Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I am looking for a new black light for night fishing. I have never used the new led lights. And I was wondering if they even make them that plug strait into your boat like the old Stan Sloan lights did. I'm not a big fan of the suction cup type that plug into a cigarette lighter. What are you guys using?

Last edited by seal_billy; 10/06/15.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
GB2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can't help with a recommendation, but was just wondering how you use a black light for fishing? Not come across anyone using one for fishing over here..

regards,

Peter

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Most bass fishermen use them to fish at night in the clear highland lakes here in Texas. Fishing for bass at night is somewhat popular here especially surrounding the full moon in June, July, and August. powdr

Last edited by powdr; 10/06/15.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by powdr
Most bass fishermen use them to fish at night in the clear highland lakes here in Texas. Fishing for bass at night is somewhat popular here especially surrounding the full moon in June, July, and August. powdr

Exactly. We use them not to illuminate the bank although some lights do shine just barely enuff to see the outline of the bank from your boat. But they shine away from your boat over the water and make florescent line glow like a neon sign. That way you can watch your line for bites and see better what your lure is doing by what your like is doing.

Many of our lakes are deep and clear and very tough during daytime but take on a different personality at night. We fish at night all the way through October for smallmouth. I fished the last 3 nights and done very well except last night, only 1 largemouth but I didn't have to measure it and only fished for about an hour. It's October and it was warm enuff to fish without a shirt. Crazy weather! I can very much understand why you Texas boys fish at night, with the heat y'all get.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks gents, when "black lights" were mentioned, I thought you were talking about some sort of UV spotlight that was invisible to the eye...

I was out the other evening dead baiting for pike and my rod tip kept showing "knocks" as if something was hitting the bait and dropping it..

I turned up the lights a little so I could see better and it was actually bats skimming over the water and hitting my line!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ha Ha Pete, I had that exact thing happen except the line pulling was from a Crocodile swimming by and hitting the line!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Pete E
Thanks gents, when "black lights" were mentioned, I thought you were talking about some sort of UV spotlight that was invisible to the eye...

I was out the other evening dead baiting for pike and my rod tip kept showing "knocks" as if something was hitting the bait and dropping it..

I turned up the lights a little so I could see better and it was actually bats skimming over the water and hitting my line!

I'm with you Pete, sounded like some kind of UV light. I'm still not certain what their talking about. Would like to know as I fish a lot at night during the summer heat.

As for the bats, yes they sometimes hit the line.

Last edited by websterparish47; 10/08/15.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
You guys know what a black light is I'm sure. You know the florescent lights that have the purple bulb and it makes anything white colored glow.

They make them to mount on your boat and it makes your florescent line glow so you can see it. Makes night fishing more enjoyable by a wide margin.

I guess it's a regional thing. Kentucky, Virginia, Tennessee and apparently Texas anglers too it's a common practice.

I bet you guys have never fished for crappie at night under submerged lights either. Mucho fun.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Never noticed them for sale around here. I've been fishing for crappie at night with underwater light the past month. They ain't biting.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I have been on vacation for 2 weeks and ment to fish crappie at night but have been busy chasing big blue gills in the day, bass fishing after dark and getting to know several new bodies of water. The crappie fishing doesn't usually turn back on till it frosts at night, but the smallmouth start bitting at night then too and I just can't bring myself to fish for something else. Either way I need a new black light and I guess I will just buy one and see.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
They use them down here, too. Mounted to the back of the boat backed up around the saltwater bridges where the big boys roam.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
754 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 75 invisible), 2,956 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,716
Posts18,400,390
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.