-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A dumb bastid crashed one of my ag planes because he had his head up his arse about 8 foot!!

I saw a Steerman crash after only one pass through a rice field, applying fertilizer, back in the mid 1970's. Seems like they forgot fuel that morning. He dumped his load, and tried to land but a rice field with levees, is not a good place to land. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by m_s_s
I was tagging calves for an outfit, brush and scrub oak country. Usually I was by myself but I had a guy along that day, he is a arrowhead hunter for Caltrans, a wanabe cowboy. My dogs held up a bunch of cows in some trees and rocks. I roped a calf and started to tie-off, he said he would get down and tag the calf, so I pulled the little guy up close to a small oak, figured he could just reach around and tag him. Momma was a little pissed at what we were doing to junior lol. Ole Daryl reached around and tagged junior, momma blew snot, Daryl ran, momma ran and knocked Daryl down. Most cows will run over you and keep going, not this ole girl lol, she stopped on Daryl and commensed to beat him about the head and shoulders and I am laughing so hard it took me a second or two to push my horse into her to get her off of him. He was pretty beat up but nothing broke. I asked him if he learned anything. Told him he shouldn't have run and if he had kept the tree between her and him the oak would have taken the punishment lol. Good part is Daryl made a pretty fair cowboy.

my dad told me a story one time when i asked him why he quite cowboying. Him and an uncle owned a ranch in the bloody basin area of arizona in the 20's, ranch still there. He said he roped an ol range cow one day that went around one side of a tree where him and the horse went around the other, got pretty tangled up. He said he didn't know if he should shoot the cow or the horse first. Determined he had to have a better way of making a living so went back to the railroad.
I could mention the first time i tried branding and castrating calves. And the guy on the horse holding the calf let the slack out just as i was attempting to toss him. And be being stupid enough to hold on as he sling shotted me into the railroad tie corral. I was seeing birdies for quite a while.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I wouldn't know where to start.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's a non injury massive facepalm.

an 8'diameter, 84 foot deep caisson with a 6' rebar cage, poured in place concrete.

With the wrong PSI mix.

good times...

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Maint. supervisor at a feed mill I drove for decided to use a cutting torch to remove a motor from the grain leg;blew up the leg,a big part of the mill.He had 2nd and3rd degree burns on about one fourth of his body, injured 3 other workers and the feed mill was down for 6 mo. Damned if the didn't make him feedmill manager a year later!

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Screw up and move up!

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
PHD"s miscalculated the yield of a nuclear device or containment requirements at the Nevada Test Site.Besides vaporizing two full up birds ( nuke warheads) The fire ball burned thru two fast closure debris doors, turned cured cement into a plastic state and filling everything,took out about a mile of two tunnels,all equipment and 1500 feet of 15 foot diameter steel piple. Only one steel door at the very end kept it from venting into the atmosphere.

About $20 million dollars worth of "Oh $hits". It was about twenty years before DOE announced that test even went off as it was classified before that.

I spent about two months in radiation protection gear sifting thru rubble trying to find experiments.

Last edited by saddlesore; 04/27/15.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ringworm
Oh, about 15-20 Lt.s shoot clearing barrels.
Guess that's how they trained to unload and show clear.
Drop mag, pull trigger.
Saw a new officer shoot the heel of the RO's boot with a 9mm once. He was directly in from of her walking towards the target rack when she pulled the trigger.
Saw something like this too at Camp Lejuene...The Duty Officer, a 2Lt, was being relieved in the S3 office in the morning. Half asleep on his feet, he racked the slide, then dropped the mag, squeezed the trigger and BOOM! Shot a SSgt right through the knee.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
When I was in Basic Training a kid who had been in military school was showing off twirling his M16
and doing manual of arms type stuff.
When he banged the buttstock on the sidewalk the rifle fired and blew a hole in his tshirt. He fainted and hit the ground. The drill sgt. came over and started feeling for an exit wound and then started yelling at him to get up
etc.
Turns out the rifle had been used at a military funeral and still had a blank in the chamber.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by saddlesore
PHD"s miscalculated the yield of a nuclear device or containment requirements at the Nevada Test Site.Besides vaporizing two full up birds ( nuke warheads) The fire ball burned thru two fast closure debris doors, turned cured cement into a plastic state and filling everything,took out about a mile of two tunnels,all equipment and 1500 feet of 15 foot diameter steel pipe. Only one steel door at the very end kept it from venting into the atmosphere.

About $20 million dollars worth of "Oh $hits". It was about twenty years before DOE announced that test even went off as it was classified before that.

I spent about two months in radiation protection gear sifting thru rubble trying to find experiments.

F--k...

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Heard about a guy my Dad knew, who was a cement truck driver. He rolled one truck and was warned to be more careful. He rolled another one, that was full of cement. By the time the truck was recovered, the cement was all set up inside the drum. He was told he could do one of two things - resign, or get a jackhammer and get busy. He quit. smirk

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
13 dead over 40 yrs period in the oilfield, 12 offshore, 1 onshore. Personally knew 8 of them. Equipment failures, cranes, popped ropes, falls, burns, crushed and personal/personnel fk'ups via shortcuts. Life can be so fragile. Pays to handle with care and pays to pay attention. Doing multiple RCAs (root cause analysis)on these things is no fun especially when you know them.

But things have much improved by lessons learned the hard way.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ltppowell
I wouldn't know where to start.

That's what I'm thinking too.

So many of them involving multiple lives and millions of dollars lost.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Guy backed a 980 Cat grapple loader up on top of a Toyota Camry a couple years ago. It was friggin' awesome. He doesn't work in the wood yard anymore.

Last edited by Kota; 04/27/15.

Do not pray for an easier life, Pray to be stronger men
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Many years ago I worked one summer in a cemetery. One morning a pallet of headstones arrived on a flat bed truck and one of the full time employees picked out five of us to help unload them.
He got a call on his radio to report to the office and he told us to wait until he got back and he would unload the stones and none of us were to touch the fork lift. No sooner had he left when one employee jumped on the fork lift and attempted to move the pallet. Within seconds the pallet crashed to the ground and broke almost every headstone. All three supervisors showed up within minutes and instead of doing anything to the guilty employee, they took the full timer who was in charge into the office and chewed him out good for almost an hour. Later that day the employee who dropped the pallet attempted to apologize to him but all he got from him was a cold stare and "Get away from me and dont speak to me"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I was a splicer for a three letter telecommunications giant,I was on a job to put new cable/drops/network interfaces in an old trailer park in southwest Dallas.
We were just starting the job and were out surveying just how to start when I saw some guys from an irrigation company digging with some guys with shovels.
I found their boss and told him to stop because they haven't called for utility locates and nothing was marked. The guy told me that he didn't have time for that $hit and wasn't going to stop his guys from digging.
It pissed me off and I reiterated to him that they had to stop because this was an old park and the power was direct buried... NO CONDUITS... AT ALL...
This time he just turned his back and walked away.
It wasn't 5 minutes later when one of his guys stuck a sharpshooter shovel right into one of those buried power lines.
The kid was in his late teens or early twenties and when I got to him he wasn't breathing and the heal of his left boot was blown out and smoking.
I started CPR and got him breathing again,but not before he puked into my mouth... He didn't regain consciousnesses by the time the ambulance arrived.
He died of septic shock a couple of weeks later.
I was deposed by a couple of lawyers and never saw his boss again because if I had,he would have remembered me for the rest of his life.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Someone on the 7th floor of a building in mlps being constructed moved a 4x8' sheet of plywood marked "hole" so they could slid a bin full of nuts, bolts, screws, washers, and such. The bin fell two floors and killed the guy it landed on.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
guy banging a valve on a wellhead with a sledge, valve let go, guy looked like someone had taken a giant cookie cutter to half his chest, instant death.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

686 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 71 invisible), 3,000 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,481
Posts18,451,879
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.