Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
So about a 2 years ago my dad wound up with a Remington #1 action for doing some work for someone. It was in a box full of stuff and we had no idea what it was worth if anything. I posted a few pictures of it and asked some questions here on the fire and found out it was possible worth being the base for a build. After some discussions with my father I reached out to one of the fire member who has the most knowledge of rebuilding these fine old rifles.

Crossfire agreed to take a look and verify the safety of the action for a build. After his confirmation of soundness my father and I approached him about being the person to build a rifle from that action.

He agreed and we were off to the races.

My father and I have never been able to do a father son project. Neither were really into cars nor did we have the funds to get started down that road. When it came to woodworking it was always a working relationship not anything just for fun. This seemed like the perfect thing for us to make into that long elusive project. I can truly say I believe it has brought us closer together. I have spent more enjoyable conversations discussing little things that we wanted done and how we want it to look etc.

So I want to say a very sincere thank you to Greg you have enabled me to spend many fine hours in conversation with my dad that I never had before. We both have been excited about watching this build progress. I know he has enjoyed many hours getting to know you by phone. I stayed out of those conversations for the reason I wanted this rifle to have my dads ultimate influence and his conversations with you were a big part of that. I think you captured every detail that him and I spoke about. I think you also captured what his essence is and that was important. Thanks for giving this old action new life and a new place of honor in my family. Greg you are an artist and a gentleman and I am proud to know you.

Ultimately although this is a father son project it in reality is a son to father project.

Thank you Dad for being the man you are, thank you for sacrificing your youth to raise me, thank you for teaching me that the hungry wolf hunts the hardest, thank you for telling me you don't make the rules! Most of all Thank You!!

So although this build is not yet done we are on the downhill slide.

We started with this:

Here is the action at the start of the project:

[Linked Image]

Disassembled:

[Linked Image]

Cleaned up:

[Linked Image]

And are now at this:

[Linked Image]

For a full breakdown of the build it is in the BPCR section:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8815281/1

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

GB1

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Nice rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WOW, I am glad you put this here and pointed us to the original story. WONDERFUL project and rifle there!

Greg aka Crossfiretroops, that was and is some amazing machine and weld and gunsmithing work there. I am always impressed with guys like you that can make things like you do. I have no such similar abilities. Mostly because I have no patience!

Love the rifle and the story.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
That is very slick and very sad as the next generation of Greg's are about non-existent.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
so tell me Mack, will the rifle be 'living' in Minn, or in Fla? laugh

My son and I are best buds forever as well. He already has half my guns. smile

Sam......

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
cool story nice turn out i have an old rem no that i need to do something with someday

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Sam,

It will live in MN but have visiting right to FL. I want to hunt a hog with it here preferably with my dad along for the adventure.

Mack

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I am very happy this project has came together as well as it has.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That butt stock (one of Treebone Carving's fine pieces) will lose a good 5/8" of length today, and than some pondering will ensue. It's to wear a rugged, somewhat rounded steel butt plate of some sort, but we're wanting to keep the face as broad and deep as possible.
There are a couple of options pending, ....ranging from Old Mauser to 1700's vintage French Smooth Bore musket artifacts.

Mack, seems your Dad and I are always laughing when we visit on the telephone, I'm sure looking forward to meeting you both at a gathering.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Crossfire is a combination of craftsman and magician.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very cool! Thanks for sharing.

Cross did an old Favorite that was handed down to me. Metal work was superb.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Greg,

I just talked to him at lunch and I know he truly enjoys the conversations you have. I have an inkling you 2 will be seeing each other face to face to swap the rifle when the time is right. I know we would both like to see this happen in person rather than a big brown truck delivering it.

Thanks for chiming in and for the email update today.

Jim Jr.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Outstanding thread!

I like liberals-------------------------------------they make good bear bait! grin
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Buttstock is trimmed. search for a buttplate begins:

[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I can't wait to see that stock finished. I can see hints of some fabulous grain!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

708 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,688 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,152
Posts18,465,058
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.