Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The ax was originally designed as a weapon, also
SO WHAT?

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Yep. I bet the gun death numbers would go down at least 50% if the hood rats factor was removed.
Just take a look at the number of murders per capital in Chitcago & DC.

I'd like to see a chart illustrate crime rates with lawfully owned guns by people who have concealed carry permits. It would go down a lot farther.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Semper_Fi57
There are NO dangerous weapons (guns), only dangerous people!!

There you go. I once met an eye surgeon who was out for a walk in the woods while I was hunting. He told me he doesn't like guns because he has seen what they can do. Under the circumstances I didn't want to get into an argument with him, so I said, "In the hands of dangerous people they can do a lot of damage."

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by Tucker1965
I would say that guns have many purposes, just to name a few:
1. The protection of life, liberty and property (2nd Amendment stuff, protecting ourselves those who would do steal, murder and rape);
2. Provide food;
3. Deterrence (one of the many reasons Japan never tried to invade mainland USA in WWII was that there would be a armed man behind every door); and
4. Recreation and sport.

Fortunately, we typically only use them for #2 and #4 above, but the mere fact we have them serves to prevent having to use them for #1 and #3 above.

Just my thoughts.

I like that. Well said.

Allow me to condense. A gun is nothing but a tool, and like any tool, it's "purpose" is to make a task easier to accomplish. Not every job that a gun enables is noble, but like any other tool, the user is solely responsible for what it does.

Not entirely true. Fortunately tax payers pick up the tab when an officer shoots someone or something.

Having guns does make the job of police easier to get their way though.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
The purpose of guns is to make the maker/shareholder money.

People buy guns to make the shareholders money? That doesn't make much sense.

[Linked Image from ]
IC B2

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

93 members (6mmbrfan, 14idaho, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 12 invisible), 1,543 guests, and 767 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,518
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.