Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
How much longer sight plane does it take to really notice a differnce ? say will a glock 21 really be that much eaiser to shoot accurate than a 30 ? just nder an inch differnce.

Last edited by ldholton; 06/30/15.
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I can shoot any handgun barrel length equally bad. That said, I do find the fit and the balance of a handgun more conducive to accuracy
than the length of its sight plane - except for handguns with barrels under 3" or over 5 1/2".

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I haven't found a longer sight plane to be an advantage at combat distances under 25 yards. at 50 and beyond anything longer than 5 inches is really wasted on me.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
story behind the question, I got a 10mm conversion barrel for my glock 30. I've been impressed so I was thinking of getting a longer barrel like 6" or so to ring out top velocity for hunting reasons. Just wanting thoughts on dropping the longer barrel in the 30 I already have or if it was worth the $$ for a new glock 20 or 21 and conversion

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by ldholton
How much longer sight plane does it take to really notice a differnce ? say will a glock 21 really be that much eaiser to shoot accurate than a 30 ? just nder an inch differnce.
A longer sighting plane will always be more accurate, all other things being equal. Don't think of it as only an inch, but what percentage longer.

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Originally Posted by ldholton
A longer sighting plane will always be more accurate, all other things being equal. Don't think of it as only an inch, but what percentage longer.

Excellent point , in this case about 25%

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There will be more precise aiming with a longer sight radius, but the consistency of holding - the grip, trigger work, and follow through are going to be approximately the same. You could I guess argue that a longer, heavier barrel has more inertia, and is less likely to wobble. Then again, with a short barrel, the bullet's gone before you have a chance to wiggle. smile

There is a general trend there, but I think the exact situation, will depend on the individual shooter.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
There will be more precise aiming with a longer sight radius, but the consistency of holding - the grip, trigger work, and follow through are going to be approximately the same. You could I guess argue that a longer, heavier barrel has more inertia, and is less likely to wobble. Then again, with a short barrel, the bullet's gone before you have a chance to wiggle. smile

There is a general trend there, but I think the exact situation, will depend on the individual shooter.

+1 on tex's statement ----- the precision is in YOU not the firearm --- the longer radius is NOT more precise, it allows YOU to be more precise --- aligned sights are aligned sights regardless of radius. The only thing the longer radius gives you is a decreased margin of error and (IMO) as you age, that margin decreases along with your eyesight as your ability to focus decreases. It's roughly like asking if a rifle is more accurate with a scope on it. The rifle is the rifle, only your ability to use it has changed. Of course certain cartridge/loads may shoot better out of longer barrels, but that's a different discussion.
JMO, of course, I could be wrong.

Last edited by gmoats; 07/01/15.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
not really on the topic, but i did buy a six inch barrel for a glock 20. After chrony'd loads, yes i did get more velocity, but not enough to fascinate me. The barrel also sticks out the end of the slide. Sighting radius is still the same.
Now in a ruger blackhawk 10mm, the 7inch plus barrel both gives more velocity, but i think better sighting at longer ranges.
shooting k frames in 2, 4, 6inch, the six inch is easier to aim with longer radius at distance.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,552 guests, and 703 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,520
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.