Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for all the replies and to those who have replied about fuel related issues, I have had no fuel related issues, only cheap plastic parts problems. It must be that all the manufacturers are using these type of parts on there outboards. Never thought I'd have these problems with a new outboard, but must be Murphys law extends to the water as well.

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
BP-B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Ran a 90HP Merc on the flats boat for 7 years until selling last year. Prior to owning that boat, had a Yamaha, but never had a problem with that Merc motor. Couple things mentioned above are very good preventive measures. Seafoam and STA-BIL are your friends. Run ethanol free gas as much as possible. If there's one candidate that'll screw with an outboard, that ethanol is it. Stay away from it as much as possible, if you can. I also installed an inline fuel filter that mounted right on the transom. Twist the petcock, drain the bad stuff, and bingo.. back in business.

I've had a 90 hp, EFI Merc 4 stroke for 5 years now. I'm very satisfied with it. Only time I had a problem was once using ethanol gas. It took a lot longer to get the bad gas out than it took to get new back in. DO NOT use ethanol near the water. The two don't mix.

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by boatboy
The larger motors 150 and up are still made in WI

Hank

"Mercury Marine's primary business is outboard motors. Mercury Outboards, 30 Hp and less, are made by Tohatsu in Japan.[1] Mercury Marine builds 40, 50 and 60 horsepower outboard motors in Suzhou, China.[2] Mercury also manufactures engines over 75 horsepower at its facility in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin in the United States."

Click Here

I should note here that Mercury / Tohatsu engines 30hp and under are made in a Japanese plant that is a joint venture between Mercury and Tohatsu. Also, all Evinrude small outboards are now made by the Mercury / Tohatsu joint venture in Japan. And to further confuse things, all Nissan outboards are rebranded Mercury / Tohatsu engines.

So why do the 30hp and under engines sold under the Mercury name command a price premium? It's simple, Mercury has a large dealer network across the U.S. and Canada. If you need warranty repairs on your Mercury, a dealer is usually nearby. That may not be the case with Tohatsu and Nissan outboards.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are subtle differences in the motors. A 25 Merc will out run a 25 Tohatsu. But the Tahatsu will outlast the Merc.

Reason I know, my Dad is a commercial fisherman and probably put more miles on a motor than all of us combined (just kidding). Its nothing to put 50 miles a day and he has put over 100 miles a day, lots of times.

He runs a 25 hp Tohatsu on a 15' net boat and the one he bought last year is the 4th one he has owned in 25 years. They are cheaper in price than the Mercs and out last them.

They do sound different than the other motors.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by NathanL
I thought those size Mercury motors weren't built by Mercury, but by Toahatsu or something. I'm not sure where the cut off is but I thought it was 40hp.

According to the mechanic on Wednesday, they're all made in China now.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
1988 Yamaha 40 horse pump tiller handle finally total rebuild from top to bottom in September 2012 and working on the next 24 years

On our shallow clear rivers Mercury motors are call "Welfare motors"

They only work when the want to

[Linked Image]

Pumps and weld get it done on thin water

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
Best motors I ever had were yamaha.

That said, i'd buy a honda right now, if it was a new one and I had the cash...

I was in to my 'my dealer' last November to retrieve the lower unit they had rebuilt for me for my 90 Honda- which has seen 12 seasons in the salt. I was talking with the chief mechanic about the next motor when mine gets too tired. The new 90s are FI-ed and I was wondering about economy improvements and power. He told me that I was just as well off with the older carbed version, that it would probably last a good time longer yet, and that the only way to improve on a 4S would be if I went with the 90 Yamaha. The mechanic personally ran E-tec and said that it was quite possibly the best of the bunch as long as a person was able and willing to stay on top of things…using correct fuel especially. (They're a 3-way dealer of Yam-Hon-and Rude, so he wasn't promoting someone else's dog.)

Last edited by Klikitarik; 03/22/15.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a 50hp 4 stroke. Giant POS. Dealer told me that the 40 and 50 were problems.

Last edited by JDK; 03/23/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm just a cheap basterd, I guess...

I've got a '75 75hp evinrude on my big boat and a '78 25hp evinrude on the small boat. Until they crater, I'm gonna keep running them.

If I had to buy a new motor today, I'd go with a another evinrude or a tohatsu.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
last mercury i bought was a 1999 125hp.great motor,ran nothing but amsoil synthetic oil in it and a good shot of amsoil powerfoam a few times a year. [Linked Image]

IC B3

J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Just responding to the "Merc are cheaper" comments. I have spent the last month and a half pricing 25 hp tillers. Locally, downstate, and on line. With the exception of Honda, I can buy every other manufacturer cheaper (often far cheaper) than Mercury or Tohatsu. I was at the Bangor Boat show yesterday and the merc dealers there said that they would match any printed price I had. I walked away quickly and there is no way in hell would I own another one.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Extended warranties usually favor those issuing them, not those buying them.

Everybody makes a good product these days. We are lightyears ahead of what we used to have, as far as outboards go. Lots of factors come into play as to how long an outboard lasts.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
For all I know, this part is unavailable now.
If parts are going to be a problem, I would get it fixed and trade it.

If you can get the correct part #, look online for it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JDK
Just responding to the "Merc are cheaper" comments. I have spent the last month and a half pricing 25 hp tillers. Locally, downstate, and on line. With the exception of Honda, I can buy every other manufacturer cheaper (often far cheaper) than Mercury or Tohatsu. I was at the Bangor Boat show yesterday and the merc dealers there said that they would match any printed price I had. I walked away quickly and there is no way in hell would I own another one.

Buying a black Mercury is like buying a green John Deere.... you pay an awful lot for the paint.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Tracks
Originally Posted by NathanL
I thought those size Mercury motors weren't built by Mercury, but by Toahatsu or something. I'm not sure where the cut off is but I thought it was 40hp.

I think it everything below 25 hp. I have a 8hp Tohatsu, great little motor and far cheaper than the Mercs

Right. If it's Tohatsu...it's good.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
This is the best running Outboard I ever Owned.....Same Motor as Mercury... These EFI Motors are sweet runners..... [img:center][Linked Image][/img]

Last edited by KentuckyMountainMan; 03/23/15.

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by rost495
Best motors I ever had were yamaha.

That said, i'd buy a honda right now, if it was a new one and I had the cash...

I was in to my 'my dealer' last November to retrieve the lower unit they had rebuilt for me for my 90 Honda- which has seen 12 seasons in the salt. I was talking with the chief mechanic about the next motor when mine gets too tired. The new 90s are FI-ed and I was wondering about economy improvements and power. He told me that I was just as well off with the older carbed version, that it would probably last a good time longer yet, and that the only way to improve on a 4S would be if I went with the 90 Yamaha. The mechanic personally ran E-tec and said that it was quite possibly the best of the bunch as long as a person was able and willing to stay on top of things…using correct fuel especially. (They're a 3-way dealer of Yam-Hon-and Rude, so he wasn't promoting someone else's dog.)

Very interesting. Amazing that quality changes as years go by....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by tedthorn
1988 Yamaha 40 horse pump tiller handle finally total rebuild from top to bottom in September 2012 and working on the next 24 years

On our shallow clear rivers Mercury motors are call "Welfare motors"

They only work when the want to

[Linked Image]

Pumps and weld get it done on thin water

My first yamaha was 1983... its still running the river, has who knows how many hours on it, and has had a carb kit once...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Oldman03
I'm just a cheap basterd, I guess...

I've got a '75 75hp evinrude on my big boat and a '78 25hp evinrude on the small boat. Until they crater, I'm gonna keep running them.

If I had to buy a new motor today, I'd go with a another evinrude or a tohatsu.

That 75 hp Evinrude will outlast you. Spray a little clear lacquer (99 cent spray can from Wal-Mart) on the wires and coils and she's good to go for sho.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
i used to do maintnence for some guys that rented out boat and motors and those little Tohatsu were very reliable motors

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
123 members (257 mag, 6mmCreedmoor, 160user, 35, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 14 invisible), 1,775 guests, and 821 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.