Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Powdr:

This may be best handled off line in a PM.

But I'll give you some basic information.

I'm a pretty well advanced senior citizen. My resume is 4 pages long.

FYI I served in the Navy and travelled to many countries. After discharge I eventually studied Hydrology.

My career was universally involved with drilling commercial wells, oil wells, caissons, elevator shafts, soil, sampling, subsurface investigations.

I worked for drilling contractors, AEC Architects, Engineers. Constructors, mining and drilling equipment manufacturers, as a supervisor, Manager, sales and marketing representative and as a company manager and on USAID Government sponsored and financed projects in foreign countries.

I had the good fortune to hunt game in all of those countries in South Americas, Africa and South East Asia.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by William_E_Tibbe
Hi Whip:

Your subject matter is certainly important enough to deserve some more observations.

One of mine is, after living overseas for so long, that there is NOTHING in the underdeveloped countries, where I sent most of my time, like the good old USA. You had to be constantly alert and vigilant and take extraordinary precautions to avoid the pitfall and tiny little varmints.

Maybe I should have mentioned that back in my days there was the World Health Organization, International Certificates of Vaccination. You got your shots or you didn't travel, period.

I still have one of my old certificates. Shots were for cholera, yellow fever, thypus, typhoid A&B. Those countries were walking diseases.

You never, ever drank tap water. *( Only bottled water) You did not eat green/raw salads. Did not frequent native restaurants you in the boondocks.

Your post focuses on dangerous diseases and that is, in my opinion, really a very important issue that has profound consequences for us here at home. To elaborate here is a link to Dr. Madeline Cosman's article about the diseases aliens are bringing into our country.

http://www.newswithviews.com/Cosman/madeleine3.htm

With all of the hullabaloo now with the Presidential candidates this subject takes on new light.

Good points all.

I remember those shots and the yellow passbooks recording all the shots. I too have been around the world and never suffered any major illnesses or accidents, whether in Asia, Africa, South America or the Middle East.

That said, I had a huge reaction to a caesar salad in a top hotel in Caracas, and just itwo months ago, another intestinal adventure on a one-day trip in and out of Shanghai.. Your advice about diet and drink are spot on.

I too do wonder about the lack of supervision over aliens coming to the US. It is very, very different in Japan, where I've spent the last two decades.

Now all I have to worry about is the critters in the high desert of New Mexico. I'll save my Mohave Green rattlesnake in the front courtyard story of last Thursday for another time.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I'm not a big wolrd traveler,but I picked up a dose of Giardosis in France.

Sickest I have ever been was from a bout of food poisning I got from an Italian meat ball sandwich after eating at the Bootlegger in Las Vegas Nevada.

In all my hunting though,I have never gotten sick out in the wilds.Can't say the same about flying.It's not the danger of crashing ,but breathing all that recirculated air in a big aluminum tube and allthe germs that it carries from the sick people flying.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
One of the most frequently contracted diseases in the U.S. is "SHOT Show Flu." It's actually a variety of ailments picked up when 60,000+ people from all over the world fly into one Nevada city, often spending at least half a day on a plane, then spend several days shaking hands with each other.

I've traveled to a number of destinations around the world for hunting, but never gotten anything more than a sore throat. The SHOT Show is far more contagious.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
What about 24hcfvertigosis? I've consistently read some things here that make my head spin.........

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
One of the most frequently contracted diseases in the U.S. is "SHOT Show Flu." It's actually a variety of ailments picked up when 60,000+ people from all over the world fly into one Nevada city, often spending at least half a day on a plane, then spend several days shaking hands with each other.

I've traveled to a number of destinations around the world for hunting, but never gotten anything more than a sore throat. The SHOT Show is far more contagious.
I've heard that the real danger at SHOT shows is that after you get home, your wallet bleeds for months.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
One does not have to leave the country to have problems.

Years ago a coworker ended up dying from Rocky Mountain Spotted fever, most likely contracted at his house just outside Nashville.

Local medical folks were watching it closely since he had 30 some odd folks over for outside affair about the time he would have picked up a tick.

CDC - Tickborne Diseases of the U.S. - Ticks

Well great that did not work . .

Plan B Below

http://www.cdc.gov/ticks/diseases/

Last edited by LouisB; 07/08/15.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 50 invisible), 2,524 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,953
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.