Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dave284
I mounted the Vortex CFII and shot it some. Comparing it to the old VarixII it compared vary well, while the sun was up. They were virtually neck to neck in every aspect that I compared them. Once the sun was down the Leupold started pulling away fairly quickly. Looking at a small piece of bark sticking up on top of a broken tree at about 125 yards (the stump is near the edge of the wood line across an open field) it was nearly indistinguishable at 8:47 p.m. through the Vortex. With the Leupold I could have still taken a shot at the small piece of bark a full 13 minutes later.

A doe came into the field at about 9. She stayed directly in line behind a small bush at the ditch line although she came within about 50 yards. Both scopes were at 12 power and the parallax was adjusted for the piece of bark at 125 yards, I did not change the settings to optimize either scope. The Leupold definitely gave me a better look at her features such as the white around her nose and eyeballs.

I'm sure it's not fair to compare a scope costing a couple hundred more but in all actuality the Vortex compared very well and since I normally don't hunt up till the last few minutes of light I could very easily live with the Vortex for the money saved, at least on anything I'd hunt with a 22 or 17 rimfire.

Another plus for the Vortex, the A.O. adjust down to 10 yards. The power and A.O. ring both adjust smoothly and easily. If it matters to you the Vortex also came with a sunshade.

I didn't have much time to shoot because of wanting to compare the two scopes so I didn't get to play with the tracking much. I did however (after getting it sighted in to p.o.a.) turn the elevation screw all the way down and back up to zero. I then fired a five shot group right on top of another one I had shot prior to moving the turret. Next I cranked it all the way up and back down to zero and fired another 5 shots. The entire 15 shots were in about a 1/2" group, about what this rifle has proven to do with this ammo at this range (25 yards).

My only complaint with the scope is that the turret caps seem a little loose. The screws holding them were tight. They evidently didn't slip but they feel like they could. The ones on the 3 - 9 on my 17 feel much more "secure".

Only time will tell if the scope will hold up but if not, it is covered by their lifetime warranty.

For rimfires, I will be trying a few more of them. YMMV.

Dave.

You are saying that a Leupold Varix II, magnesium fluoride single layer lens coating, was noticeably brighter and lasted almost fifteen minutes longer at dusk? That sure doesn't place the Vortex in a favorable light (pardon the pun, it was just too easy)! crazy

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Phillip ....

I had a VariX-II 3-9x40 ($100 NIB on clearance) that I swear was brighter and clearer than ANY of the 5-6 VX-II 3-9x40 riflescopes I own or have owned. Go figure.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Take it for what it is. Like I said, I was comparing very different price ranges and years of manufacturing technology. The fifeteen minutes was at 125 yards or so. Either scope would have let me slide a bullet between the does eyes, just the Leupold let me see more detail. If I had cranked the power down and adjusted the A.O. for the best view it could have been a different story, but I doubt it.

For the vast majority of what I do with a 22 (plinking, practice, making holes in paper from the bench, squack hunting and pest control around the house) the Vortex will probably work just fine. As always, YMMV.

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have always liked the "old" Vari-X scopes; I know there have been advances in optics, but I have doubts that much of it equates to the advertising.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I stumbled upon my current favorite moderately priced rimfire scope. Bushnell banner 3.5-10x36 AO ,it's a fantastic scope for the money. I think I paid 99.00 for mine.

WarDamnEagle
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Laugh if you must, but I blew a whopping $109 on a Redfield Battlezone 22 scope. Tracks well so far and took 30 seconds to sight in. Pull up turrets are pretty much a no-no, but on a 10/22 its a pretty slick little deal.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by 16bore
Laugh if you must, but I blew a whopping $109 on a Redfield Battlezone 22 scope. Tracks well so far and took 30 seconds to sight in. Pull up turrets are pretty much a no-no, but on a 10/22 its a pretty slick little deal.

I recently procured one of those. have just got to get it sighted in (any day now). I like it, given the price point.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like it on the stubby chubby in Talley's. SWFA on a 17HMR Whittaker special for the OP.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Regular
Online Mad
Campfire Regular
J
I reset parallax on a Redfield Revolution to 50 yds for my RAR predator 22 lr. Seemed a better fit than some Chicom pos.

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
489 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 45 invisible), 2,180 guests, and 1,011 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,160
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.