-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rocky, it is my humble opinion that the phrase "sensible gun control" is a) an oxymoron, b) a feel good phrase used to cloak a nasty agenda and c) an important tool of the Left.

The only gun control that makes sense in that version that leads to a satisfactory conclusion; to wit:

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think someone once said sure I am for gun control as long as I am the one controlling the gun. (Clint Eastwood maybe) I don't recall just who.
But that would tie in with the second amendment. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MILES58

It used to be possible to involuntarily commit them to treatment until 1980. Because that power was too often abused, and because it was expensive, we abolished it. Today, trying to reinstate that would be very nearly impossible. However, there does have to be some accountability back to the people who live and work with the people in need of treatment. We're going to have to settle for a combination of limited involuntary commitment with the increased responsibility of those professionals.

Miles and others,

I've been trying to follow as many of the "conversations" here on the 'fire re: the recent events in OR. I'm not sure I've seen/read every one. I am pretty sure I've not seen mention of the "accountability" of the mother of the perpetrator. Where is she, was she at home the morning if the event? Is she in custody? Is she on vacation?

Something has really bothered me since I first saw in various news reports interviewing their neighbors down in CA and mention of the two of them apparently liking "target shooting". Realizing I do not have a complete evaluation of the young man, it does seem strange to me that a mother who has been quoted as saying to the neighbors that her son has "mental issues" would allow said son to have access to firearms. Perhaps she just gave in to one of his tantrums the neighbors reported? Perhaps it is a question of her not having the resources to deal with her son? I can see that as a possibility with the cost of today's healthcare. I'm not absolving her of her responsibilty though; if that is the case she should have relinquished her "rights' to have firearms around that he could access.

As to the "responsibility of those professionals", perhaps many of them are avoiding increased responsibilty due to our litigious society? Recommend taking a person off the street and get sued by family or rights groups saying you're not being fair to the disabled, or recommend staying on the street with a note as to the possible danger and getting sued by any victims. Not the shoes I'd want to be in.

Sad situation all around.

Geno

I still wish I knew where mom was at the time.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
I don't believe this virgin stuff. The guy lived with his mother in a one-bedroom apartment.

Zing! laugh

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In light of 2A and Heller, I do not see a way short of amendment to produce defensible restriction.

It doesn't take anything like an amendment. Just one Democrat President that gets to replace one conservative justice on the Supreme Court so they can undo Heller.

Or a Trump that nominates a liberal.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Calhoun
In light of 2A and Heller, I do not see a way short of amendment to produce defensible restriction.

It doesn't take anything like an amendment. Just one Democrat President that gets to replace one conservative justice on the Supreme Court so they can undo Heller.

Or a Trump that nominates a liberal.
Dems are all for stare decisis when it means their pet rulings should never be altered or reversed, but they'd gladly toss that legal principle out the window to reverse Heller.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by RS308MX
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by 700LH
Maybe it's just me but IMO, sensible is what the constitution says, "shall not be infringed."

No it's not just you.

Not by a long shot!!
Not by a million miles..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

717 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 70 invisible), 3,413 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,354
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.