Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I happily stand corrected, kg. I was going by what I'd seen on travel shows.

Funny thing, I saw Spam Musubi for sale exactly once, while at the USS Missouri. And I wanted to try it, but had to hurry for the bus.

In fact, the lack of the promised "local foods" promised by the ship was my major disappointment. With the exception of fresh pineapple, there was nothing but standard US foods. They were good, but when I travel to Hawaii I don't want to eat the same things I could find in Iowa. Such fare shouldn't be the only thing offered (I realize there are folks who are timid eaters) but they could at least have offered more adventurous choices to those who want it.

Photos coming today. Still adjusting to the time shift...
There's lots of "local grinds" to be found around Hawaii if you have the time to find it. Unfortunately being part of a large tour doesn't afford you the opportunity to go off on your own that much. I've spent a bunch of time in Hilo lately and eating "local" there is pretty easy if one is so inclined.....in Kona, not so much. My son, who attends UH Manoa, says some of the best local food comes from the food trucks set up on campus. On his college student budget I thinks he's becoming quite the connoisseur of saimin. grin Looking forward to those pics!

GB1

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Looking forward to the photos.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
good of you to make the pilgrimage to the birth place of Obama to pay homage Rocky (grin)

what's that? you didn't go all the way to Kenya? lol

I really love Hawaii, we've been there a fair amount since it's only a 5 hour plane ride away.

but it's a Dem controlled environment and anyone prepared to exercise their 2nd amendment rights will be prosecuted under the full extent of the law.

I truly don't know how states get away with that BS, what state is going to pass legislation that you can't exercise your 1st amendment rights?

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I have lived in Hawaii all of my 62 years, mostly in the town of
Kailua, Oahu. I am a retired Honolulu Police Lieutenant. I can give you recommendations of where to get good eats. While working
around the island in police patrol duties, I ate out of many places for 25 years, so many choices.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Pictures posted. For some reason - probably a limit on how many gazillion bytes can be in a thread - not all the photos appeared directly. But just click on the links to see them all.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

W
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
W
Which cruise line were you on? Have heard that the service on Hawaiian cruises is not very good because of all the American kids working on the ships.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Pictures posted. For some reason - probably a limit on how many gazillion bytes can be in a thread - not all the photos appeared directly. But just click on the links to see them all.

We're limited to 9 image links per post. A bloody PITA it is, but I'm guessing it's design is to make it more difficult for 'bots or malicious postings to eat tons of bandwidth.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

645 members (1badf350, 1936M71, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 74 invisible), 2,556 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,687
Posts18,456,452
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.