Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Hello People:
I have a problem I hope you can help me with. I need to trap a skunk that started living under my shed. I don't want rabies, or to be sprayed. If I catch him I don't want to shoot him and ruin my trap. I don't have a pond, or 55 gallon drum to drown him. I thought I might cut an old extension cord end off wire the positive and negative to the cage, and wire the ground to a piece of rebar driven into the ground, this should complete the circuit. After I catch him merely plug the cord into my outside outlet. Will this work?
Thanks,

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Where is that antelope chewing the popcorn thingy when I need it? Haha....

Seriously though, if you know a trapper, ask him about acetone injections. I think that is pretty common for non target catches of skunks. Syringe on a stick kind of thing...Never done it myself, but I hear it works well..

http://www.fntpost.com/Categories/Trapping/Odds+Ends/Syringes/

do a google search for trapperman and skunk dispatch...

Last edited by Pittu; 05/21/15.

Eat moose, burn spruce
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Place trap and skunk in a Plastic trash bag, throw in a gasoline soaked rag, close the bag, wait 10 minutes.

Easy as it gets!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When you got him trapped, throw an old tarp over the trap and run a hose from your exhaust under the tarp and give him 10 minutes of that.

But than again, we always just shot them with .22 birdshot in the trap, and yeah, it stunk some. smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Be Carefull! Some damn Tree Hugger will turn you in for Animal Cruelty!

By the way, Aquilla ammo makes a .22 round with a bullet and no powder. It's almost as quite as a suppressed .22 LR round. It's called Colibri .

Last edited by chlinstructor; 05/21/15.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I use the tarp and hose in the tail pipe trick. Just make sure your tarp doesn't have any holes. I have a piece of pond liner over my trap, after a catch I pull the entrance flap over and put a tarp over it. Garden hose taped to a piece of pipe inserted into tail pipe = sleepy time for skunk!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Seems to me you have been offered some fine solutions, all involving no electricity. Would not want you or anyone else to have a electrical accident.

Something tells me it would work just fine to set the trap in a cardboard box with a end cut out for a entrance and have the box in a trash bag with a little bait at the back of the trap. A little gas on the rag or the exhaust trick and you should have your solution.
If you do end up with a stink keep the location to a minimum. In the event you do end up with a stink baking soda and peroxide are your friend. Had a German shorthair that would tangle with skunks a couple times a year. Truly amazing how quickly and fully effective a bath with a little palmolive dish detergent and most important baking soda and peroxide to completely neutralize the oder.
Good luck with the striped puddy cat issue smile

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I'm no expert but I really want to know how your first idea pans out sounds like it would work and if not you will have lots of other options

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Skunks don't like light. They are pretty nocturnal. Run a flood lamp under there and he will most likely vacate the premises.

If that doesn't work, move......lol

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
The electrifying thing is the way great stories start out. do it that way first it could turn out epic and please share your findings.

Last edited by fredIII; 05/22/15.
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by nealglen37
Hello People:
I have a problem I hope you can help me with. I need to trap a skunk that started living under my shed. I don't want rabies, or to be sprayed. If I catch him I don't want to shoot him and ruin my trap. I don't have a pond, or 55 gallon drum to drown him. I thought I might cut an old extension cord end off wire the positive and negative to the cage, and wire the ground to a piece of rebar driven into the ground, this should complete the circuit. After I catch him merely plug the cord into my outside outlet. Will this work?
Thanks,

If you forget about him long enough, he'll die.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Hello People:
Thanks,

Why not try driving him off with mothballs? Try spreading a box of them under your shed and if you can see a burrow use a piece of plastic hose to put some down the hole. If it's a female with little ones and you kill her you'll have to deal with the young ones if they're old enough to make it without her. Drive her off and they'll follow.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Hello People:
Thanks,

Please video it and post the results.

MAGA
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
How expensive is your trap?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pittu
Where is that antelope chewing the popcorn thingy when I need it? Haha....

Seriously though, if you know a trapper, ask him about acetone injections. I think that is pretty common for non target catches of skunks. Syringe on a stick kind of thing...Never done it myself, but I hear it works well..

http://www.fntpost.com/Categories/Trapping/Odds+Ends/Syringes/

do a google search for trapperman and skunk dispatch...

I know a guy that eliminated hundreds of skunks in a town nearby using the acetone/syringe/stick method and a live trap!
He became the most popular man in the small town of Absarokee MT. The Animal Control Officer in my town started doing the same thing and it worked perfectly for him also.

Ken

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
240 members (300_savage, 1minute, 204guy, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 39 invisible), 2,179 guests, and 952 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,639
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.