Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Spanokopitas

I need one to keep the deer out of my vineyard. He must be ready, willing and able to run deer to death.

He will live outdoors May to October in a comfortable doghouse. In the other months he will live indoors. He will be well paid in kibbles and have the best of vet and other human care.

No Pit Bulls need apply.

Suggestions?

Be aware that some dogs learn to love grapes. However, grapes are toxic to dogs and can cause kidney failure.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Partsman
up here it is illegal to run deer down with a dog.

I have a "Harassment" permit which allows me to do just about everything except kill them to protect my crops. I can also apply for a kill permit but it's more trouble than its worth.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S

We do have deer fencing, about $35,000.00 worth. Problem is our two neighbors have a right-of-way through our vineyard. We leave the gates open from 0900 to 1630 to accommodate them.

The deer come in during the day, hunker down and do their damage at night. We also have to leave the main gate open for tasting room customers.

I go out every night on the quad to "patrol". If I see deer I open a gate and try to chase them out. This can take an hour or so of chase and burns a lot of gas.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can't wait for the oregon idiots to get on here and tell us what a great guy he is.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cattle guards or grates at the gates.

Any dog will run deer. You may not get your dog back though, if he leaves your property. At least not without holes in it.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Seriously, I have heard of Border Collies being trained for similar duty. These duties being flocks of birds on airports and geese on golf courses.

What happens here when the deer gets used to the dog I dunno.

This little gal is becoming invaluable, in terms of keeping birds out of my small you pick orchard / berry operation. I can tell you that the "Training" is going to be WAY easier with one of the herding breeds ( I WOULD avoid heelers, though). The trainer / handler had better be a dog man, too. Frankly I'm not reading that here, in this particular situation.

[Linked Image]

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Suggestions?

Yeah....

GFY

Dogs are too good for you.

All of them.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O

We do have deer fencing, about $35,000.00 worth. Problem is our two neighbors have a right-of-way through our vineyard. We leave the gates open from 0900 to 1630 to accommodate them.

The deer come in during the day, hunker down and do their damage at night. We also have to leave the main gate open for tasting room customers.

I go out every night on the quad to "patrol". If I see deer I open a gate and try to chase them out. This can take an hour or so of chase and burns a lot of gas.

Like Cross mentioned you will have to be a dog man to make this work and almost any dog breed will work for this (even a bulldog) but you will have to leave "the quad" parked and work the dogs on foot. No pushing a button. waving a wand or throwing money at the problem will work. Bottom line is your farming and it requires hard work so put your big boy panties on ...

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thanks for all the junkyard dog advice.

Free wine tasting today and tomorrow for all Campfire members. Tell the lovely and gracious Martina that Spano sent you.

www.paracay.com

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

632 members (1936M71, 12344mag, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 75 invisible), 2,569 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,687
Posts18,456,452
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.