-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Far to few of stories like this see the light of day!
Thanks for posting.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

What would the market be for a book of this kind of true story? Stories like this are really difficult to write, because my own standards are that it MUST BE perfect and must give the reader the experience I felt.

Some would be hunting tales, based on truth grin, but the emphasis on truth and God in the wilderness. Basically, worshiping Him and seeing Him as we enjoy the bush country and harvest critters.

Also, I am Christian/Catholic to the very marrow of my bones, so it is understood that ALL comes from God. As Saint Augustine said, "All is Grace," meaning that all we have, literally all we experience, literally all of life itself, is unmerited favor from the Almighty.

Any market for that???

Guaranteed, of course, that any and all profits would go to the education of grade school kids who cannot afford a classical (read that, a Catholic) education. All funds over costs would be added to the Steve & Karen Timm Education Endowment Fund at Christ the King Catholic Grade School. Or we could start a new one; The 24HourCampfire Education Endowment Fund at Christ the King Catholic Grade School.

Guys, you cannot believe these kids. Brings tears to my eyes ... literally.

Prolly throw in a bunch of Grandpa Hank stories; most of them unpublished and (I believe) pretty good stuff.

Is a book a good idea??

Please be honest.

Blessings,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I would definitely be the first in line Brother!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Any market for that???"

Regrettably, I think not.

Books of short stories by the same author don't sell well until after the author becomes famous.... and dies.

My favorite book of that type was "Tailfeathers" by Gene Hill, but I don't think it did all that well in the sales area. I COULD be wrong about that.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
tag

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

OK, it would never sell. And curdog says a guy's gotta be dead for a one-writer book to be popular.

And for a fact, I will never be famous ... same stuff, different day.

At least, my blog is FREE and anyone who wishes to read it can do so and at NO CHARGE. It's impossible to beat that.

Considering the fact that my blog has about 1,000 "hits" per week, I guess a few folks read it.

Easter Blessings,

Steve

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Steve

I would certainly buy the book.

Also your blog is an absolute joy to read, thank you for keeping it going.

I had missed the step stool story. What a great tale, so heartwarming.

All the best to you and yours

Brandon

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dogzapper

OK, it would never sell. And curdog says a guy's gotta be dead for a one-writer book to be popular.

At least, my blog is FREE and anyone who wishes to read it can do so and at NO CHARGE. It's impossible to beat that.

Considering the fact that my blog has about 1,000 "hits" per week, I guess a few folks read it.

Easter Blessings,

Steve

Hey... my comment was not intended as a critique of your talent as a writer.

You asked a question of "us guys" and I gave my two-bit opinion.

After getting a Masters in English and Spanish at UTA, my Son was awarded the Michener Fellowship there. Then, he was the first to be awarded a SECOND year. So... after being paid to write for two years under the tutelage of a well-known author, he finally saw that an inclination to write, and some talent in that area, was NOT all that's required to be a successful author.

So... he went to Law School and is doing pretty good at that.

He kept a blog going for awhile which seemed to slake his creative thirst. But... Lawyers words are worth more than most any other type of writing. grin

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by curdog4570

Easter Blessings,

Steve

Hey... my comment was not intended as a critique of your talent as a writer.

You asked a question of "us guys" and I gave my two-bit opinion.

After getting a Masters in English and Spanish at UTA, my Son was awarded the Michener Fellowship there. Then, he was the first to be awarded a SECOND year. So... after being paid to write for two years under the tutelage of a well-known author, he finally saw that an inclination to write, and some talent in that area, was NOT all that's required to be a successful author.

So... he went to Law School and is doing pretty good at that.

He kept a blog going for awhile which seemed to slake his creative thirst. But... Lawyers words are worth more than most any other type of writing. grin

Gene, Man you got it right about "lawyers words." grin

Hey, no problem, I was just poking a little fun at you.

Actually, I will probably do a book. I've written a few hundred magazine articles, but for some reason the book thing is just something I want to do.

There are two possibilities and they come out of the stuff I write in my blog. The first, of course is just things I've experienced while hunting around the world and relating them to God.

The second would be more of a biblical travelogue. For instance, what it's like to actually walk the streets of Capernaum. The town totally destroyed by an earthquake about AD 1000 and has now been excavated by archaeologists. While on the subject of Capernaum, what it is like to celebrate the Holy Mass in the glass-bottomed Catholic church that sits atop Saint Peter's Home.

I could do the same with the Grotto of the Annunciation ... literally, the exact place where Mary said, "Let it be done to me" to the Archangel Gabriel. And what it is like to celebrate the Holy Mass right in front of the little cave that Mary lived in.

Same with being in Bethlehem and visiting the cave where Jesus was born.

I'll have to wrangle it out. And if it doesn't sell, it won't be the first time I lost money on a project (more like the 500th grin)

Blessings,

Steve

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
VERY good read!

Thank you for sharing sir!

I'd rather have a bad day hunting than a good day working!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

Friends, this photo is one I took through the glass floor of the church that sits atop Saint Peter's Home in Capernaum.

The home became a church in the 1st century. The stone thingie at the top of the photo is the original 1st century altar. In the 4th century, Saint Helena (Constantine's mother) had a Byzantine Catholic church built over Peter's home.

Typical of Byzantine churches, the structure was eight sided, to reflect the eight beatitudes.

Egeria described Peter's home and the then-new church in AD 382. Egeria's Journal is great reading.

Blessings,

Steve

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D

What would the market be for a book of this kind of true story? Stories like this are really difficult to write, because my own standards are that it MUST BE perfect and must give the reader the experience I felt.

Some would be hunting tales, based on truth grin, but the emphasis on truth and God in the wilderness. Basically, worshiping Him and seeing Him as we enjoy the bush country and harvest critters.

Also, I am Christian/Catholic to the very marrow of my bones, so it is understood that ALL comes from God. As Saint Augustine said, "All is Grace," meaning that all we have, literally all we experience, literally all of life itself, is unmerited favor from the Almighty.

Any market for that???

Guaranteed, of course, that any and all profits would go to the education of grade school kids who cannot afford a classical (read that, a Catholic) education. All funds over costs would be added to the Steve & Karen Timm Education Endowment Fund at Christ the King Catholic Grade School. Or we could start a new one; The 24HourCampfire Education Endowment Fund at Christ the King Catholic Grade School.

Guys, you cannot believe these kids. Brings tears to my eyes ... literally.

Prolly throw in a bunch of Grandpa Hank stories; most of them unpublished and (I believe) pretty good stuff.

Is a book a good idea??

Please be honest.

Blessings,

Steve

A book like you propose could be very successful. "Every Day Saints", http://www.amazon.com/Everyday-Saints-Russian-Orthodox-Archimandrite/dp/0984284834, is along the same lines and is a best seller.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Steve, put me down for a book. Good stuff. Thanks for sharing. 163bc

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

The sister (Third Order Dominican) who owns/runs the Apostolate web site that I blog on is now writing her second book. The first was self-published and she orders it in lots of 200 ... it's in the third printing now and the book has only been out for a year.

We're working on her second book now. It's about saints, some of which are known and some are rather obscure. She inquired at one Catholic publishing house and they bought it even though it was about one-quarter finished at the time. And they gave her a great advance, plus lots of time to finish it.

Karen and I proof her work and make writing suggestions. We are working on four chapters right now and it's spectacular, really spectacular.

Below is a photo I took of the ruins of Capernaum. It's right on the Sea of Galilee and is "the town of Jesus."

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (007FJ, 257_X_50, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 257man, 57 invisible), 2,286 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,643
Posts18,455,374
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.