Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Ya can't kill much of anything with the .223 unless it has been blessed by the Poobah. I recall that service is free but that's subject to change. Otherwise the bullets will bounce off.

He probably doesn't recall, but he blessed my .22 CB shorts years ago. They are pure poison on hogs. Really.

Trust me,

Dan

[Linked Image]

I am loving back to back posts where one guy says you should use a .308 and the next is OK with CB shorts laugh

For future reference the Poobah will not bless any bullets over .224 diameter. wink

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
BP-B6

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I think is stems from recognizing that " gonna die" and "dead right there" are not the same thing.
Like the difference between shooting one behind the ear or through the lungs.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Re: My earlier post comparing hogs to deer. If you have to follow up a badly hit one, while any animal can be dangerous, I think the average hog would be a bit more dangerous than the average deer.

Also, some people are interested in shooting as many hogs as they can, which is seldom the case on deer. Here, the semi-auto AR platform is an advantage. However, after the first shot, the shots are going to be less than ideal, and if you hope to recover any animal you hit, you might want more cartridge. In this case, a semi-auto .308 looks pretty good.

In short, the right choice for hunting any animal often depends on factors such as range, terrain, etc. But it seems that with hogs, there are more things to consider than with deer, i.e. head shots, how many you are trying to kill at once, if you want to recover them or not, etc.

If we could all shoot as well as the young German(?) in the oft posted hog hunting video, we would all be better off. That man can truly run a bolt gun!

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
If we could all shoot as well as the young German(?) in the oft posted hog hunting video, we would all be better off. That man can truly run a bolt gun!

Amen... That boy can shoot...

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Would not be my even second choice, but with proper shot placement and a good bullet it will indeed work. I would take my 9.3X62, I know for a fact it will bust things up and the hog will not go very far. If needed will bust through the "plate" as well. Something a 223 may not. Most hogs and hunting of them I have done does not allow very many shots or chances at second shots so the ability to rapidly fire more is moot.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
This thread is pretty revealing about who's killed many hogs and who hasn't. I've yet to see the hog I couldn't drop with a .223, and I've seen, and killed, some big ones. Big bore cartridges will work too but are not necessary. I have friends who hunt them with knives....

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
My son in law lives in Texas, he's looking to buy an AR. Says he wants it for killing hogs.

Does anyone have experience with the .223 for hogs? Most of what I read suggests something a little heavier.

P

A .223 is fine for hogs, but getting more than one (good) shot is rare. Sounds like he just wants a toy, which is good!

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Like most things (assuming we aren't making head shots), the bullet does the work and many bullets for the .223 can work well on hogs. I guess it depends on what you set out to accomplish.

I will suggest that there are few cartridges that will make a pig leak from two holes as readily as a 300 TSX in a 400 Whelen. Is it necessary, no, but you wont ever be faced with a long or difficult tracking job.

Truth be told, I've seen a better blood trail with a .224 compared to a 35 caliber rifle; the diff was bullets, and we're talking premo stuff.

IMO, good game bullets come before good cartridges...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
PHARM.....Rost beat me to it. FT. BENNING says you gotta use whatever firearms are in use for the particular season, sooo...
During small game season I used rim fires-- L.Rs and Mags; both solid and H.P.s AND... .17HMRs with HOR. 20gr XTPs or SPEER's 20 gr. Game Point. Either right behind the shoulder in the lungs or right behind the ear.... they are D_E_A_D kilt. During regular firearms season for deer, I used either my Savage Mod 12 or my Mini-14- both in .223- with Nos. 60gr Partitions, Sierra 63 SMPs or SPEER's 70 gr SPs. Never lost a pig. I'd think 55gr FMJs would work if allowed in your area, provided they were put in the boiler room. or behind the ear. HAPPY HUNTING...
WILL.

DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF:......IT'S ALL SMALL STUFF!
D@MN; I miss my meds.
THE WINDS OF TYRANNY HAVE SHIFTED. BETTER TIMES AHEAD.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
From what I understand, Cambodia is having good results with old Russian landmines.
Boys in tehas use tannerite.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=29d_1412811329

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
We've killed truckloads using hornady 75 bthp, but the extra mass helps. I also been using the 300 blackout using 110 barnes.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
A lot of good points here....

I'm a huge fan of the below/behind the ear shot and will take that shot anytime I can get it done that way. I also know that a big boars hide will eat small bullets ocassionaly. In the event two holes aren't punched will leave absolutely NO blood trail at times, even when vitals are smoked. A big, gobby fat sow will do the same at times by filling entry and exit holes with enough fat to keep a blood trail to minimal/nonexsistent till said fat is jarred loose or knocked away by trees, brush, etc. All in all.... They ain't hard to kill. If your 100% against head shots, go with a good, hard bullet in any caliber. Another thing I've learned is if taking behind shoulder shots..... Try to stay in the lower 1/3 as the shields are thinner in that area and the leakage significant....

If you are into just plugging them as someone said..... I've seen more hogs die than any other way combined through an EOTech or over a gunners shoulder with a simple PMC 55FMJ to the front 1/3..... Long before it was cool and blasted all over YouTube....

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Have yet to see a hog not drop on the spot with a 62 ttsx.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i shot a sow a few years back, a little over 200 dressed, and we found a perfectly-mushroomed .224 soft-point in the hindquarter....skin had grown over it. we also saw some spectacular scarring on the scapula, same side. bullet glanced off the scap, stayed just under the skin, came to rest in the buttcheek. coulda been from an ar-15, coulda been a .222--no idea. but it was a .22 centerfire soft-point.

we've also dropped numerous hogs with .223's by not trying to shoot through their shoulder blades. earhole 'em....they won't even run a foot. wink

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ingwe
Ive only killed a handful, but I find if you can hit them in the brain, they die real dead in front of a .223

Use a good bullet....just in case.

^^^PREZACTLEY ^^^

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
yep, I have killed with both 223 and 308, the 223 with good bullets works the same, people that have to track them more with a 223 than a 308 are shooting them in the back half of the body.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by jimmyp
yep, I have killed with both 223 and 308, the 223 with good bullets works the same, people that have to track them more with a 223 than a 308 are shooting them in the back half of the body.

That's fairly easy to do when the are running away at 30 MPH.
[Linked Image]

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
560 members (260Remguy, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 53 invisible), 2,341 guests, and 1,088 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,204
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.