-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
OP Offline
C
I have narrowed my choices down for my next bow to be a recurve or longbow due to the fact that they are easier to maintain and simpler. I ordered a longbow of ebay and i will do the same for the recurve soon to see what feels better before i spend some good money. If each bow was the same exact size and draw #, would there be a differnce in power. And which bow do u prefer?

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The distinction between recurves and modern longbows has become very subtle. To be a longbow by definition the string can only touch the bow at the nocks when the bow is strung. When unstrung, a deflex-reflex longbow is almost indistinguishable from a recurve.

The performance of each bow is determined by the skills of the man who made it.

There are good and not-so-good performers in both categories so it's really not possible to answer your question without the specifics of each one. Draw weight is only one factor in performance. Two bows of the same length and draw weight could perform dramatically different depending on the design.

I hunt with a longbow most of the time.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I prefer the Longbow.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
There are nearly an infinite number of variables in your decision. Go somewhere on the web like tradgang or the letherwall and connect to a group in your area. You need to attend some shoots where you have a chance to see and shoot a lot of different bows.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I enjoy shooting a longbow more than a recurve and have spent many years trying to master it. With many more arrows shot from a longbow than a recurve, I still shoot a recurve better. I started building my own longbows years ago and was determined to build and shoot the more traditionally styled longbows. I finally acknowledged that style of bow is really not for me and developed a “hybrid” bow which is approaching a recurve in design. I think for me, the recurve style grip works better than the straight grip of a longbow and I’ve tried to duplicate that in a slimmer/trimmer bow. Performance wise, my hybrid bow outperforms the factory recurves that I own and is probably what I’ll shoot from now on.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Another showing unstrung limb profile:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by JGray; 10/09/15.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like longbows but shoot recurves better also. Great looking longbow - difficult to match the grace of a nice r/d longbow.

But, I think you will find that the recurve is a bit further along the evolutionary trail than the longbow. Things that a typical recurve will provide over a similar longbow are a pistol type grip. This type grip is typically easier to set your hand consistently. The recurve will be faster due to design. Recurves are typically a bit heavier and more stable in hand with less hand shock. Limb stability (in theory) should go to the longbow but modern designs are very stable from both.

As was mentioned above the lines have been blurred between the two with longbows like the Fox Triple Crown but if your comparing apples to apples (like price point bows) the recurve is usually a slightly better performer.

If you are new to traditional I suggest you spend $20 and get a book called "Shooting the Stickbow" ASAP.

If you want a nice recurve (or two) for a good price, send me a pm and I'll send you some pics of what I have.

Last edited by centershot; 10/09/15.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I prefer a recurve.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've killed many with both. When I first lost the training wheels I went through a dozen+ bows. I could shoot them all (to some degree) and killed with more than a couple. If you come over to the dark side you will likely do the same until you find "the one" that becomes your go to. Even then, you'll likely keep shooting different bows just for fun. The biggest thing is to start off with light poundage. 45# max and preferably 40#. Heavy bows for a beginner = bad form and habits.

I've settled on this Shaffer Silvertip @ 54# for 95% of my hunting, but still, I do take a longbow out once in a while.

[Linked Image]

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
B
B
I got my first recurve at 7, and shot them until a friend let me shoot a straight handled Hill style longbow in my early 30's.

For some reason i shoot longbows considerably better than recurves, especially straight handled bows that force me to shoot with the heel of my hand down.

But as in most things in life, you may have to experiment a bit to see what really is a fit for you.

Longbows, single shot rifles, fly rods: Life is good.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by JGray
I enjoy shooting a longbow more than a recurve and have spent many years trying to master it. With many more arrows shot from a longbow than a recurve, I still shoot a recurve better. I started building my own longbows years ago and was determined to build and shoot the more traditionally styled longbows. I finally acknowledged that style of bow is really not for me and developed a “hybrid” bow which is approaching a recurve in design. I think for me, the recurve style grip works better than the straight grip of a longbow and I’ve tried to duplicate that in a slimmer/trimmer bow. Performance wise, my hybrid bow outperforms the factory recurves that I own and is probably what I’ll shoot from now on.

Very nice I'll take two

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Very nice, I'll take two
[Linked Image]

Another showing unstrung limb profile:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Ziggy; 10/13/15.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I sold off my 70's vintage 50# Bear takedown a couple of years ago. This year I decided to get back in and after a lot of browsing settled on a 64" 40# Samick takedown recurve. I wanted a 45#, but they were out of stock. Lucky for me, as the 40 is just about perfect, allowing me to concentrate on my form instead of fighting the weight. When I'm ready to step up in weight, new limbs are only about $80. I'm amazed at how nice this $140 bow shoots and looks. I did spring for a couple of FastFlight Flemish twist strings and Gold Tip traditional carbons that look just like wood.

If you're not sure which way to go, $140 ain't much to spend to help you figure it out. The arrows can migrate to another bow if you decide the recurve's not for you.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've always shot recurves since the 1950's. Longbows have never appealed to me ..just not enough to love.[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't like gripping a long bow grip. I shoot with an open bow hand.....recurve grips 4 me please. I was explained years ago recurs have smoother and less stacking than the long bow. However I think it is the grip that is basically the difference.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cowboysforlife34
I have narrowed my choices down for my next bow to be a recurve or longbow due to the fact that they are easier to maintain and simpler. I ordered a longbow of ebay and i will do the same for the recurve soon to see what feels better before i spend some good money. If each bow was the same exact size and draw #, would there be a differnce in power. And which bow do u prefer?

I'm about to put a very good custom, takedown recurve with an extra set of limbs plus all accessories in the classifieds. Very good quality, very good condition and everything you need to not only get started but be at full speed. Arrows are brand new carbons and feather fletched.

I may get all with pic's in Classifieds today.

PM me if interested.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

314 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 264mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 2five7, 39 invisible), 2,674 guests, and 1,073 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,609
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.