Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
S99VG Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
In this thread affordable is desirable, I just think that (outside the occasional fluke) there are certain models of the 99 you don't find people paying a premium for. Say like a prewar 99G vs a 60s vintage 99E. They both work just as well for hunting but you damn well know that the E will never command the same asking price. The Edsel was a car that was as good as any other car but it didn't sell. I guess I'm looking for specific rifles and characteristics qualify as the Ford Edsels of the 99 world.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

BP-B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Yes, but it was the atrocious styling of the Edsel that killed it. Quality and drive-ability was never an issue.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
S99VG Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
That is my point and the reason for the analogy. One could say that it's the atrocious styling of the 99E that keeps it down in price. Other than that it is just as "drivable" as any other 99, including the highly vaunted engraved models from the rifle's early years. This is an exercise to identify such 99s so as to allow a new guy something to look for to get into the game with a reasonable price. Or something for any of us to look for who have to get by on a working man's wages.

Last edited by S99VG; 10/19/15.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by SAcharlie

Don't for 1 minute think it was the EG's fault. BTW ya didn't say if that R made you a better shot.laugh

Now that you mention it, maybe the R did just that! I got smaller groups with it anyhow, so maybe I learned something. Well under an inch with 125gr Sierra Pro Hunters is best so far, I plan on trying a varmint bullet in it and getting more of the same. I actually sold the rifle to a friend who already had 2 of them, and he sold it back without ever shooting it himself. We all could stand some friends like this.

Bore, n. Shotgun enthusiast's synonym for "gauge" ; everybody else's synonym for "shotgun enthusiast." - Ed Zern
S
S99VG Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
So following some of the things mentioned in this thread I noticed last night that one of the online auctions has a 99E in .300 languishing at 300-bucks with a BIN of only 375. It is an E, has hardwood pressed checkered stocks and looks really clean. A good starter 99? My apologies for posting a live auction but at least I didn't identify the web sight.

Last edited by S99VG; 11/08/15.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you have ever taken the butt stock off newer 99's or better yet shake one you can see and hear the difference to pre mil 99's. You can keep the gold triggers and tang safety 99's. Tom

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Tom I was out with the 250 R this last couple days and noticed with 5 in the magazine and one in the chamber the darn thing rattled. I've had that happen in the past and the solution was to remove one from the magazine. Didn't try it on the 250 R.

As a side note, my buddies 300 R had the lever stick halfway open after he got his buck on Thursday. So the pre-mils have their issues once in a while too I guess.

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree, any individual rifle may have issues but in general the workmanship just isn't what it used to be. Just my personal preference. There are exceptions, Tom.

S
S99VG Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
TomA - the original point of this thread was to discuss 99s with least desirable characteristics so as to identify potential bargains for new guys. This 99 seemed to fit that bill. I have an even crapier looking 99E in .308 that will still kill game as good as anything else. While we all know the fault of these rifles I do think a meaningful discussion on them as entry level firearms is something well worth doing. And, as in everything else, "caveat emptor." Or at least check the damn thing out before you put your money down.

Last edited by S99VG; 11/08/15.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One of the better features removed from most post mil 99's was the ability to have a round in the barrel with the firing pin uncocked. I have always liked that feature while carrying a 99 and from a safety stand point made sense. I believe many folks do not even know this feature exists. If we are talking about hunting rifles I just prefer the old style. I own several post mil 99's but after taking a few apart I have sent some down the road. The top tang safety on some seemed to move as much sideways as it did forward and back.

I shot my first elk with a 99E in 300 Savage and for carrying in Colorado it worked great. They all can be tools but they all ain't safe queens. Tom

IC B3

S
S99VG Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Yes, they can't all be safe queens. So I guess there's no harm in using post mils for their intended purpose. I knew you could slip the trigger out of battery on the old lever safety 99s and heard it couldn't be done with the newer thumb safeties. I don't have a thumb safety 99, not that I wouldn't pass the right one up. Thanks much for your perspective.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by S99VG
I knew you could slip the trigger out of battery on the old lever safety 99s and heard it couldn't be done with the newer thumb safeties.

Sorry if I'm repeating myself on this thread, but I have two tang safety 99's that slip close. A .375 and a early post mil cut checkered 243 99F. Work exactly as the pre-mils did.

As for the right tang safety to get you fired up, how about a 1964 cut checkered 284? (Minus the see-thru's of course!)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mohawk
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I don't understand it but I hated the 300 R and really like the feel of the 250. Extra weight on the barrel I guess. Sure is a shooter.

I'm so glad you didn't like your .300 R. The one you sold me is a shooter. First group at 100 yards with an old El Paso Weaver 4x and factory 150 grain corelokts was .68" for 5 shots. Unbelievable accuracy! All I did was shim the front base to fix alignment.

The .300 R has become desirable to me!

That makes me happy. It was in super shape so I would expect it to be a shooter.

LOL
S
S99VG Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm not a big fan of see-thru's, unless they happen to be on a female frame. Nice .284!

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Roy, I have four 99 CE's and one will slip close. Why 1 out of 4, poor manufacturing I would guess? Tom

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The obstruction to slip closing the tang safety guns is the lever itself. I have seen guns where the lever was ground away enough to allow slip closing. I suppose it's possible that there is enough variation in tolerances that some levers are shy in the area that catches and they squeak by.

I am no longer accepting orders for the Lightfoot scope mount.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And that's the key to making a tang safety rifle a "slip close" rifle. You've got to break it down and remove some metal on the outside of the curve of the lever. Works like a charm if you're willing to experiment and perhaps devalue your rifle.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
733 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,969 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,763
Posts18,401,397
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.