-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Headed to LA Thursday with a group of buds. Hard to find any up to date reports. Our charter capts wife says they're wearin em out. Tuna, big mahi, wahoo.... Anyone on here been there this week? Last week? I'd like to believe her but she's not gonna tell us it's slow. Anyone been out that way?

Long Live The Judge

Thinking of moving to Florida? Don't........
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I know they were doing pretty well at the Tarpon Rodeo in Grand Isle last weekend.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Every day is different out there, but you can always be assured that you are in the best place...if not the best time. If you don't catch 'em, it's just because they weren't biting at the moment. Give us a report!

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Yea, you'd have to work at it to not catch fish in Louisiana. Might not be what you were 'targeting' that day, but you have to go with what's hot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been a lot of boats in south Timb 151 lately

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Google Faux Pas Fishing Rodeo
It was this past weekend

"Hunting, fishing, roping, working, sleeping, eating. Not always in that order."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Haven't fished out of Venice in years, but LOVE the area. Those rigs are in very deep water, so nearly all the action is trolling. Everything from king mackerel to Blue Marlin can be encountered at times. Trolling "rips" or current lines is usually more productive than working rigs, though both can pay off. Wrong time of the year for tuna and wahoo on the Midnight Lump (Sackette's Bank), but remember than off the mouth of the Mississippi the water depth is such that blue water species like tuna and billfish are found very close to shore - 100 fathom drop is less than 7 miles from South Pass.

Have a good time, and yes, give us reports!

B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Try louisiansportsman.com.

Look in the reports section under fishing. Should find some reports that are helpful.

The specks have been on fire as of late. West wind has been an issue most of the summer.

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Pretty sure we fished with the most unprepared and un motivated capt I've ever met. 160 mile round trip, 2 tuna both under 50 lbs. 2 guys in our group caught nothing, nada zilch. Really disappointing after a 14 hour ride to Venice. At least we bought some shrimp to bring home.

Last edited by billy336; 08/02/15.

Long Live The Judge

Thinking of moving to Florida? Don't........
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
pretty hard not to catch fish off those rigs in the gulf.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by billy336
Pretty sure we fished with the most unprepared and un motivated capt I've ever met. 160 mile round trip, 2 tuna both under 50 lbs. 2 guys in our group caught nothing, nada zilch. Really disappointing after a 14 hour ride to Venice. At least we bought some shrimp to bring home.

I guess I was always a bit confused as to why someone would drive from Florida to LA to go saltwater fishing.

It's kind of like driving from Wisconsin to Minnesota in February for the snow.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Because the area off the Mississippi Delta contains the most fertile fishing grounds imaginable, with VERY deep water close to port, and every variety of blue water game fish in abundance. Sadly, there are always bad days fishing - anywhere. I know or have known some very good captains that fish those waters, like the Ballay brothers whose family used to run the old Venice Marina. There are always "new guys" that might not be as competent, and federal government regulations have forced a lot of good captains out of business.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by billy336

I guess I was always a bit confused as to why someone would drive from Florida to LA to go saltwater fishing.

It's kind of like driving from Wisconsin to Minnesota in February for the snow.

Ignorance is bliss ain't it?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

159 members (35, 257 mag, 338Rules, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 15 invisible), 1,306 guests, and 841 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,466
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.