GB1

R
RGK Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
I have long been a fan of the J frame. They definitely have some drawbacks, as they are not easy to shoot well, sights are abysmal, and slow to reload.

With that said, they are very easy to carry and conceal. Every day at work I run one in the front pocket of my non dominant (left)side. One reason for this is if I am struggling to maintain control of my primary handgun, I can deploy the J frame from the off side and end the weapon retention struggle with a close quarters shot.

I "semi-jokingly" call it my ear nose throat gun, because those are the places I will try to stick it into prior to pulling the trigger.

I have practiced this (dry firing) while doing ground fighting and grappling, and I have found this method easier to retrieve the J frame than other methods such as attached to a ballistic vest.

Another reason for the off side carry is that when an unknown threat/threats approach me and I do not know their intent, I can slide my left hand into my pocket, and acquire a full firing grip. I keep my hand in my pocket until I determine that they are not a threat.

This not only gives an element of surprise, but prevents people from freaking out, versus having a full firing grip on my duty gun that is visible.

More often than not, the person approaching is not fully committed to an attack and does not require a gun being pointed at them, after receiving verbal commands, and being informed of consequences of further actions.

For these reasons, I really like the J frame and will continue to carry one as my second gun that is carried off side.

CHEERS

Exactly what I did in patrol. My J-frame rode in a pocket holster on my weak side, for the same reasons you mentioned. Your primary hand must be able to protect and retain your weapon; the weak hand (now called "support hand") had immediate access to the back-up gun.

I carried my little gun in a Mika holster, which was sold at the academy store. There are versions for front and rear pocket. They mask the gun's outline and keep it from moving around in your pocket.
Bob

Mika holster for the front pocket is on the left [Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ruger Rimfires...

[Linked Image]

Tore-ass Titanium and a couple K frames..

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by shrapnel
[Linked Image]

Nice, but not what I'd want for a full on [bleep] out.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

So all you have are guns that are designed for a full on [bleep] out?

No Glock works this fast...

Last edited by shrapnel; 10/15/15.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I bet I could hit 8 targets faster than he could.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I bet I could hit 8 targets faster than he could.

I bet I could even beat you on 10 targets, and my dad can beat up your dad...

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Like it!!...a lot!

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by RGK
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
I have long been a fan of the J frame. They definitely have some drawbacks, as they are not easy to shoot well, sights are abysmal, and slow to reload.

With that said, they are very easy to carry and conceal. Every day at work I run one in the front pocket of my non dominant (left)side. One reason for this is if I am struggling to maintain control of my primary handgun, I can deploy the J frame from the off side and end the weapon retention struggle with a close quarters shot.

I "semi-jokingly" call it my ear nose throat gun, because those are the places I will try to stick it into prior to pulling the trigger.

I have practiced this (dry firing) while doing ground fighting and grappling, and I have found this method easier to retrieve the J frame than other methods such as attached to a ballistic vest.

Another reason for the off side carry is that when an unknown threat/threats approach me and I do not know their intent, I can slide my left hand into my pocket, and acquire a full firing grip. I keep my hand in my pocket until I determine that they are not a threat.

This not only gives an element of surprise, but prevents people from freaking out, versus having a full firing grip on my duty gun that is visible.

More often than not, the person approaching is not fully committed to an attack and does not require a gun being pointed at them, after receiving verbal commands, and being informed of consequences of further actions.

For these reasons, I really like the J frame and will continue to carry one as my second gun that is carried off side.

CHEERS

Exactly what I did in patrol. My J-frame rode in a pocket holster on my weak side, for the same reasons you mentioned. Your primary hand must be able to protect and retain your weapon; the weak hand (now called "support hand") had immediate access to the back-up gun.

I carried my little gun in a Mika holster, which was sold at the academy store. There are versions for front and rear pocket. They mask the gun's outline and keep it from moving around in your pocket.
Bob

Mika holster for the front pocket is on the left [Linked Image]

Very practical looking setup there Bob.

The funny thing is that at the academy these days, they teach weapon retention, but there is no mention of shooting someone off your gun with a second gun.

Must not be lawyer approved curriculum...

It is Mackay approved though! grin cool

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B3

R
RGK Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
[Linked Image]

What's the story on the bottom one? Love the beveling and hammer.
Bob

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I like ur way a thinkin RGK...ScottyO.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by RGK
[Linked Image]

What's the story on the bottom one? Love the beveling and hammer.
Bob

They are not only very nice rigs, but if you ever saw Scrappy Shrappy run those rigs, you would truly know why he has such disdain for count Glockula--and much of the other modern wares.

I've watched him skip cans with near perfect delivery and coordination--Bob Munden style. Of course his unknown weakness is, that he must first swig down a can of Coca Cola--and then draw and shoot...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 70 invisible), 2,950 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,704
Posts18,456,820
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.