Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Guys:

Thanks for the input. I don't impugn anyone's posts.

Just for clarification - I'm not selling anything nor trying to sway anyone's opinions.

From the last two posts, we are still philosophically light years apart in projectile and placement. I'm going for the brain and eyes.

I have the Ruger .338 Magnum and had the Winchester Model 70 .375 H&H Magnum. If I was shooting bears stand off casually I would certainly prefer those over shotgun - no contest at all.

I think that I would like to hear more about the forensic details of the two posters. Where were the hits and how were the aftermath reactions.

I can't/won't entertain you with melodramatic tales of close encounters. Shooting bear has a consequence.

https://www.google.com/search?sourc...q=fine+for+shooting+ngrizzlys+in+wyoming

Note I'm not confessing to anything,

A friend feeds them. He has 13
regular's that come every day and never cause trouble.

My son lives 1/2 hour from me. He has had bears in his yard constantly for 26 years. Never an incident.

I would really like to hear more details about the two incident's posted last.

Last edited by William_E_Tibbe; 07/30/15.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Doesn't matter if you shoot them under the chin as their charging... laugh laugh

Untold number of years along, in the 'bush' offered that wisdom...

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
You're missing the point. They move too fast, often in thick brush and partially obscured to count on hitting them in the head. What's more, a brown bear's skull is angled and muscled in such a way that in a head on presentation deflection can easily occur, especially with a projectile as ballistically inefficient as buckshot. I would take pepper spray over a shotgun with buckshot, and that's saying something.

Also, feeding bears and habituating them is a very bad idea and likely illegal. One or both parties will end up in trouble.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pabucktail

You said: "Whereas my criteria is HEAD shots and broad patterns, some seem to be stuck on body penetration."

Your thinking runs afoul of my experience. In my experience when a bear is coming for real, you shoot the middle of the brown blur with something big enough to matter. You use something with about 2200-2500 fps velocity with a good bullet that will expand and dig deep. I like a .375 and a 300 grain Nosler, but the 9.3 with a 286 would likely do the same job. Lots of other stuff out there will work. The only way I'd use a shotgun is with magnum brennekes, and that's a ways down the list.

Yup +1

I’m okay with breaking the pelvis if the bullet can make it that far. CNS-ing a bear that is intent upon making dough out of a fellow is fine in the mind’s eye perhaps, but then a fellow would have more hope of connecting with dragonflies in flight than actually making those shots in real time.

Too many folks get stuck on the bear charge deal however. Bears most generally don’t charge unless you encourage it. That includes sneaking up on them (as when one has ill intent), poking a hole in one in the wrong, inadequate place, being ignorant or unaware of one’s surroundings, and very rarely just plain being unlucky. I know plenty of folks who have somehow been involved in the former options (as well as many prominent folks whose names are well known). I don’t personally know of anyone who is among the latter option, or even know of it second-hand. I can’t think of anything big enough to overcome ‘ignorant' however.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ruger has a Guide Gun with a 20" barrel and good irons, laminated stock. Comes in .375R, .416R, and .338 Winmag. The stock has spacers that allow you to adjust the length. Review this month in Rifle.

Or you could shorten one of your big guns a bit.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
There are two videos here one after the other. Watch them both, both are different situations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=401ATHqOCOg&app=desktop

One of the dumb things I see people do on TV or movies is they come across a bear that isn't aware of their presence and instead of sneaking off so the bear is unaware, they yell at the bear, "Hey Bear!!!" Bad idea. Second video shows that isn't always possible but having to shoot the bear isn't always necessary either. Be prepared in either situation. In the second the guide knew early on what the possibility was and had his gun out. In the first one it's obvious they had time to prepare. May have waited too long, hard to tell from the video what the distance was. Your brain is your most important weapon.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Interesting because we were told to always alert the bear to our presence with a 'hey bear', and then walk away.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 67 invisible), 2,326 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,654
Posts18,455,538
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.