-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Interesting results John. My RAR Predator doesn't shoot the 30 grain loads nearly as well as the 40 grain loads. I don't have any Remington 33 grain, which I always hear is the best shooting, but with the results I've seen, the cost vs results isn't there.

Rimfire certainly makes for a headache at times. What shoots so well in one won't shoot well at all in another...

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I also had one box of the Remington 33-grain on hand, and it shot well too.

What's unusual about this particular .22 Magnum is that so far it hasn't shown any vast preferences for any ammo, and shoots everything tried pretty well. Haven't owned a .22 Magnum like that before....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by ENorton
Anschutz 1720 with the CCI 30 grain red tip rounds. It will shoot 1/4 inch give or take at 50 yards.

Likes the 40 grain Winchester loads also but not the Hornady 30 grain ones.

I have a couple Anschutz 1720 and this is close to the same case with both of them. One ragged hole at 50 yards with the Hornady 30gr red tip.
Not too bad with the CCI and not quite as good with the 40 grain bullets.

Last edited by papalondog; 07/19/15.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Rolltide,

The next day I went back to the range with more ammo. Now have tried 9 different factory loads in this RAR and the LARGEST 5-round group at 50 yards was slightly over an inch. Have never owned a .22 Magnum that shot so consistently with so many different loads before, but did shoot one Volquartson semiauto that would. However, it would start malfunctioning after 25 rounds or so without cleaning, due to the tight chamber.

Next up is doing some chamber measurements, and contacting Ruger to see what they say about chambers.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
John,

That's pretty much what I've seen with mine...

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Same exact thing I've seen with mine. It is very consistent, but does have a preference for the Hornady 30gr. V-max. I wish I had some Remington accutips I could test, because my Mossberg chuckster really likes those. Back to the RAR 22 magnum: It shoots very well even after 200 rounds down the tube during the last range session, is very fast cycling and slick feeding. I've fired around 350 rounds downrange now with absolutely no hiccups. I'm very impressed with it and love the Ruger rotary magazines. I also want to add that accuracy doesn't wander when the barrel is warm and it takes a lot to get the barrel warm. Accuracy stays the same, whether cold barrel or warm. Poi doesn't change either.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Just tested my new RAR with four different loads this afternoon. So far it's the most consistently accurate .22 Magnum with various loads I've ever owned, and I've owned several, including but not limit to a Marlin 883, CZ 452 and two Winchester 9422M's. All together I shot eight 5-shot groups at 50 yards, two with each load, and the average for all of them was .75", which some people would call dime-sized.

The most accurate load was the Hornady 30-grain V-Max, which scatters all over a target from my 9422M. But I have a couple of other kinds of ammo that I didn't test today, which may shoot even better.

John, I just call that damn good shooting. Sounds like you got a keeper there.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks, sounds like everybody with a RAR .22 Magnum has a keeper!

I've had extremely good luck with Ruger's hammer-forged barrels in recent years, with none showing any tendency to wander as they heat up, despite what many shooters assume about HF barrels (or sporter barrels in general). Actually have had good luck with them since Ruger started making their own barrels in the early 1990's, but in the past few years they've gotten even better. Was told by Ruger about three years ago that this was due to practice by the operators, as good hammer-forging isn't a result of merely feeding steel into the machine.

Will also be very interested in what Ruger says about their .22 Mag chambers.

John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I had a RAR 22 magnum, but didn't get the 100 yard accuracy I was looking for. It wouldn't quite group with my CZ, so it went down the road.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Apparently even the RAR .22 Magnums are still somewhat bound by the tendencies of all .22 Magnums. Though will note that among the .22 Magnums I've owned before was a CZ, purchased because I'd had such great luck with CZ's in .22 Long Rifle and both the .17 Mach 2 and HMR. The .22 Magnum shot well with some loads, but not spectacularly, so went down the road.

I did e-mail a contact at Ruger, asking about why my RAR .22 Magnum shoots better than most. His quick answer was, "Luck?" But he also said he'd ask some questions and get back to me.

John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Believe it or not, my Stevens Favorite falling block remake (circa 1970) I re-chambered to .22WMR has made many MOA 5 shot groups @ 100 yards off a rest (Marksmans box) with Lyman peep rear and stock front sight. I was using Armscore 40 grain SJSP's. Have not shot it for a couple of years now unfortunately. It also liked the CCI MAXI-MAG bulk pack 40 grain JHP.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
This is my brothers RAR .22Mag. Right after we zeroed the scope.
[Linked Image]
It out shoots my CZ 452 .22Mag but not my Biathlon.

Rich

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Would be very interested to hear how it shoots with other kinds of ammo.

John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Would be very interested to hear how it shoots with other kinds of ammo.

I would too, around my parts .22mag is harder to find than .22LR.
When I find some I'll post the results.

Rich

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (6mmCreedmoor, 338Rules, 16penny, 338reddog, 15 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 835 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,227
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.