Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
It not only makes him a fraud. It makes him a lying mealy mouthed sumbitch who is smokin' a turd in hell for the death of 600,000 Americans,...that he was elected to represent.

It's obvious that he didn't represent those in the south. But it's equally obvious that he didn't represent those in the north that he sent to their death.

GB1

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/congress-passes-civil-war-conscription-act

During the Civil War, the U.S. Congress passes a conscription act that produces the first wartime draft of U.S. citizens in American history. The act called for registration of all males between the ages of 20 and 45, including aliens with the intention of becoming citizens, by April 1. Exemptions from the draft could be bought for $300 or by finding a substitute draftee. This clause led to bloody draft riots in New York City, where protesters were outraged that exemptions were effectively granted only to the wealthiest U.S. citizens.

A
acy Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

I don't recall most Northerners having much pride in their particular State, except when they hold it up to be so much better than Texas [insert any Southern state here].

The reason became clear to me a few years ago during a conversation in my office with a friend from Spain and a Vendor from Connecticut.

Becoming a "Citizen of the World" is the goal of every Liberal. In order to become that, they think pride of origin must be destroyed.

The Vendor was praising my friend, Vicente for being "A GOOD citizen of the world".

I told him Vicente had to be a good citizen of Valencia, Spain, before he could be a "Good citizen of the world".

The Vendor disagreed. Provincial pride was an obstacle to be overcome.

The Confederate Flag represents everything the Liberals hate, and it has NOTHING to do with slavery or the Civil War.

It's a reminder that we will NEVER think like them. [/quote]

Curdog4570, I appreciate what you are saying regarding citizens of the world. I hate that saying! To me, it means that you stand for nothing. Only a liberal pos is a "citizen of the world".

Regarding state pride, everyone shoud have some. I suspect that lots of Texans believe that Texas is the best state. Can probably make some good arguments, too. As to Michigan, I take great pride in its' natural resources. It is a beautiful state, once you get north of Saginaw. Better than Texas? No, just different. I would guess that my walleye fishing is better than yours, but you're pig hunting and ocean fishing are better than mine. I don't want to talk about football right now, but maybe some day.....lol.
For us conservative Yankees, there isn't a lot to be proud of, politically, for sure. But we do what we can do. Feels a lot like swimming against the tide. There are some bright spots, though. Wisconsin elected Walker. Michigan has a Republican State House and Senate, Governor, Attorney General, and Secretary of State. If we could only stop sending liberal scum to Washington, I could begin to take a little more pride in our politics.

ps. Hope everyone has a happy and safe 4th.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most every State has something going for it. If a man can't stick up for what's right about the place he lives, he will likely be one that's better left to hisself.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

I've been in Texas most of my life now, so may be somewhat qualified to remark on "the South", leastways I'm comfortable living here, or would be if I moved there in case Texas ain't really the "the South".
Birdwatcher

The only time Texas feels like the South, is when you get over in the eastern part with all the pine trees. Then it feels like the south.

I grew up in north central Texas, we never did identify with the rebel flag. We viewed it as the losing sides flag. We all had pride in the Texas flag. Maybe thats what a mandatory year of Texas History does to you.

Do they still have a year of Texas History in school?

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The local schools here still teach Texas History in 7th grade just as they did when I went to school.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was thinking 7th grade, but its been so long. Still remember some guys came in with flintlocks and fired off a couple "blanks" when we got into the Alamo/Goliad parts. I doubt they can do that anymore.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They could in Windthorst ISD.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bristoe
It not only makes him a fraud. It makes him a lying mealy mouthed sumbitch who is smokin' a turd in hell for the death of 600,000 Americans,...that he was elected to represent.

It's obvious that he didn't represent those in the south. But it's equally obvious that he didn't represent those in the north that he sent to their death.

See, now you ain't making any sense.

With respect to Black folks Lincoln made himself clear; he himself didn't like slavery. This was a common reaction, if ya didn't grow up in a world where ONE THIRD of the population didn't own their own newborn children, it would be a natural thing to look at such with revulsion. Almost all of us today are exactly like that; no one wants slavery even if they themselves don't happen to care to live around Black folks and don't like interracial marriage.

Almost nobody in the North was in favor of interracial marriage, nor in the South either, but by 1860 a great many slaves were at least part White. It was actual Southerners doing almost of the miscegenation, an inevitable result when ya have more'n a million young women in your midst who couldn't claim ownership rights to even their own body.

As for Lincoln, he about reflected the sentiments of the North; didn't like slavery, thought they should go back to Africa, but made no bones about the fact he was fighting to preserve the Union, and made no bones about the fact WHY he moved at the end to eliminate slavery, the issue had divided the nation since the very beginning.

This is why all those men of the sort that he sent to their death, in the midst of the bloodiest crescendo of an astonishingly horrific and bloody war, while huddled in the actual trenches, voted like 5 to 1 in 1864 to reelect Lincoln and prosecute the war.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B

With respect to Black folks Lincoln made himself clear; he himself didn't like slavery. This was a common reaction, if ya didn't grow up in a world where ONE THIRD of the population didn't own their own newborn children, it would be a natural thing to look at such with revulsion. Almost all of us today are exactly like that; no one wants slavery even if they themselves don't happen to care to live around Black folks and don't like interracial marriage.

Almost nobody in the North was in favor of interracial marriage, nor in the South either, but by 1860 a great many slaves were at least part White. It was actual Southerners doing almost of the miscegenation, an inevitable result when ya have more'n a million young women in your midst who couldn't claim ownership rights to even their own body.

As for Lincoln, he about reflected the sentiments of the North; didn't like slavery, thought they should go back to Africa, but made no bones about the fact he was fighting to preserve the Union, and made no bones about the fact WHY he moved at the end to eliminate slavery, the issue had divided the nation since the very beginning.

This is why all those men of the sort that he sent to their death, in the midst of the bloodiest crescendo of an astonishingly horrific and bloody war, while huddled in the actual trenches, voted like 5 to 1 in 1864 to reelect Lincoln and prosecute the war.

Birdwatcher

I'm making perfect sense.

You need to stop and question an education that was beaten into your ass (literally) when you were a student in England.

The truth don't need a fuggin' strap.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I grew up in north central Texas, we never did identify with the rebel flag. We viewed it as the losing sides flag. We all had pride in the Texas flag. Maybe thats what a mandatory year of Texas History does to you.

North Central Texas, along with the German Hill Country, voted against Secession in 1861.and was regarded as a hotbed of Unionism in Texas during the war. So much so that Texas Home Guard and Confederate elements rounded up and hanged forty of 'em on mere suspicion, and shot two more.

https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/jig01

I expect folks with deep roots up there still remember this as much as the Germans around Fredericksburg still do.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Lincoln was a totalitarian tyrant who got elected President in the land of the free.

Things have been fugged up ever since.

That's it,....that's all.

If you have to type a callous on your finger to counter that fact, your reasoning ability is fugged up.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
During the Civil War, the U.S. Congress passes a conscription act that produces the first wartime draft of U.S. citizens in American history.

There was a lot of that going around....

Actual opposition to the Confederacy in Cooke County [TX] began with the Conscription Acts of April 1862. Thirty men signed a petition protesting the exemption of large slaveholders from the draft and sent it to the Congress at Richmond.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You need to stop and question an education that was beaten into your ass (literally) when you were a student in England.

I left in like the seventh grade.

I don't recall learning anything about the War Between the States over there one way or another.

As for Lincoln, I'll read up on him and get back to you.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B

I left in like the seventh grade.

Too late, evidently.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by curdog4570
The local schools here still teach Texas History in 7th grade just as they did when I went to school.

Or they are supposed to....

http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/rules/tac/chapter113/ch113b.html

§113.19. Social Studies, Grade 7, Beginning with School Year 2011-2012.

(a) Introduction.

(1) In Grade 7, students study the history of Texas from early times to the present. Content is presented with more depth and breadth than in Grade 4. Students examine the full scope of Texas history, including Natural Texas and its People; Age of Contact; Spanish Colonial; Mexican National; Revolution and Republic; Early Statehood; Texas in the Civil War and Reconstruction; Cotton, Cattle, and Railroads; Age of Oil; Texas in the Great Depression and World War II; Civil Rights and Conservatism; and Contemporary Texas eras. The focus in each era is on key individuals, events, and issues and their impact. Students identify regions of Texas and the distribution of population within and among the regions and explain the factors that caused Texas to change from an agrarian to an urban society. Students describe the structure and functions of municipal, county, and state governments, explain the influence of the U.S. Constitution on the Texas Constitution, and examine the rights and responsibilities of Texas citizens. Students use primary and secondary sources to examine the rich and diverse cultural background of Texas as they identify the different racial and ethnic groups that settled in Texas to build a republic and then a state. Students analyze the impact of scientific discoveries and technological innovations on the development of Texas in various industries such as agricultural, energy, medical, computer, and aerospace. Students use primary and secondary sources to acquire information about Texas.

(2) To support the teaching of the essential knowledge and skills, the use of a variety of rich primary and secondary source material such as biographies, autobiographies, novels, speeches, letters, diaries, poetry, songs, and images is encouraged. Motivating resources are available from museums, historical sites, presidential libraries, and local and state preservation societies.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B

Here,...

http://www.amazon.com/The-Real-Lincoln-Abraham-Unnecessary/dp/0761526463

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Birdwatcher

This is the only post making any sense on this whole last page of this thread.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Here,...

http://www.amazon.com/The-Real-Lincoln-Abraham-Unnecessary/dp/0761526463

Your link was an easy look-up. I also found this:
DiLorenzo's book, The Real Lincoln: A New Look at Abraham Lincoln, His Agenda, and an Unnecessary War is a critical biography published in 2002.

Controversy arose in 2011 when DiLorenzo testified before the House Financial Services Committee at the request of former U.S. Congressman Ron Paul. During the hearing, Congressman Lacy Clay criticized DiLorenzo for his associations with the League of the South, which Clay described as a "neo-Confederate group.

Writing for The Daily Beast, Rich Lowry described DiLorenzo's technique in this book as the following: "His scholarship, such as it is, consists of rummaging through the record for anything he can find to damn Lincoln, stripping it of any nuance or context, and piling on pejorative adjectives. In DiLorenzo, the Lincoln-haters have found a champion with the judiciousness and the temperament they deserve.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Most every State has something going for it. If a man can't stick up for what's right about the place he lives, he will likely be one that's better left to hisself.

maine has excellent deer huting , moose hunting(if ya can draw a tag)and bear hunting.

downside:
but also has mosquito,s, blackflies, mooseflies,deerflies, horseflies that will make your life miserable from late april to early September

tennessee has excellent deer hunting and turkey hunting and no income tax
Fort Campbell Kentucky has excellent deer and turkey hunting also

downside:
both places have negroes......................
and their aint no season on them..................

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

227 members (338reddog, 12344mag, 160user, 35, 300jimmy, 2UP, 25 invisible), 1,678 guests, and 900 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,598
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.