Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Smokey Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Long flight to Johannesburg as expected. 10 hours to Frankfurt 10 more to Joburg, arrived at 7 am and had Air 2000 to assist us thru customs with a breeze. PH from Authentic African Adventures met us and on the road to camp. 4 hours to camp arrived just in time for lunch. Unpacked and out in the truck for an evening hunt. There were 6 other hunters in camp that we joined for this evening hunt. I did not take my rifle.

1st morning, early to rise and off hunting by 6:30. Drive thru the fence to the hunting area (camp is in the breeding grounds) and 30 seconds later as the PH is explaining how we will set up with the sticks when we see an animal. I stop him in mid sentence and I point out a Gemsbok. It is a shooter but by the time we get ready it has winded us and is gone. Wow 30 seconds in and I have my first chance.
We continue on and spot another Gemsbok and make a stalk, after chasing and trying to get a shot he finally has had enuf of us and disappears. We no more than turn around to head back to the truck (500 yards away) we spot a Kudu standing beside a bush facing away from us (200 yards) we stalk closer to about 110 yards and set up the sticks and wait for him to turn sideways. He finally turns and I squeeze off a 300 gr nosler partition in 375 H&H. spined him and he drops. KUDU DOWN. Wow 2 hours in and my kudu is on the ground. This is the only bullet we recovered, everything else was a complete pass thru.

[Linked Image]

or this one that makes it look like a record book kudu
[Linked Image]

Out after lunch looking hard, but nothing quite right. Near dusk we set up on a large oat field and wait for the hogs to come out. Wind is all wrong so circle the field right at dusk and there is one lone one out in the middle. Can not tell if it is a shooter or not. PH says take it, if you don’t like it he will give it to staff for food. 269 yards off of rest on top of truck and he drops in his tracks.

[Linked Image]

Day 2 We went to a wildlife park for viewing.

[Linked Image]

Day 3. up and on the trail by 6:15. The 6 other hunters in camp leave this morning. Have the camp for myself and a good buddy of mine for the duration of the hunt, Paul is not hunting but agreed to take lots of pictures. Get to hunting concession and start walking. We walk for 3 hours and see lots and lots of game and numerous species. Some shooters some not on my list and some not mature enuf. Real exciting making lots of stalks and getting busted due wind or TO MANY EYES. Never thought I would complain (not really) about seeing so much wildlife. Finally get another chance at a Gemsbok (4th try this morning) on the 3rd different group. Crawling on hands and knees--- did I mention the thorns and stickers--- bush is thick and we get within 75 yards, he is 1/4ing facing me, I sight on point of front shoulder and squeeze off another Nosler, everything scatters. Gemsbok, wildebeest, and impala. Animals running everywhere. PH says good shot. We follow tracks and loose it, so go back to beginning and follow the correct tracks and he is piled up 75 yards away. Shot is thru and thru. GEMSBOK DOWN.

With PH Joco

[Linked Image]

Went out after lunch to new property, lots of game here also. Herd of buffalo, I don’t know much about buffalo but there was one there that look better than most that I see on TV. If only that lottery ticket had come thru before I left home. We spot a jackal on an open field and PH says “take it” I stand up in truck and try at 200 yards off hand, and rolled him over. (even I was impressed) All that winter practise paid off. It is amazing how similar the Jackal looks like a coyote at home.
Blesbok tenderloin BBQ over an open hardwood fire…….mmmm mmmm good

[Linked Image]

Day 4
Good thing we aren't staying up late, usually in bed by 9:00. These early mornings are great. Off for another 2 hour hike trying to get close to game. Lots of game and fun trying to get close. No shooters that I was happy with. Finally spot a couple of Zebra, one is a shooter. Get to within 135 yards, set up on the sticks, I site on the triangle on the shoulder ……….. And miss……… awww crap…. And I thought this was easy, hog at 269, jackal off hand at 200, nothing to it. Yeah right…… long story short, it was a clean miss. I slapped the trigger instead of squeeze and in doing so was anticipating recoil and pushed forward and shot right under it. Felt like hell for quite awhile. Back out after lunch and had another chance at a Zebra but passed on the full frontal shot. Said I wasn’t comfortable with that shot angle, but I was really just spooked on Zebra. Came across a herd of Blesbok and there is one real good looking male off by himself. We stalk up to a brush pile (more thorns) and use a log as a rest at 138 yards. I squeeze off another Nosler and he drops in his tracks. BLESBOK DOWN. I am redeemed. Feel much better now. Ready to take a Zebra any time.

[img]http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/gordonschmok/Africa/IMG_9632_zpsvxjayvd2.jpg[/img]

more to come, hopefully tomorrow

Smokey

Last edited by Smokey; 05/28/15.
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Smoke,,,,sounds and looks like you had a great trip.
Very nice reporting...By the way, was everything taken with the 375? What grain bullet? Keep the photos coming, very nice.

Have Gun Will Travel,, The more dust on the trail- the thicker the soup.
Life Member: NRA, VFW, Six Napoleons
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Cool beans! I'll tune in for the rest tomorrow!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank you for sharing. Superb!

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the great report! I like it when my hunters come back with such great detail. It really helps future hunters of mine get a picture I their mind if what to expect!

Also glad you got to meet Hanno. My little partner.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Really like the gemsbok and kudu. That kudu has really thick horns and the gemsbok is long!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Smokey Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Everything was taken with a 300 gr Nosler partition from the 375 H&H. Only took one rifle and bullet combo, a little excessive for some, but they all fell over. Took my shotgun for day of dove shooting, now that is a blast.....

JJ and "little" is the key word

JJ's partner on the left

Smokey
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Smokey; 05/29/15.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks like a great time, Smokey!

Love the kudu, congrats and some good shooting done by you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Smokey
Everything was taken with a 300 gr Nosler partition from the 375 H&H. Only took one rifle and bullet combo, a little excessive for some, but they all fell over. Took my shotgun for day of dove shooting, now that is a blast.....

JJ and "little" is the key word

JJ's partner on the left

Smokey
[Linked Image]

A Huntin with Sasquatch picture. grin

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Way cool pics. cool

maddog

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Beautiful animals and great pics. Great stuff!

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the report. I love reading day by day travel reports. Somehow it makes me think of each day that I was there. Zebra is the only animal I have wounded and lost.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great report. Congrats on your trophies!

Eric

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks for posting your fine trip. Can't make out the rifle brand......

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Smokey Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Rifle is a Remington 700 in 375 H&H, with Kevlar stock, heavy barrel, from Remington custom shop about 20 years ago. Shooting 300 gr Nosler Partitions.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks, great trip.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
great hunt

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Can't wait to see the rest!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Looks like you had a blast and really nice animals . Handloads or Factory Ammo?

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Great report Smokey. I hunted with AAA 2 years ago thru JJ as well. We had a blast too. Was your wildlife tour on Shelanti? I'm guessing it was, that place is amazing.

Was Liza and Kyne in camp? Liza made great food 2 years ago and we hit it off great with Kyne, even though he was my PH for only a couple of days.

Not sure if you are having taxidermy done or not but I can tell you more if you are using Safari Taxidermy in Polokowany. I would encourage you to find someone else. That's who Hanno recommend at the time and half of my animals turned out very poorly and the taxidermy shop said it wasn't their fault. Which I don't believe.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 12344mag, 16penny, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,615 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,306
Posts18,468,155
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.