Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
The problem is there is no internationally or even nationally recognized licensing body for gunsmiths. There is no testing or qualifications required. Any A-hole can hang out a shingle announcing to the world he is a "gunsmith". I have been a machinist since 1987 and am more than capable of doing many gunsmithing jobs but I would not dream of calling myself a gunsmith. To me a real gunsmith is an expert in machining and woodworking plus bedding and all the other parts of the trade. Perhaps that is why many specialize in stock work or metal work or whatever. It would take three lifetimes to be a master of every part of the gunsmith racket.

GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by m77

I believe in most industries the biggest problem is people just barely do enough in their jobs as they believe that is all they need to do. When people start doing their jobs with pride and real commitment then things start to change in the right direction. The problem is there is only a hand full of people that really takes ownership.

Pieter

I blame the big box stores for this attitude. There they don't have to know the answer or even understand the question. I heard the classic response at a local big box sporting goods the other day. The clerk actually said, " I can't help you, I have ADHD." He then walked away.

I will hunt everywhere before I die!
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
As if incompetence were limited to gunsmiths. I can't seen to find a good doctor, dentist, mechanic etc. etc.. Most people just suck at their chosen profession, mostly because they just don't give a shyt and want to make as much money as they can as fast as they can.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's kind of funny how simple the mechanics are on most guns, how tolerant the machining is, how simple bedding is and yet how hard it is for some to say "good enough" and let it out the door, yet so simple for others to overlook larger flaws.

You can have guild members, and you can have tacticool pants wearing punch pounders......but very few in between that deserve to be paid.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
In regards to using screws or clamps for bedding, be aware that it only takes 3 inch pounds of torque to bend a Remington 700 action.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1lessdog, 1234, 1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,323 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,656
Posts18,455,599
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.