Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Considering one for a LW 7mm-08 that will be my backpack rifle. The eye relief has me a bit concerned for odd position shooting. I really want illum, so they seem like best option for LW.

Anyone have any first hand experience with these? Pros/cons for my application.

Would you go with a duplex or mil dot reticle?

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I had one of the 3-9's on my NULA .30-06 for a while and never had any problem with the eye relief, though I just left it on 6x all the time. The reticle was the mil-dot, which worked fine. I once used the first dot to kill a big mule deer at what would today be considered medium range, 361 yards, using a 180-grain Norma factory load.

But only the center of the mil-dot or the plex reticle is illuminated, with a relatively small dot. For conditions where you really need the illuminated reticle I prefer Trijiocon's tipped post, which shows up better when aiming in dim light.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks John. You had had it on for a while. Why did you take it off? What did you replace it with? Do you feel like you have up anything by doing it? What did you gain?

Just trying to get some insight. I'll prob only get once chance at a dream hunt, so if like to have the optimum set up.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I replaced it with a 6x36 Leupold with LR Duplex reticle, to save a little weight. Didn't feel i was giving anything up, because the tiny illuminated dot in the middle of the Trijicon's mil-dot reticle had never come into play in the field, and I'd never changed the magnification off 6x.

There are a lot 6x scopes on my rifles, because I've had too many variables break down during hunts. So far I haven't yearned for more magnification when big game hunting.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Good deal. Thanks again. Have you had current production variables bite it, or were they mostly older?

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
At last count I'd had variables of 16 different brands (not models) go wonky, mostly made in the past decade. There are some tough variables, and I have some, but the older I get the less weight I like to pack uphill, whether it's on me, in my pack, or attached to my rifles.

John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Fair enough. With the deal I found on the Trijicon, I think I'll try it out and see how it works locally for a bit. If it doens't work out, I'll try out another.

Thanks for the input.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Any particular reason to choose the Trijicon instead of a Leupy Mark AR? If you compare both in 3-9x40, they are very close to the same weight, and the illuminated TMR reticle in the Leupold gives you the same features. You also get turrets on the Leupold, eye relief is excellent, and it's half the cost or less. Is the Accupoint that much better somehow?

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Main reason was because I got it for $390 OTD and I've been wanting to try one. The turrets on the Mark AR are a bit mushy as well. I think they would easily be knocked off zero if bumped while carrying and dialing would not be easy with gloves.

I liked the covered turrets on the Trijicon and the turrets under them are MUCH better than the Leupy ones. I also like the idea of not having batteries or a button to push for illum.

The glass and overall quality of the Trijicon are also much better than the Mark AR IMO. When you combine all of that and only about slightly more than the Leupy OTD price, it was a no brainer for me.

With all that said, I'll likely try a Mark AR with TMR at some point for a different application.

Last edited by tarheelpwr; 08/26/15.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
A couple points - the Mark AR turrets are very easy to adjust with gloves. You are right that they can get bumped though; if anything the knurling on the cap is too aggressive.

It also doesn't require any button pushing for illumination. It's on a motion sensor, you pick up the rifle and the illumination turns on. Shuts off after 5 minutes of no motion. You can use the button to change brightness or turn it off, but don't have to.

SWFA lists that Accupoint for over $800. $400 seems a lot more reasonable, and worth trying it.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Tarheelpwr,

Can you tell us where you picked up the Trijicon for $390? I would like to get one at that price if they are still available.

Dan

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
Tarheelpwr,

Can you tell us where you picked up the Trijicon for $390? I would like to get one at that price if they are still available.

Dan

It was at my local Cabela's. I got the extra discount because I took the last one and it did not have a box and I had a $20 off $150. Sales prices was $430 before those two. It's being sent in to Trijicon right now to look over and verify everything is fine.

Might be worth checking in. The sales guy told me the $430 price was good till next month. The CS lady that rang me up gave me an odd look when I told her that though.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
That's a smokin' deal. I have three Accupoints in 3-9 and one 1-4. My wife and I much prefer them to Leupold's 2.5-8. Of course these days they are twice the cost new so they should be better. They are more compact than most 3-9s and we have both used the illuminated dot to great advantage in low light (but legal) shooting conditions. For a light weight rig, I think it's a great choice.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by bludog
That's a smokin' deal. I have three Accupoints in 3-9 and one 1-4. My wife and I much prefer them to Leupold's 2.5-8. Of course these days they are twice the cost new so they should be better. They are more compact than most 3-9s and we have both used the illuminated dot to great advantage in low light (but legal) shooting conditions. For a light weight rig, I think it's a great choice.

Agreed. MY only concern was the eye relief. But, playing with it in the parking lot, I really did not notice a huge variance. I'll see once I get it mounted up. 7mm-08 won't kick too bad either way, even in a 6.5# package.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Yondering
A couple points - the Mark AR turrets are very easy to adjust with gloves. You are right that they can get bumped though; if anything the knurling on the cap is too aggressive.

It also doesn't require any button pushing for illumination. It's on a motion sensor, you pick up the rifle and the illumination turns on. Shuts off after 5 minutes of no motion. You can use the button to change brightness or turn it off, but don't have to.

SWFA lists that Accupoint for over $800. $400 seems a lot more reasonable, and worth trying it.

That's good info to know. I plan on trying one out at some point.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by tarheelpwr

Agreed. MY only concern was the eye relief. But, playing with it in the parking lot, I really did not notice a huge variance. I'll see once I get it mounted up. 7mm-08 won't kick too bad either way, even in a 6.5# package.

I have one mounted on an X-Bolt 7wsm at 7.5# scoped and have had no issues with eye relief.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by bludog
Originally Posted by tarheelpwr

I have one mounted on an X-Bolt 7wsm at 7.5# scoped and have had no issues with eye relief.

Thanks. That should be semi close to a 6.5# 7-08. Waiting in the scope to get checked out by Trijicon and wood stock to get bedded.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (2003and2013, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 59 invisible), 2,503 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,145
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.