-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The danger in the future is with the ongoing development of anti missile technology. When the balance of MAD goes, the risks will greatly increase...

In the Cold War, there were those in the American military that seriously thought a *limited* nuclear war could be fought in Europe using only short range/tactical nukes...Hopefully the advent ATM won't result in a return to such ideas...

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Pete E
The danger in the future is with the ongoing development of anti missile technology. When the balance of MAD goes, the risks will greatly increase...

In the Cold War, there were those in the American military that seriously thought a *limited* nuclear war could be fought in Europe using only short range/tactical nukes...Hopefully the advent ATM won't result in a return to such ideas...
Pete, I don't fear that particular aspect much. I believe Neutron Bombs were outlawed, meaning that any sane world leader is going to know that any strike of significance is going to render the whole world if not uninhabitable, then significantly less habitable.

The thing that is more worrisome nuke-wise are insane terrorists. But what is more so to me, are the possibility of the development of some doomsday biological or chemical weapon that an antidote exists for. Imagine the glee of some assclown with access to such a thing who decides to vaccinate who he wants and then unleash it on a country (us) or the world. It's only a matter of time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No need for nukes, just turn of the electricity and it's done....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Putin won't do it.
He'd have to put his shirt on.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Is America at risk of nuclear annihilation?

I'd say America is more at risk for total and dismal collapse from the 'inside'.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 16bore
No need for nukes, just turn of the electricity and it's done....
My Grandpa didn't have electric 'til the fifties. I could probably do without it if I had to. I don't think an EMP event would be the doomsday everybody thinks it would be. The biggest risk would be from the government itself or another government following up by coming in and trying to take over. They would do well to heed the admonition of the Japanese Admiral speaking of why they didn't invade after Pearl Harbor.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The world knew how to thrive without electricity in the fifties. That collective knowledge is gone now. A big power outage would be absolute chaos for months nowadays. Though people could survive, they won't because they would choose not to.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
well, just let me share that it's unlikely the world needs 7 billion people and increasing as we speak.

a die-off rom nacular bombs, disease, or other factors would reduce the breeding population for sure.

but, we know we don't have to have electric lights, water well pumps, or even paved roads. none of that is essential for the survivors who might be left after such an insane exchange of modern weaponry.

in the post-modern era, just getting a breeding population into the next day, month, season, year will be quite enough.

and who's to say we won't be better for it?

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Wifey and I have talked about an EMP event. She realizes since she does not live in a Faraday cage she is toast. DRT.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,390 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,320
Posts18,468,438
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.