-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have the Drop Away Rest on both my hunting compounds and it is the Ripcord Code Red and I have yet to find a better rest for hunting

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Patience with those who have not come around to this yet.

I was one of them, in a huge way. I defied the suggestions of everyone and " I knew better". It was humbling for me to make the change.

That period of being humbled was shorter lived then the long term advantages of the change.

Looking back, well..... I learned to open my mind to some of the new things. Give them a try, evaluate the facts myself.

I'm much better for this now!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
This wasn't on my bow. It's happened to clients I was guiding. They used a bunch of different drop aways. I'm sure the qad is just fine, but there isn't a damned thing wrong with a WB. Simple works.

If the WB works for you that's great. But the QAD is a great rest that does away with all the problems you described. Arrow isn't coming off the rest, you can draw and let down, then draw again without resetting the rest. Tunes easy and precisely, it's tough. I've been shooting and hunting with one for three years and just can't find anything to complain about. And I'm pretty critical and demanding. If you ever decide to change rest give the QAD a real hard look.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have the QAD and WB. WB work fine just tear up my fletching. WB's are great for tree stand hunting though

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
No elk, but I'll drop this off to ponder... 2016 shafts, Black Diamond 2 blade Eskimo 110 grain, draw of 40 pounds or maybe just a bit over, anyway somewhere there 40-45 pounds.

Round wheel bow from the 90s, Hoyt of some type IIRC.

Wife shot a LARGE pig... 2.5 or 3 inch shields, not counting fat and skin and hair layers. Shot him in the heart at 15 or so steps. He just looked up and went back to eating for a bit.

When we found him later, the broadhead was sticking out the hide/hair on the other side. About 1 inch or so.

Not much energy on that bow. It would blow through deer even with expandables for my wife.

The clue here was cut on contact well penetrating sharp head.

Edit to add, wife under 5 feet tall, draw is short, I dont' remember how short, but short to boot so not much of a long power stroke either.

Oh yeah, most important part... scale we had only went 350 pounds. The pig bottomed the scale so not sure what he weighed.

Last edited by rost495; 08/04/15.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
With the specs in the OP you should be getting 260-265 or so fps with any good modern bow. I shot a 389gr arrow from a 60lb bow at 284fps last year. That was @ 29" so there's a big chunk of the difference there, but still... If you can swing a better bow it'll help you quite a bit. Otherwise, Use a razor sharp cut-on-contact head and rock on.

RLTW
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
KE doesn't kill deer sharp board heads in right place do.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This wasn't on my bow. It's happened to clients I was guiding. They used a bunch of different drop aways. I'm sure the qad is just fine, but there isn't a damned thing wrong with a WB. Simple works.

WB's may be good enough (I too used them for years), but wary game will hear you draw an arrow across them. This is a fact...period. I won't go down any rabbit trails about any other problems with them, and if your game isn't that wary (like they aren't in a lot of places) they'll work.

They don't work for us.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
IMHO kinetic energy is BS anyway. A 1000 grn fiberglass arrow at 110fps has 26 lbs of kinetic energy and will push a conical harpoon point completely through a 200lb alligator gar (which will get nothing but sparks from an axe). It's momentum that does the trick.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are some tricks of the trade to quiet down the arrow being drawn across a Whisker Biscuit. I personally use car/automobile wax on my carbon arrows and it makes them pretty slick. Lots of ways to skin a cat. Tom

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Some arrows seem to make more noise than others through a WB. The Beemans I currently use are quiet.

I'm certainly up for trying the QAD, one of these days. Sounds like it works fine. But I'm in no hurry. What I have works on the game I have any interest in killing with a bow.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I personally have nothing against the Whisker Biscuit and used this rest for a while, but switched to the Code Red because my Bow shot much better groups with this drop away rest. Another rest I used for a while was the Muzzy Drop away or I should say push away and it also worked great. Just use what works for you, because they all work if tuned right.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What I have works on the game I have any interest in killing with a bow.

That's all that matters. Not everybody's needs are the same.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by TomA
There are some tricks of the trade to quiet down the arrow being drawn across a Whisker Biscuit. I personally use car/automobile wax on my carbon arrows and it makes them pretty slick. Lots of ways to skin a cat. Tom

Lots of folks looked at me weird... been waxing shafts since the 80s. Won't wax the last bit by the fletch so I can see exactly what the arrow went through, but waxing sure helps quiet them down on draw, and then in the day, way before WBs and other stuff, the button and flipper got moleskin on them. Had precut from Dr Schols package, and had to replace often during season if shooting a lot.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Most people don't hunt animals that spook from your stomach growling 40 yards away.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Bare plunger and bare flipper with AL shafts is what I found on a buddy that invited me to his lair in CO for elk/muleys years ago.

Found out at that time, it didn't bother them a bit.

And they would stand still at long ranges and watch the arrow fly until it hit them.

I was totally amazed....

Dont' work down here for sure...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

482 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 44 invisible), 2,598 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,398
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.