Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by pointer
4ager- Shoot extra whitetail does for the table. Hunt an auodad for the experience and wall decoration. At least that's my rationale.

Yep, every "goat like" varmint I've tasted sucks pretty much. That is indeed my rationale and approach to hunting. Table fare is completely secondary although most enjoyable!

I agree, I don't hunt for the meat although I eat what I hunt... if that makes sense?

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
GB1

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Elkhunter49
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by pointer
4ager- Shoot extra whitetail does for the table. Hunt an auodad for the experience and wall decoration. At least that's my rationale.

Yep, every "goat like" varmint I've tasted sucks pretty much. That is indeed my rationale and approach to hunting. Table fare is completely secondary although most enjoyable!

I agree, I don't hunt for the meat although I eat what I hunt... if that makes sense?

Makes perfect sense; as do I.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I agree, auodad ranks pretty close to javelina.

I'm not going to say I won't shoot another one. But, it won't be the main quarry in any planned hunt.

Either animal would have to be an extra.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shot one back in the late 80's in the Davis Mountains. Despite being told they weren't fit to eat by the guide we decided to fry up some of the backstrap. I still have no idea what it tastes like because I couldn't get the fork past my nose to my mouth.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I've eaten plenty of aoudad. Can't agree with the javalina comparisons. The ewes are excellent. The rams taste the same but are tougher. Reminds me a lot of domestic goat.

Now, an ibex-javalina comparison, I can get behind that. I wouldn't eat either one.

IC B2

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
That's the first time I've ever heard aoudad and excellent in the same sentence.

You've got some tough taste buds.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
GeeDubya, do you mind sharing the name of your guy who makes the summer sausage? I'll be out that way this fall and could see getting some made! Looks great!

Eric

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have killed every size helping a rancher eradicate them free roaming in the early 90's and gave the meat away to this day, everybody that cooked them said they could only make them edible with spices and other meats in it. I still can remember the smell of the first one I skinned.

Callin Varmints
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Don't do It, Smells like ass! If you have to try it COOK IT OUTSIDE

Keep your head on the stock,wood on wood
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had planned to take a backstrap off mine before I shot it. When I walked up on it and smelled it with the cape on, I knew there was no way I was skinning it to see what it smelled like underneath. Buzzards gotta eat too.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by rattler
nilgai if your worried bout eats followed by axis.....

^^^^^^ This

hint:

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have always wondered about the eating of Aoudad. Most opinions are pretty harsh so it may well be that it isn't fit for the table. However, everything is relative.

Most I know also don't like domestic goat either. They often describe it as tough, fatty, "gamey" tasting and smells bad alive as well as while cooking. Sounds a lot like Aoudad descriptions.

I, however, do like domestic goat. It is smelly, can be tough (if not properly cooked) and has a unique taste that some don't care for.....but is hardly inedible. Slow cooked and properly spiced it is very good....in my opinion.

This question is for those who eat (and like) domestic goat and have eaten Aoudad.....compare the two. Is it similar??

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TexasRick

This question is for those who eat (and like) domestic goat and have eaten Aoudad.....compare the two. Is it similar??

Actually, I like cabrito, the only way that I have eaten domestic goat, and I have tried aoudad a few times. However, the cabrito that I have cooked was from young Nubian goats about 30-50 lbs live weight, while the aoudad that I have tried was meat from older mature rams. I have never found a way to cook meat from a mature aoudad ram that was worth the effort. If you're after meat, I would suggest trying to shoot a young animal.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
listen to Mudhen. Rio7

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
cabrito is available from many Mexican resturants & is delicious. we have cooked small goats in pit of coals in deer camp & it was as good as just about any meat cranky72

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Concerning domestic goats, there is a big difference between a 40-50 lbs young meat goat and a 6 year old 260 lbs breeding buck. Our buck is rutting right now and you can smell him from 100 yards away. I'd guess there is a huge difference in Auodad as well....but who wants to shoot a 5 month old/50 lbs Auodad?

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Auuk... sick been about 15 years since I shot one and I can still taste it. old ram ,kinda mousy flavor/smell. Tough as a truck tire.
Even my dog wouldn't eat it.

Lefty C

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
Auuk... sick been about 15 years since I shot one and I can still taste it. old ram ,kinda mousy flavor/smell. Tough as a truck tire.
Even my dog wouldn't eat it.

Lefty C

What does mouse taste like? grin

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've heard the expression "The more you chew, the bigger it gets" and that describes my one experience with auodad meat perfectly. Shoe leather would probably be easier to stomach.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
An old hunting and fishing buddy of mine who grew up in Orlando when it only had 25,000 people used to say, "Some people say armadilla tastes like chicken, but the more you chew it, the more it tastes like armadilla."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

238 members (12344mag, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 338reddog, 300jimmy, 2UP, 24 invisible), 1,702 guests, and 896 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,598
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.