Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
m77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Good day.

I recently bought a Savage LRPV dual port 223 1:9. I got the rifle for a very good price and thought it might be a great rifle to do some culling, varmint shooting and target shooting with.

How well do they tend to shoot as they come from the factory? How is the HS stock that it comes with? I only have little experience with HS stocks and have not used one enough to have a solid opinion on them.

Thanks

Pieter

Last edited by m77; 06/29/15.
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've never shot your rifle, so I can't tell you how it shoots. If you are asking a generality about Savage quality, then here's what I say.
I've been shooting and building on savages for several decades. They have always had the capability of having fantastic barrels, which is why finally the word had spread that "Savage makes shooters". The part that doesn't also get past on is how abysmal their QC has ALWAYS been. For the price paid, they were generally a good deal, unless you got one of the turds... But as soon add they dropped the Stevens line and doubled their price, without increasing quality, nor whittling down the QC issues; I finally quit. Most recently they have been shipping, and recalling, a pile of short throated Creedmoors...
So you *SHOULD* have a decent rifle, if not you'll quickly find how maddening a tomato-stake can be.

HS stocks have always been decent enough.

I'm a firm believer in the theory of " If it bleeds, I can kill it".
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

I too have been playing around with Savage rifles 15 yrs or so...
and what I've found the factory barrels are usually rough..so expect copper fouling even in the LRPV..simple fix is an aftermarket tube...large shank in your case..but for the time being just shoot it and see how it works...maybe you'll have a decent shooter with little fouling...factory tubes are only so good...my last two projects have just used the Savage target action & a custom built to my specs Pac Nor tube...which is vast superior to the OEM barrel...all of my older Savage s/shot actions also use P-N tubes...you have a very capable rifle...good caliber...a tad heavy for most shooters..the stock is well made...the target accue trigger is also very usable with little fuss...just be sure to squeeze/pull on the center blade...not outside edge of trigger...otherwise it will not go bang...try & you'll see

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

m77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks guys. Is the bedding block in the HS stock good enough, or can it benefit from skim bedding?

Pieter

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by m77
Thanks guys. Is the bedding block in the HS stock good enough, or can it benefit from skim bedding?

Pieter

make sure all bolts are evenly tightened......scope too...

shoot it !

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 160user, 71 invisible), 2,411 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,116
Posts18,464,530
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.