Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I always wear a good set of headphones. It does feel a lot different wearing them as in it isolates you from everything else. I liked to have my pitbull with me back when I used to go a lot. He would make big circles around me in the woods keeping me in sight, that would help keep away that feeling that someone was sneaking up on me. smile

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I've read about treasure hunters in England really hitting it big when finding caches of ancient Roman gold. They're rare, of course, but some have been found. Apparently, to avoid long court cases, England has defined a legal policy on how the loot is split between the finder, the land owner, and the government.

When I was on deployment to the Med in the Marines I was out flying with my CO. He was real interested in Roman history on the African continent. He had some maps of certain Roman battles and we landed in Tunisia, out in the middle of know where and he got out with his metal detector and started looking for Roman artifacts. He had planned on doing this since he had taken command of the squadron, knowing we were going to deploy to club med.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Raeford
My money is on my young lab digging up a pot-o-gold in our yard. He has been getting a lot of false readings so far.

Train him to sniff out truffles wink

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Originally Posted by Buckskin

I doubt that I'd be using whichever purchase I make, a great deal of time, but I would like to buy something that allows for discarding pop tops, bottle caps, ect., and has a easy learning curve.

Respects,
Richard

When you start trying to tune out bottle caps & the other junk, you lose sensitivity...some machines have "tone" & digital readout "discrimination" but I know a guy that was nugget hunting with a popular "gold" detector & got a screaming signal that was thought to be iron... his buddy dug that same target not 5 minutes later & unearthed a nice 3/4 ounce nugget not 2 inches below the surface...even if you use a machine that will most of the time be pretty spot on as far as identifying what the signal is...one of the first things you need to learn is to dig everything...when you pass up digging up what probably is a rusty old can, you'll feel pretty stupid when your buddy digs that target & finds that rusty old can (or jar) & it's filled with old coins or cash. blush

Dig everything.

Not only dig everything, but after you dig down and find your target, make another sweep over the hole with the coil to make sure you don't get another ping. On more than one occasion a deeper nugget has been found over a shallower one. And not to mention many cases where something valuable was left after something was found on top of it.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
There are probably arguments that every hobby is a waste of time.

If you think you will enjoy it, do it.

Exactly.

Likely not going to get rich, but it gets a feller outside.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I bought one years ago with the idea I'd use it to look for lost aluminum arrows behind my backstop. It works great for that.

I've used it to look for coins in a dirt parking lot at a couple of boat ramps with the permission from some park rangers. After looking for a couple of hours, I didn't have enough change to buy a cold drink. Part of the deal was that I throw away any trash I dug up. I doubt that I could get that permission again and don't think I want to try.

I have found several rings and necklaces, but I had a general idea where those were lost and was asked to look for them.

The greatest value was the time I spent with my boys when they were growing up looking for stuff. They would get as excited about an old button off some kids jeans as they would have if we had found a gold coin.

Harry
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I use a Fisher QuickSilver. Mainly for coin, it picks up round
semi-round objects. I use the headphones, the tones help alot.
Always check under old clothes lines. I need to go out more.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pete E

Depends how much effort you put in, what you want out of it and what areas you have to detect..

Over here in the UK, its a bit of a geeky hobby which attracts some very serious enthusiasts.

Given the rich and colourful history of the UK, making genuine and exciting finds is definitely a possibility and every few years someone seems to find a hoard of gold or silver coins.

That said, the actual detecting is only part of the hobby..

Many enthusiasts spend hours and hours doing research looking for likely sites ie former villages, roads, houses, churches ect..With online aerial photo's now available this research often identifies sites not previously known.

Once they locate a likely site they then have to gain legal access from the land owner, probably striking a deal over any potential finds, although a minority will simply trespass and work the site that way, often at night..

That'll get you shot in a lot of places...

Last edited by WyColoCowboy; 03/26/15.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a Radio Shack model back in the early 70's, it picked out plenty of junk and I grew tired of if quick, preferring my bicycle and Yamaha 60.

I avoid crowds pretty much all of the time, but I did think it would be fun to search Buffalo Bayou west of downtown Houston after a big event, like FreedomFest.

Dave

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
always wanted to try it, i like hiking and it goes along with the rockhounding and fossil hunting i already like to do....may have to look out for a good lightly used model from someone that decided it wasnt for them laugh whole lot of homesteads around here.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by rattler
always wanted to try it, i like hiking and it goes along with the rockhounding and fossil hunting i already like to do....may have to look out for a good lightly used model from someone that decided it wasnt for them laugh whole lot of homesteads around here.....

Weren't you a your ex involved in a newspaper? With connections to other local publishers, especially ones who have archives of old printings, I'd think you may be ahead of the game from the git go as far as research goes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Originally Posted by rattler

Weren't you a your ex involved in a newspaper? With connections to other local publishers, especially ones who have archives of old printings, I'd think you may be ahead of the game from the git go as far as research goes.

yeah she owns part of two area papers.....prolly have a couple years worth of spots without touching the archives though, my family has been here for most of 100 years and know some places ild hit and even have permission to be on....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Way back when, it was common to bury/hide valuables...the older the location, the better...if you decide to do it Sheridan, remember....dig every signal you get...clean the area the best you can & then return with a "Minelab" pulse induction (GP series) model. You'd be amazed at how much deeper they'll find stuff...especially the bigger targets. Be forewarned though...I've dug boot tacks almost at near 2' depth... eek

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here in SC one of my former coworkers was big into it. IN addition to the verrrry nice detector he had this little hand held unit that you could put into the hole after digging to see if there was anything there. He paid for his by taking it to Myrtle Beach and sweeping the beaches at dawn every day. he would also work the fields and similar areas after concerts and football game parking areas, that kind of thing, so it is not like he was finding treasures or any of that, and he was less than scrupulous about advertising the lost items found

That said, if you are into ti, good luck

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 11point, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 55 invisible), 2,956 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,354
Posts18,468,882
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.