Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
KMCM Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Has anyone heard about a new restriction/paperwork for bringing in a rifle into Canada starting May 1st.

From what I heard it's been around since 2012 but will start being enforced May 1st.

GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Just got a email about that from a booking agent in Cheyenne.. Just another stab at hunters..

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
We have a national, general election coming later this year here in Canada and both the major parties who oppose the current Conservative government are VERY *antigun*.

If, one of them is elected or an coalition is formed as the current PM is NOT popular in many aspects, too close to Israel, too close to the US and sells our country to Saudi Arabia, China and any other group with money....little, neocon, Bible basher POS, then, we shall see another fascist attack on gun ownership and it will be worse than the last one.

Guns, hunting and all aspects of an individualist, free, responsible lifestyle and our founding, Nordic traditions are under constant, ideological attack here....sound familiar and the prognosis is not very encouraging.

So, if I were an American or other foreign hunter who wants to take advantage of our very generous allowances to hunt some of the rarest game left on Earth,i.e. Stones Sheep, I would leave a moderately valuable gun of my own here with people I trust and just not bother with gun hassle at border crossings.

That said, it is MUCH harder for me to take my gun into the USA than for a Yank to bring his into my country......and, skeptical old geezer that I am, I do not see any improvement in the future.......SUCKS, eh!

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Link.
I would like to hear why it's more difficult to bring one into the US than Canada , besides have to mail the form and wait for it instead of doing at the crossing.

Last edited by noodlz; 04/22/15. Reason: I'm stupid
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Having to mail the form months in advance takes away any chance of a last minute free weekend away, have to include all the ammunition you plan to bring, the inability to purchase more in the US if you need to. The list goes on where as a US hunter shows up at the Canadian border, declares his fire arm and can buy more ammo if required while here.
Lots of disparities in the ease of cross border hunts.
Granted not many Canadians do last second hunts but I live close enough to the border to consider it, esp. to freelance a good spring snow goose hunt from south to north would be a blast.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Apr 23 2015

Hoeven: U.S. Hunters No Longer Required to Register With IRS to Take Personal Firearms on International Hunts
Senator Secures CBP's Commitment to Return to Previous Travel Forms

WASHINGTON – U.S. Senator John Hoeven, chairman of the Department of Homeland Security Appropriations Committee, today announced that the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) will no longer require U.S hunters traveling internationally to obtain an IRS identification number in order to bring personal weapons on hunting trips outside the U.S. At a meeting early Wednesday with U.S. CBP Commissioner R. Gil Kerlikowske, Hoeven secured a commitment from the agency to return to the paper process used by international hunters for years, while updates are made to the automated reporting system for exporting weapons. Kurlekowske said the agency’s web site would be updated later today.

“Hunters should not have to register as a business with the IRS in order to bring their weapons and ammunition on international hunting trips,” said Hoeven. “This is an unnecessary and burdensome requirement on law-abiding citizens. We appreciate that CBP has recognized this and will return to their original forms for international hunters, while they update their automated system to recognize the difference between a commercial exporter and a sportsman traveling on a hunting trip to Canada or another country.”

CBP recently began enforcing regulatory changes from 2012 requiring U.S. hunters to comply with commercial export requirements when transporting firearms outside the U.S. for personal use. Under these requirements, in order for a U.S. hunter to take personal weapons to another country temporarily, the individual would have to register the weapon in the Automated Export System (AES) and provide a transaction number to CBP.

The AES is designed for commercial exporters and requires all users to obtain an Employer Identification Number (EIN) from the IRS in order to access the system. CBP has acknowledged that forcing hunters to obtain an EIN is not appropriate. Under the agreement reached this week, the agency will allow international hunters to use the original paper process while CBP works with the Department of State on an appropriate long-term solution.

-###-

Permalink: http://www.hoeven.senate.gov/public...personal-firearms-on-international-hunts

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by troutfly
Having to mail the form months in advance takes away any chance of a last minute free weekend away, have to include all the ammunition you plan to bring, the inability to purchase more in the US if you need to. The list goes on where as a US hunter shows up at the Canadian border, declares his fire arm and can buy more ammo if required while here.
Lots of disparities in the ease of cross border hunts.
Granted not many Canadians do last second hunts but I live close enough to the border to consider it, esp. to freelance a good spring snow goose hunt from south to north would be a blast.

Inability to purchase ammo? Where are you hunting at? AFAIK there is no residency requirement to buy ammo. I haven't been carded to buy ammo since I lost my youthful good looks sometime ago. How would they even know you were Canadian?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The way I read it on the BATFE site nonresident aliens cannot purchase ammo in the USA. All ammo to be used has to be listed on the form, cannot leave any behind etc.

A friend who travels to the US extensively for Three Gun and Cowboy Action shoots has also told me he has to bring all his ammo with him.

Hey, I would love to be proven wrong as I think it is BS.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
The way I read it on the BATFE site nonresident aliens cannot purchase ammo in the USA. All ammo to be used has to be listed on the form, cannot leave any behind etc.

A friend who travels to the US extensively for Three Gun and Cowboy Action shoots has also told me he has to bring all his ammo with him.

No ID is required and if you pay cash no one will know you are Canadian.

IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I recall having to have my PAL to buy ammo when I lived in Canada. Are non-residents exempt from this?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by postoak

No ID is required and if you pay cash no one will know you are Canadian.

Cash would be king for sure.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The point is, your LAW says otherwise!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by castnblast
The point is, your LAW says otherwise!

And that is what makes it not worth getting caught.
One just has to ensure they take enough ammo if they travel to the US to hunt. Easier said than done if on a Snow goose hunt!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by EdM
I recall having to have my PAL to buy ammo when I lived in Canada. Are non-residents exempt from this?

Non residents need to show the form that is filled out at Customs. It acts as a "PAL" while in Canada. Can't purchase firearms but can buy ammo.
The only similarity that a US hunter has to a Canadian hunter is they can't return to the US with left over ammo without the appropriate import documents.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

345 members (1lesfox, 22250rem, 240NMC, 160user, 163bc, 12344mag, 36 invisible), 1,992 guests, and 1,056 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,493
Posts18,452,327
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.