Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by T LEE
But what is the prize? smile smile
In the west we'd call it a good water year and look forward to ample irrigation water for a change.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
...Boston surpassed the previous record of snowfall a few days ago, one which had stood a while, turns out. 143 years long...

Kamo--this is why I left Rhode Island. (attended Wentworth Institute of Technology, Boston)

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dayum it was weird here..almost 70 eek

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Rub it in.....

Did a summit today followed by a run across/down the ridge for around 8.5 miles. Layers are still a necessity.....never broke low 20s.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Global warming or an early spring for Wyoming. grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
very strange year

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Yup.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Been averaging 87-89 here last several days, 65-68 nights. New moon. No wonder I'm edgy! 4 days of rain forecast next week, followed by big drop in the barometer. Should be lots of movement.
Gotta check water temps on the west coast. I'm guessing snoookies are probably restless for maybe a week or two already.
68F and rising usually starts gettin' their blood runnin' good.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
Your wetland should be prime for ducks this spring. Maybe put up a few wood duck boxes?

Yours in snow,

CF

That's a good thought, CFT. Thanks. One of my long time honey holes, now just a quarter mile from the house, is a swamp where lots of woodies can be had. I think I just might make a few and put them out. It's a win-win.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by eyeball
Kamo, what do those liberal corksuckers say when you ask them why they are wanting global cooling?

I don't play well with them, so unless an in-my-face type encounter happens upon me, I mostly just spit in their general direction, metaphorically and literally.

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Being chit upon with more white stuff than any Bostonian has in nearly a century and a half!

Congrats on your dubious distinction, my friend!

The west has been crazy warm. Nearly all the local ski resorts have closed most or all of their operations.

Got a feeling we're in for a hell of a fire season on this side of the divide.

I've heard that the skiing in some of these parts has been epic, though I haven't strapped on skis in a few years. Coulda', woulda', shoulda'...

Hope your fire predictions fall flat. I can't even imagine dealing with some of the stuff I see on the idiot box, when tens of thousands++ acres ignite in a hell-like firestorm.

Snowing on the drive in today. Didn't amount to anything more'n a couple inches, but being that the first day of spring was yesterday, well, I gotta' hand it to Ma Nature. She sure can be a fickle old bitch. Hope she sees fit to give us as much good, or at least toss us a bone come the next three seasons as bad this winter past. wink

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Darn, i was hoping you got some deer in the HL looks when you tripped them with critical thinking. grin

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by local_dirt
I'm guessing snoookies are probably restless for maybe a week or two already.
68F and rising usually starts gettin' their blood runnin' good.

Neat. Haven't caught a snook, but they look like fun and I hear they eat very well. We need 55F for the bass to start running up here. It's gonna' be awhile...

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Darn, i was hoping you got some deer in the HL looks when you tripped them with critical thinking. grin

Sheep such as those don't do critical thinking, sir. They just shuffle along en masse, oblivious and frightened of their own shadows. The only scary part is that they travel is such vast flocks up this way...

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Yep. There should be a season. Btw, how was your duck hunting season on the east side?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Yep. There should be a season. Btw, how was your duck hunting season on the east side?

Fair to middlin'. Winter took a long time to get here (though boy when she came through it was like a freight train), and when our deep freeze comes late, it can be tough. Thing is, if all the backwater beaver ponds, swamps, sloughs, lakes, rivers, etc., etc., don't freeze, as long as there is food available, the ducks won't move. It's when the freeze comes early, like mid-December, that we do particularly well on the coast and on the larger rivers, as the birds are forced to evacuate from the water bodies locking up and will head for the coast and/or open water. Or, head south, of course.

We of course will make it a point to find them, but since certain places with appropriate cover and food get thick with birds, if you shoot them too much they'll skedaddle.

Shot up some black ducks and hunted some local spots early, but by in large it wasn't a year to write home about. Looking forward to next season. Got a trip booked and paid for to finally get after my king eider and harlequin on some wee island off the AK coast. Will likely be adding a couple other flavors I'm missing in the collection in ID before making the leg west to AK, as well as some salmon and steelhead. A nice long season of local fishing in fresh and salt, and dreams of that trip will get me through the dreaded heat that is sure to come in summer. Ah, well... wink Cheers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
32 lows and 50 highs

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Got a trip booked and paid for to finally get after my king eider and harlequin on some wee island off the AK coast. Will likely be adding a couple other flavors I'm missing in the collection in ID before making the leg west to AK, as well as some salmon and steelhead. A nice long season of local fishing in fresh and salt, and dreams of that trip will get me through the dreaded heat that is sure to come in summer. Ah, well... wink Cheers.

St. Paul Island perchance? Had a buddy who went a few years ago. He's hunted ducks nearly everywhere. He said that's the best trip of his career. Sounds like a blast!

I'm probably Nodak bound, then maybe P.E.I. for blacks. Another buddy goes every year. Natives make decoys out of mud on the flats. Magnificent birds. Great shooting too.

FYI- Here's a link to the DU's woodduck box building plans. Love to see pictures of new fledglings this spring!

http://www.ducks.org/media/Conservation/GLARO/_documents/_library/_landowner/WoodDuck_NestBox.pdf

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Aleutian Island Waterfowlers is the outfit. And I'm pretty psyched already, thanks. Amongst my waterfowling buddies here, there are about 300 collective years of duck hunting locally. Know how many kings out of those years have been taken? ONE. As such, I figured I'd have to travel if I wanted one for the collection. And so it shall be. wink

I've read about the straw and mud decoys used by natives, but my experiences over the years have all been with wood and plastic (fancy shcmancy! wink ). And a few dead birds too, but anyway I'm pretty sure the PEI/CAN limit on black ducks is two, double our one bird limit and that of Maine and NH as well. Also, if I'm not mistaken they still allow the use of sink boxes up there in Canada. Sounds like a great trip, but being that the black duck is a native duck here and seen all over, I'd not travel anywhere to specifically hunt them, except as an aside to chasing other species. Love to hear about your trip when back, and if passing through here en route, let me know.

Thanks for the woodie box link as well, friend.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

333 members (160user, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 16penny, 12344mag, 29 invisible), 1,712 guests, and 955 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,178
Posts18,465,550
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.