Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
When I spent a couple of years doing a lot of experimenting with a Juenke Internal Concentricity Comparator (which used ultrasopund to determine how well jacketed bullets were balanced around their mechanical center), slight variations in length, weight and ogive were far less important than exactly what the machine measured--bullet balance. If the balance wasn't too off-center, then they shot well. If the balance was off-center, they didn't.

This doesn't mean that variations in exterior bullet dimensions don't make a difference in accuracy. They sure, and make a bigger difference in more accurate rifles, and at longer ranges.

But for most of the varmint shooting most of us do, agonizing about minor differences in ogive is like agonizing over whether the local store has our preferred beer. The end result is so close to the same that it doesn't make any practical difference.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
BP-B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I don't understand.

Are you saying Grain belt, Coors, Fat tire & generic beer are essentially the same if you are a varmint shooter?

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I know this much, I've never opened a case of beer or a box of bullets and started measuring schit!

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
O
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
I concur with most all that- It seems to me if the bullets are .020 different then my efforts to determine ":jamb" and jump were mostly wasted and I in fact don't really know where my ogive is in relation to the rifling ,
so....... where would a guy seat these bullets at?

I thought I had them right up there close- till I found short an long bullets,,,

I,m always learning, even after 20 years of loading

RC

There's never enough time to do it right ,but there's always enough time to do, it over....
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have you shot any yet, or just measured them?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

O
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
I,v shot bunches of them- an narrowed it to 1 specific load combo- that shoots pretty fair-

others are marginal at best- likely from a seating difference?????? I,m just guessing- good bags, good bench habits,, I want a "bug hole"

There's never enough time to do it right ,but there's always enough time to do, it over....
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by MD
When I spent a couple of years doing a lot of experimenting with a Juenke Internal Concentricity Comparator (which used ultrasopund to determine how well jacketed bullets were balanced around their mechanical center), slight variations in length, weight and ogive were far less important than exactly what the machine measured--bullet balance.

So what constitutes 'too much out of balance'?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Non-concentric jackets.

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by obamasucks
I concur with most all that- It seems to me if the bullets are .020 different then my efforts to determine ":jamb" and jump were mostly wasted and I in fact don't really know where my ogive is in relation to the rifling ,
so....... where would a guy seat these bullets at?

Wait... when you seat bullets, the seater stem pushes on the ogive, right? Not the base of the bullet. So your ogive overall length should be pretty consistent, it's the location of the bullet base that should vary. Are you measuring ogive overal length of loaded rounds, or just bullets themselves?

If your ogive overall length varies much, then your bullets must have some variation in nose shape between where you measure the ogive and where the seater stem contacts.

O
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
I measured loaded rounds as I set the stem to double check,
that is what made me measure individual bullets from base to ogive- I got too many different lengths from the same die adjustment- I sent hornady a mail, they returned a ph. # an "please call" asap,,Got home late, I,ll call em an see???
I agree- these bullets aint kosher someplace- its not the end of the world but interesting- why the hell do I have so many measuring thingy's???

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
You're a rifle loony, a not uncommon affliction.

John Steinbeck
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I'm a Hornady 'Ho', too....

I like Hornady's too. I live with the mediocre accuracy I get from them. In the .223 rem, I prefer the 53gr. v-max as well...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
I called hornady, naturally they want what I have left of the box,,,123,,

Guess I,ll send em just for the heck of it- ordered some ttsx,s for the meantime- head shoot n meat deer,,,

O
O
Originally Posted by obamasucks
howdy all,
I been gone a,while but I,m back at the bench- I,m loading some
224 hornady 55-v-max- these bullets vary in length from base to ogive as much as .020-- what the hells going on?
I have a good caliper an good hornady gauges-m my oal kept coming out all over the board as I set my seater (rcbs) good shape tool- how can I expect to load consistant ammo with these?
I have loaded hornady for years but just noticed this with the 223--- Thanks ahead,
WHOA, I think all have lost sight of the question. Don't make crap what the groups, vel ect. The point is you buy a box of bullets they ALL should be of the same size. The rest of the comments are immaterial. If you are happy to load out of a box with different size bullets you should find a different hobby.

O
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
That's what I think- still aint sent em- but the got the
o.k,,,

good shoot n to ya,,

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
If the ogive isn't damaged visually the bullets are good IMO.You have a die or set up issue or wear in your press, again IMO.Load another brand without changing a thing.Then check your results.If it is the bullets you will know.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
761 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 90 invisible), 3,030 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,706
Posts18,400,100
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.