Print Thread
Hop To
O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Hey everyone. I'm starting to feel like I done screwed up royally. Had a new rig built recently. A trued M700 with a Bartlein 5R pipe in 30/06. Should have been as boring a project as there ever was. Yipes! I don't know if it's the 5R barrel or what,but this thing WON"T group. Anything. Think of a cow pissing on a flat rock sort of accuracy. I've run both 4350s,760,RL22 & RL17. Bullets from 150gr through 180gr. A-MAxes,Ballistic Tips,Hornady Spire Points,Speer Hot Cores and Partitions. There is some glaring problem I can't identify. 2 scopes and 2 sets of mounts so far. One brand new Leupold 3.5X - 10X and a proven VXII 4X - 12X. The last one in new Burris Signatures on Warne steel bases. Pulled that scope off of my one hole Tikka. Can' think there is a problem there. We are talking 3" groups @ 100 yds on a good day. Worse on a bad day. The whole works is bedded in a B&C Medalist. This is my first 5R. First Bartlein as well. And by far the worst shooting custom rifle I've ever seen. Anyone here have a ray of hope to offer? The smith that built it is going to take another look at her,but I really don't know what he will find that he could have missed when he built her. This SUCKS.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I'd bet something is either loose in a bind or both. It could be a bad barel but not because of brand or the 5R part. A barrel problem would be one of the last things if think it would be reguardless of maker. I've not personally used that stock but heard/read where folks have had issues with the bedding block causing stress? I'd still bet on too loose binding or maybe a screw too long.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
bedding and freebore were the culprits the last time I had an issue.

As far as the pooch goes, if you have to ask, stop drinking.

O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Yeah,I've run into the scope base screw hitting the barrel threads in years past. I always check that now. I was thinking maybe the firing pin/spring might be dragging. This B&C is the lighter weight version. It doesn't have the full block,but rather a pillar and half block. I'm hoping that isn't the issue. I won't have the resources for a McMillan until after hunting season now. I thought about throwing it in a tupperware SPS stock I have here just for the he!! of it. More just to see if anything changes. I just talked to my smithy,and it's off to him next week for a look see. Maybe he can get it to shoot. I'm sure he'll get it ironed out. He's a great guy and a true professional.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
As far as the pooch goes, if you have to ask, stop drinking.

Now that's funny. laugh

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Man that sucks...
I just shot the Steyr 06 I got from pacecars with a 6x this afternoon.
3 into .6" using hornady factory 180.
I'd feel pretty burned if I dumped a bunch of time, money and effort into a 30-06 shotgun.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'm having flashbacks.

Ps....tikka for the win!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Let your smith look at it but send it to another smith when he's done. They not be any better but it's a new set of eyes looking for new problems.

Adam

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Thinking this is a mechanical problem

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by ringworm
Man that sucks...
I just shot the Steyr 06 I got from pacecars with a 6x this afternoon.
3 into .6" using hornady factory 180.
I'd feel pretty burned if I dumped a bunch of time, money and effort into a 30-06 shotgun.

Shhh stop rubbing it in

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I don't understand all I know about this but I did have a similar problem once. We never identified the problem but we disassembled the rifle and put it back together and it started giving us 1/2" groups. I always thought it was possessed and we just gave it a good exorcism.

I will hunt everywhere before I die!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I seriously doubt it is the barrel.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Did you smith do the metal work and the bedding? If so, I'd be inclined to politely ask him to take a look and troubleshoot.

O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by devnull
Did you smith do the metal work and the bedding? If so, I'd be inclined to politely ask him to take a look and troubleshoot.

Yep. He did the work,and was confident we can get it ironed out. Taking it over early next week.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I went the rounds with a custom 30-06 too. Three different scopes and mounts, different stock, lots of loads. It's now getting a new barrel after a year and a half of tinkering. If it doesn't shoot this time I'm giving up.

Bb

O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Now that's depressing.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

245 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 28 invisible), 2,245 guests, and 1,112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,479
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.