Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
You guys with pensions do realize that the only reason you have one is because the government bailed out wall street and the banking system. Otherwise you would have squat. Same for anyone who had money in the bank or has made money investing in this "recovery". In other words, pretty much everyone.

Point being, most people who think they love the "free market" are actually beholding to the govt in some form or fashion. If there would have been a free market in 2008-2009, 90% of us would have been broke and the 10% smart enough to bet against the system would have made a fortune....that the 90% of the other "free marketers" would likely have demanded be taxed away as ill gotten gains.

I am far from a liberal but as a financial type, I can tell you that pension holders, 401 K holders, mutual fund holders, stock investors, home owners, bank account holders....pretty much everyone with any form of savings, me included, has gotten their fair share of welfare in the last decade. The illusion of the "market" only allows us to look down our noses at the "hood rats".

I think you guys who are calling for a return to free markets best be careful what you wish for.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RJY66
You guys with pensions do realize that the only reason you have one is because the government bailed out wall street and the banking system. Otherwise you would have squat. Same for anyone who had money in the bank or has made money investing in this "recovery". In other words, pretty much everyone.

Point being, most people who think they love the "free market" are actually beholding to the govt in some form or fashion. If there would have been a free market in 2008-2009, 90% of us would have been broke and the 10% smart enough to bet against the system would have made a fortune....that the 90% of the other "free marketers" would likely have demanded be taxed away as ill gotten gains.

I am far from a liberal but as a financial type, I can tell you that pension holders, 401 K holders, mutual fund holders, stock investors, home owners, bank account holders....pretty much everyone with any form of savings, me included, has gotten their fair share of welfare in the last decade. The illusion of the "market" only allows us to look down our noses at the "hood rats".

I think you guys who are calling for a return to free markets best be careful what you wish for.

Good post!

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anytime you give something to somebody who didn't work for it (welfare), that means you've taken it away from someone who did work for it.

Giving welfare to able bodied people in this country is one of the most egregious 'wrongs' that exist in our country today.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You have to realize that "bail outs" are not free. There is a cost involved that the market must price into their product. The long QE process infused about $3 trillion into the market which began as electronic "monopoly money". This is what the market now enjoys on either side to 18,000. There will never be a true "free market" - only some with lesser government involvement and control.
The incestuous relationship between bankers, Wall Street and politicians will never end. Its the lesser of two evils because what do you want to do, join "occupy wall street" and collapse the entire world economy?

Standby and watch the fallout over the Greek economy this week. Could be a bumpy ride. No, it won't be limited to just the EU either.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 04/20/15.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Originally Posted by GuyM
Why are we giving money from earners, to sitters?

Is it even constitutional?

This came up during a conversation about minimum wage. I'm all for letting the market set the "minimum wage" rather than having the gov't impose it. An argument was made that we had to make sure that minimum wage was above what someone on welfare would receive...

Why do they receive taxpayer funds at all? Let the local churches and charities handle it.

Dunno. I'm not a constitutional scholar like our President. Is welfare even legit?

Thanks, Guy

I mostly agree. I'm OK with government food banks, as long as they carry the basics needed to sustain life. say, rice and beans and powdered milk. everything else SHOULD come from charity.

IC B2

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
Why is the govt responsible when a natural disaster occurs? You either have insurance and provide for yourself or you dont.

I agree with this as well. I would CERTAINLY like to see it at the very least changed to a "once per lifelime / location" deal.

if your house in Kansas was torn up by a tornado and the govt paid you to rebuild, you should be smart enough not to rebuild in Kansas.
if your second house gets ripped apart by a tornado, tough.

in general, we need to stop rewarding poor decisions in this country.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Originally Posted by Whiptail
Originally Posted by GuyM

Why do they receive taxpayer funds at all? Let the local churches and charities handle it.

Churches and charities are "welfare" due to tax subsidies/deductions.

what took you so long to get here ? :-/

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

600 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 160user, 22250rem, 1_deuce, 60 invisible), 2,162 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,279
Posts18,448,505
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.