Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T LEE
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Because the Air Force hates and always has hated, the Close Air Support mission..

FINE, give them to the Army & Marines, they appreciate them and would make the most with them!

Actually, the Marines have had an Air wing for quite some time. My son was in aircraft maintenance in the Marines and worked on support equipment, C130's, and other aircraft. That was before he became a Marine Security Guard (Embassy Guard). Adopting another aircraft wouldn't be a stretch for them.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by PrimeBeef
They tried giving them to the Army, but the logistics train was "more than they could beah" and the Marines' airplanes are really DoN and besides, their landing gear is way too spindly for carrier use.

Jorge, I thought the Army didn't get the A-10 because they were prohibited from flying fixed-wing combat aircraft.

Army has been flying fixed wing airplanes longer than the Air Force, just not in a tactical role.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Tracks
Originally Posted by T LEE
Because the Air Force hates and always has hated, the Close Air Support mission..

FINE, give them to the Army & Marines, they appreciate them and would make the most with them!

Gonna give the marines the aircraft maintainence squadrons too?
Guys who joined the Air Force just might not want to be marines
That instantly took me back to '70 and the 1st draft lottery. My college roommate had to go take a pre-draft physical even though his number was too high to be drafted. They had all the men who passed the physical separated into 2 groups, new draftees and those who had higher numbers. The draftees were in a long line waiting to be processed when a guy wearing a different looking uniform with blue pants came in. He counted off about 1/3 of the line and moved them across the room. He then said "Congratulations men. You are now US Marines." Many of them freaked.

Yup... Seen it happen while I was inprocessing at the Detroit Center. Bunch of us were in a line waiting for our physical when a jarhead walked the line, grabbed a few and pulled them out of the line. Told them they were now Marines.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The USAF wants to retire them in large part because they are old! [bleep] wears out! Take a ride in a fighter or A-10 like aircraft and you'll see how hard they are flown. Do they have a suitable replacement in my opinion, no. But for most scenarios you can do good work with F-16s, F-35s, F-15Es, etc., and a JFACC. Do they want to say money and go to an F-35 fleet, sure. Neither can do all the other can, but overall the F-35 is certainly a more capable aircraft. And, the A-10 won't be doing CAS for long against a capable opponent with decent Surface-to-air capabilities. The F-35s and others with standoff weapons receiving targeting from a JFACC will be much more effective. While the USAF may not have the reputation of wanting the CAS mission, the A-10 community is very tight knit and rightfully very proud of their CAS and CSAR capability. The Army operates many fixed wing aircraft in recce and logistics roles.

Last edited by prm; 06/29/15.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
^^^WHAT HE SAID^^^..but.. the AF HATES the CAS mission. Always has.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by PrimeBeef
They tried giving them to the Army, but the logistics train was "more than they could beah" and the Marines' airplanes are really DoN and besides, their landing gear is way too spindly for carrier use.

Jorge, I thought the Army didn't get the A-10 because they were prohibited from flying fixed-wing combat aircraft.

Army has been flying fixed wing airplanes longer than the Air Force, just not in a tactical role.

Have they really? Well, what do you know! I always thought they just flew helicopters smirk

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sheister
Actually, the Marines have had an Air wing for quite some time. My son was in aircraft maintenance in the Marines and worked on support equipment, C130's, and other aircraft. That was before he became a Marine Security Guard (Embassy Guard). Adopting another aircraft wouldn't be a stretch for them.

Bob

It's not just another airplane in the wing. It's another support/part/training/deployment pipeline. The Marines are working very hard to get rid of Harriers, F/A-18's and EA-6B's and get to a single tacair platform, the F-35. No, it won't work but that is the plan.

Similarly, the Navy has moved down to the F/A-18C and the F/A-18 E/F/G platforms for TACAIR (and yes, the C needs to be broken out from the E/F/G since there is only about 15% parts commonality between the 1st gen and 2nd gen Hornet)platform. It took the Navy over 10 years to get where they are. It will take the Marines another 8. They are not likely to derail that track.

The article itself is biased pro A-10 and there is a significant amount of BS in it about current and future threats but it's also got valid points that shouldn't be ignored.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Agree, the USAF leadership is not too keen on the CAS mission. They will argue they are replacing the A-10 with an aircraft that will be better suited to future CAS missions, and there is some truth to that. But if we find ourselves fighting terrorist orgs or any non-nation state entity, the A-10 is tough to beat.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I wonder if we'd be having this conversation if we had kept to the "army airforce" rather than branching them off to a separate service?

Merge them back?

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Air Force has hated the Mud Mover job ever since WWII. They want clean, romantic missions of the Red Baron fighting Snoopy.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

204 members (12344mag, 300jimmy, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 2UP, 22 invisible), 2,261 guests, and 917 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,711
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.