your transfers and order a firearm for you if I can but I work out of my reloading room. If you're going to make the investment required to have a store, again, my thought would be that you're intent would be to sell rather than buy. Guess I missed something in economics 101. grin

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As all of you regulars know I display my 99's at collector's shows. This has resulted in a lot of people bringing 99's in to sell to me. I go to non-collector shows to buy but it had never occurred to me to display at these shows. Hmmmmm

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I walked into the Novi Antique Arms show once apon a time with a Ballard rifle, from the back then New ballard Co. Rifle was about 2 years old in 44-77, had decided to get into the 99s and out of the Black powder guns. 2 of the big Scam, I mean dealer jumped on me 10ft. into the door, let one guy hold the rifle to look at it they both wanted a price so I said 2K the guy Not holding the rifle shoved 2K in 100 dollar bills into my hand and said sold. fine with me. they were real close to a fist fight, started screming and yelling at each other, course security came over the guy running the show came over. it was a mess, as the guy holding the rifle said it was his but he was trying to dicker me down , LOW ball, Never said Ill take it. so the Dealer that gave me the 2K gets the rifle, im walking away and he say hey this is a newer gun , I said that I never said that is wasnt! I looked about new, not a 100 years old. I just kept walking. both dealers were mad at me and iv never done sales or bought from them ever again. Even tho when I brought My Shilo Sharps in a bit later the Low Ball guy asked to see it, I smiled and said NO!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlering
I walked into the Novi Antique Arms show once apon a time with a Ballard rifle, from the back then New ballard Co. Rifle was about 2 years old in 44-77, had decided to get into the 99s and out of the Black powder guns. 2 of the big Scam, I mean dealer jumped on me 10ft. into the door, let one guy hold the rifle to look at it they both wanted a price so I said 2K the guy Not holding the rifle shoved 2K in 100 dollar bills into my hand and said sold. fine with me. they were real close to a fist fight, started screming and yelling at each other, course security came over the guy running the show came over. it was a mess, as the guy holding the rifle said it was his but he was trying to dicker me down , LOW ball, Never said Ill take it. so the Dealer that gave me the 2K gets the rifle, im walking away and he say hey this is a newer gun , I said that I never said that is wasnt! I looked about new, not a 100 years old. I just kept walking. both dealers were mad at me and iv never done sales or bought from them ever again. Even tho when I brought My Shilo Sharps in a bit later the Low Ball guy asked to see it, I smiled and said NO!

Now THAT'S the way to do it!!!!!!!!!!!!! smile smile

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A clear instance of greed clouding their judgement. I love it!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The gun was still worth 2K I had 1600 something into it, I also had the dies brass ect in the Jeep that I fig id let go with the Ballard, but not after that sold them later. but wish I still had the gun. was neat, took a nice Black Bear with it up in Canda.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
M
M
Guns America (910585847) auction for a 99 in 303 British ( 7.7 X 56 MM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It must have been made after WWI. The Montreal Home Guard wanted their rifles in 303 British but settled for 303 Savage because the development costs would have increased the price of the rifle and development time would have delayed delivery. If this rifle had been produced before WWI the development costs and time would have been already done. Wonder what the serial number is? Wildwood is too experienced to put down the wrong caliber?

wyo1895
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They wrote down the wrong cartridge, it's 303 Savage.

M
M
A beginners mistake ?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Could be an honest mistake entering it into the gunsamerica site that probably has 303 British as a cartridge choice on a dropdown box but not 303 Savage. Or somebody had a brain fart.

I know I've ran into multiple Savages listed as 303 British at gun shops and every one was a 303 Savage. Local Cabela's even had a tag written up that way that I had them fix.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
IIRC that gun is an early G.

No way it's 303 British.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As all of you regulars know I display my 99's at collector's shows. This has resulted in a lot of people bringing 99's in to sell to me. I go to non-collector shows to buy but it had never occurred to me to display at these shows. Hmmmmm

Very true but as far as I know you're not a store front FFL. Thus apples to oranges. I'm sure that displaying 99s promotes having 99s brought to your table and more power to you for that.

Minichamp,

Ain't no way a 303 British would ever fit any M99 action. Even the reworked action to accommodate the Winchester .308 family of cartridges would be way to short.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The part of my comment about the rifle actually being 303 British was tongue in cheek. The part about the reasoning behind not chambering the MHG musket in 303 British is the data I have at this time. It probably would have required lengthening the action like Savage did on the 30-06 prototype which would have been cost prohibitive no to mention too time consuming with a war going on.

wyo1895
[email protected]

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

300 members (1lesfox, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 28 invisible), 1,779 guests, and 930 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,601
Posts18,454,632
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.