-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Customer service stinks these days. Just this morning I looked at a half dozen websites of companies that sell fireplace doors, and can't make heads or tails of what I'm looking at. I called two of them, and neither can answer my questions.

All I want is a black frame with cabinet-style doors. I have a couple of questions about his they fit and what kind of hinge is used. Seems like a simple thing, but no one can answer my questions.

These websites look like they assembled a bunch of tiny pictures, and link it to some general info, but if you ask a question you get nowhere. Call these people and talk to them for 30 seconds, and you get the impression you know more than they know. The second one implied I'm too stupid to buy from a website. How do companies like this stay in business?

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Option #1, Buy from a web site, you take your chances that its not what you wanted or whether it will even work, out hours on the computer and shipping cost (both ways if you have to return).

Option #2, time, gas and frustration driving all over town looking through all the local store fronts for what you want, only to find nothing.

Option #3, Phone all over the country trying to locate and explain what your looking for only to have the same results as with Option #1....

Solution; "Make it Yourself"!

Phil

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
You may have discovered the difference (many times) between those who sell them and those who install them.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have eliminated Option #1 and Option #3. Regarding Option #2,
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Option #2, time, gas and frustration driving all over town looking through all the local store fronts for what you want, only to find nothing.

The locals who make/sell these do not have regular store hours. "Call and make an appointment to see our showroom." That almost eliminates #2 as well. Unfortunately I do not have the skills to make it.

There's a fireplace store about a mile from me. They were honest enough to tell me I will pay more from them, so they told me "you'll have better luck buying one on the Internet." They apparently don't know how hard it is to buy one from a website.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have 42" and 36" in stock. What's your stove model # and name? I'm half of the web site prices on what I have.

Feel the Bern in your wallet.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wildbill59
I have 42" and 36" in stock. What's your stove model # and name? I'm half of the web site prices on what I have.

It's not a stove. It's a fireplace (brick). It has an opening that's 34" wide and 27" high.

Steve.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Rustic wrought-iron look or some fancy brass & glass type thingy? Thinking maybe your local Chimney Sweep might know of someone (welder, blacksmith) to build exactly what you want.

Phil

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Rustic wrought-iron look or some fancy brass & glass type thingy? Thinking maybe your local Chimney Sweep might know of someone (welder, blacksmith) to build exactly what you want.

Phil

It's not a matter of getting exactly what I want. I guess that's the point of my OP. I've seen a couple dozen simple, black pieces with two simple doors (as opposed to bi-fold doors). Nothing fancy. Almost any picture of a set of glass doors with a simple black frame looks fine to me. That's why I'm so frustrated.

Steve.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Mine is of brass and glass, pretty sturdy design glass doors stay tightly closed and has sliding chain-mesh screen. Don't believe it is really size critical because the most of it is on the outside of fireplace. Mine was in the house when I bought it, so can't tell you the manufacturer or where it was bought. But thought I've seen them at Lowe's, and or Home Depot (Some Assembly Required)!

Phil

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The only critical size issue I see relates to how cabinet doors are hinged. If they rotate on pins, then the short part rotates inside the fireplace and has to clear the masonry, both on the sides and on the top. That's one question no one seems able to answer.

Steve.

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Mine is made out of 1-1/4" x 4" brass channel, glass doors has a 1/4" x 3/4" channel top and bottom of the 2 bi-fold glass doors (4 glass panels) hing pins are attached to these. "Everything" is on the outside of the fireplace except the attachments to hold it in place.

Phil

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
The only critical size issue I see relates to how cabinet doors are hinged. If they rotate on pins, then the short part rotates inside the fireplace and has to clear the masonry, both on the sides and on the top. That's one question no one seems able to answer.

Steve.

They are sold by the size of the opening in which the frame fits, and they realize the doors have to open, so I'm not sure why you think that would be a problem.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Snyper
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter

Steve.

They are sold by the size of the opening in which the frame fits, and they realize the doors have to open, so I'm not sure why you think that would be a problem.

Because a local fire place/stove dealer told me he has experienced that very problem. Yes, the size of the opening (height and width) is fixed, but the dimensions of the door set is intended for a range. They are not customized to the actual real dimensions of your opening. To complicate things further, if you check the websites you will find that size ranges overlap.

Steve.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

343 members (1lesfox, 2500HD, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1eyedmule, 36 invisible), 1,639 guests, and 938 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,062
Posts18,463,354
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.