24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The way I look at it is I am going to be able to load up on great companies at bargain prices. The market goes up more than it declines.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
BP-B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Unless you caught a case of stupid and sold, you didn't lose any dollars. Not is the time to buy a little on the way down and a little on the way up in a couple of weeks.

This has not been a broad based sell. The DOW is just 30 stocks out of several thousand.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Buy and hold..

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Or just HOLD!

Because everything I have is in 401...just today I setup a play money account to indeed buy on the way back up. Wished I had done so back in the early 2000's.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
No, no, no . . . didn't sell anything. Looking to buy selectively when all the turmoil eases. Looking closely at UCO.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
IC B2

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
So, there is no game changer on the horizon like Obama Caresnot in 2016? Our markets arent like Rome and can survive anything?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Like a kid in a candy store this morning smile

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Went from a $60,000 loss on paper now to only a $15,000 loss and declining. Just have to hang in there.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'm tired of listening to folks proclaim their losses when they've not cashed in.... gets really old... Thank God my BIL retired and cashed in.... he lost and gained more over 20 plus years and never touched or even knew how to touch his funds.....whiney bastard he always is.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
I think I'm still down a bit form April. I'm doing much better now that I started investing on my own. I was in a bunch of loaded Franklin funds and they are very lethargic funds. I took them to Fidelity and bought all non load funds and they are doing much better. The Franklin funds were not "bad " funds but there are so many funds you can buy through Fidelity it is unreal. I study new funds and started adding money 6 weeks ago. A bit late but doing good. I also put in $1,700 in A biotech and 2k in a health fund last week, . They did very good today . I was not late on buying those so I jumped in just in time. Healthcare and biotech funds were down cause Hillary started running her mouth about drug profits. Still a good time to buy though. I still have a bit more to put in but dont know what now that stocks are getting kind pif high. Might see a slight correction soon . Seems I find there is always something that is down for no reason. I might go with AGNC this week. It is a REIT. Think this is a good idea. Pays 13% dividends and the value should go up soon even if interest goes up a bit. They never missed a dividend payment in 8 yrs. Anyone buy REIT's?

Last edited by ihookem; 11/02/15.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm up about 2% this year, mostly in bonds since stocks seem pricey based on earnings growth. Hard to buy stocks with a 20 PE ratio when your looking at sub 2% growth. Stock market is about flat for the year anyway, and I don't see the upside.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Doing fine. We met with my Fidelity guy this AM to release me a bit from the day to day management. Allocation was agreed. We will see him again tomorrow AM to land on the specifics of each allocation. Fun stuff it is.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
The way I look at it is I am going to be able to load up on great companies at bargain prices. The market goes up more than it declines.

It's a "players/speculators" market.
because of them, stocks go "up and down" for no "rhyme or reason"
The Mrs. took 6 months to make about 40k and gave most of that and then some back in a few "bad" weeks... Is s l o w l y making a comeback after the sell-off... (Vanguard mutual funds thru Fidelity) (paper profit - paper loss ...unless you take profits off the table and don't get too greedy)

In my opinion get just a few "eggs" in your basket...and then watch 'em like a hawk ! If you get a sizeable profit...then take it "off the table" cause you know the "players/speculators are going to do it...causing your eggs to plummet in value... You have to think like they do.

Of course you need to do this with a great "Charting service" like StockChartsdotcom... Diversifying is for fools. Pick one or two stocks or mutual funds (no load) then watching your Daily/Weekly/Monthly Stochastics - Buy the troughs and Sell the peaks.
And "listen" to the news. When the "experts" are saying "BUY"...you had better be looking for the Exit !
And sometimes when you don't know - sitting in "cash" is not a bad aaaalternative.
And when a stock or index is just screaming at you "it can't go any higher"...you're probably right...it won't !
And don't be buying stocks on their way down... cause if you think they can't go any lower... They will !

Good investing boys and girls, may all your 401k's grow to Super Lotto size!

It was Jerry "Mad Dog" Shriver (SFC E-7)who said:
"No, no, I've got them right where I want them -- surrounded from the inside."

http://www.macvsog.cc/1969.htm
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Diversifying is for fools.

most of the time he is spot on. Not this time.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Read the "Lies about Money" by Ric Edelman. It makes a lot of sense in putting money, diversifying and leaving it there, maybe rebalancing every now and then. According to him, most of the market biggest jumps are over short periods of time, and you never know which and when.

I have just started to save more more retirement, as med school and training salaries don't allow for much wiggle room, so a lot of these readings and research is fresh in my mind. I just need to know how to divert funds to other investment options once my 403(b) is maxed out.

Boggleheads forums is a good site.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Apparent growth is eaten up by inflation in the long run. It's all smoke and mirrors. Only insiders enjoy consistent gains in the market.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Apparent growth is eaten up by inflation in the long run. It's all smoke and mirrors. Only insiders enjoy consistent gains in the market.

another statement that just isn't true, the marketS are a big place.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Only insiders enjoy consistent gains in the market.

would you believe i have had dinner several times at the petroleum club in dallas? The hunt brothers were sitting at the table next to me.
I wonder if that makes me an insider? Maybe a little one?

Last edited by RoninPhx; 11/03/15.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
I'm tired of listening to folks proclaim their losses when they've not cashed in.... gets really old... Thank God my BIL retired and cashed in.... he lost and gained more over 20 plus years and never touched or even knew how to touch his funds.....whiney bastard he always is.

Attention whores love hollering about losses. Just trying to let everyone know they have a little money.
People who have been successful long term and actually have money know the risks and don't do this when things take a bad turn, as they inevitably do.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
Originally Posted by rost495

Attention whores love hollering about losses. Just trying to let everyone know they have a little money.
People who have been successful long term and actually have money know the risks and don't do this when things take a bad turn, as they inevitably do.

Amen. (and spot on)

John

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
699 members (160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 72 invisible), 2,801 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,825
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.