-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 35 of 35 1 2 33 34 35
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hate to interrupt your "intellectual banter" , but it has struck me that Christmas is now brought to us by slave labor, as well as the clothes on your back, your underwear and the shoes on your feet. But ... nobody is bitchin' about these slaves are they--- not even the descendants of slaves are. Why don't these folks and BW go over to China and start tearing down some statues and some flags while they are at it??

I am in agreement with BW on one point now. He would have fought for the North, because he could have bought another Irishman to do his fighting for him ....

If you don't like Robert E. Lee, you won't like it on this ranch. JGM
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hate to interrupt your "intellectual banter" , but it has struck me that Christmas is now brought to us by slave labor, as well as the clothes on your back, your underwear and the shoes on your feet. But ... nobody is bitchin' about these slaves are they---

Yes, people are, though most Americans never think about it.

A basic exercise I have my students do is locate 25 items each made in a different country in their own house. This to their general surprise they can do easily, tho finding American can be hard to do.

Actually, they are not even the descendants of slaves are.

Most likely ALL of us are the descendents of slaves.

Why don't these folks and BW go over to China and start tearing down some statues and some flags while they are at it??

Because China is not my country, the United States of America is. Neither would I vote to remove the Stars and Bars.

I am in agreement with BW on one point now. He would have fought for the North, because he could have bought another Irishman to do his fighting for him ....

Me, run from danger? grin

You silly twerp.

My own record over the last four decades suggests exactly the opposite cool

YMMV,

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
But I'd still fight on the Union side.

It seems to me that most fought on the side where they lived. Seemed more that way than about slavery or even morals.

And I value your friendship highly.

As I do yours. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager
So, let's sum this up...

Birdwatcher has stated and agreed with the premise that a free people have the right to break away from a gov't that no longer represents them. That is a fundamental human right.

It has been established that the Southern states did exactly that, and for exactly that reason.

It has further been established that slavery - while undeniably odious - was both Constitutional under the U.S. Constitution and therefore legal as well.

It has even further been established that Lincoln had no authority whatsoever under the law or the Constitution to take any actions that he did; including arresting and detaining US citizens in MD and elsewhere, detaining and replacing the MD legislature and governor, turning cannons on the city of Baltimore, and/or invading the now free and independent Southern states or any states at all.

Birdwatcher has at least implicitly agreed with all of these established facts.

Yet, he continues to support the illegal, unconstitutional actions of Lincoln against the very premise of self-determination he says he supports. He even acknowledges that such support is illogical, yet remains steadfast in keeping such an illogical position. The justification for that has now devolved to "it's for the children" and "rich people were/are evil".

Just stop and think about that for a second. Under Birdwatcher's justification of an illogical, illegal, unconstitutional series of actions, all that is needed is for the central Federal gov't to decide/decree that another free people's actions are "immoral" or "unethical", that such actions are driven by "evil rich people", and that to overthrow them is best "for the children".

Under such a "moral Crusade", Birdwatcher would unabashedly endorse and support the subjugation of American citizens (MD example), including the arrest and detention of duly elected representative government, suspension of habeas corpus and all other rights, confiscation of firearms and other lawfully held personal property, and threat of military bombardment of a civilian population.

Moreover, under his same "Crusade", the same pitiful excuse is all that is needed in order to launch a full military campaign and invasion of another sovereign nation, complete with conscription of soldiers to fight said war; and tacit or explicit endorsement of "total war" (i.e., war against all parties in that now invaded nation, including against civilians).

Thus, when one distills out the remainder of Birdwatcher's position, the fundamental rights to freedom and self-determination are crushed under the boot heel of tyranny with no more justification than "it's for the children" and "rich people are evil".

I have no doubt that Birdwatcher will be reminded of this here at every turn when those like Hussein, Clinton, Pelosi, Sarah Brady, Schumer, Feinstein, Pelosi, Bloomberg, Soros, and all their ilk tell us what freedoms we need to give up because of "evil rich people" and because doing so is "for the children". Likewise, I know that Birdwatcher will be among the first to give up his freedoms, perhaps today, in support of those same "moral Crusades" to protect the children from the evil rich.

Furthermore, I hope Birdwatcher will rejoin us to let us all know which sovereign nations we should invade with such force of will as to reinstitute the draft and wage "total war" against because they, too, might be governed by a handful of "evil rich" and because such an invasion would be "for the children". I've no doubt such a list would be quite long and lead to an imperialist "moral Crusade" the likes of which the world has never known. Yet, it will be completely justifiable, according to Birdwatcher, because the "evil rich" must be vanquished "for the children". Perhaps Birdwatcher, as he said he would do were he alive in 1861, will be among the first to volunteer and lead such a "moral Crusade" to save the world's children from the evil rich?

Iraq, Afghanistan, Grenada...you get the picture....

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
IC B2

Page 35 of 35 1 2 33 34 35

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

355 members (1lesfox, 160user, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 16penny, 12344mag, 28 invisible), 1,720 guests, and 949 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,178
Posts18,465,550
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.