Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Wyo: those pics are THE BEST!!! laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
BP-B2

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
ingwe, many thanks.. From a dog handler like yourself that is nice..

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
While we were heading to another pheasant cover, a covey of huns crossed the road... We got out and gave chase.. I only had some pheasant loads in my pocket 3 1/4 - 1 1/4- 4's.. got a shot and connected.. Kate over ran the bird, and Maggie picked up the scent... Just as she was about to nail it, Kate came in a scooped it up.. But Maggie was hot on the trail...

[Linked Image]

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
How does Kate react when Maggie steals a retrieve?

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
ingwe, many thanks.. From a dog handler like yourself that is nice..

You've got to bear in mind Ive only trained one bird dog...my own Brittany.
Once I turned 'Pro' I trained dogs to find a different kind of bird...a jailbird. grin

But narcotics training was always my fave, and I gotta tell you I learned a TON about dog noses and their capabilities, drive, molecular movement etc.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
Battue, Maggie was on the trail of scent of the bird as it lay on the ground.. The wind was coming right to her, Kate was off looking else where and I wasn't watching her.. She must have spotted the action or heard me encouraging Maggie to get the bird.. All at once she came flying by and picked up the bird..
Maggie didn't seem up set.. She just knew she was smelling something good.. She is a pretty forceful pup.. She gives Kate as good as she gets, considering her size..

ingwe, sounds like you had an interesting career.. When I read you were a dog handler or trainer, I was surprised you did not do more with bird dogs.. That brit was a beautiful dog.. Looks like you had some great memories there..

Molon Labe
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
My Brit was a good dog....that said she was not a 'great' dog. Never lost a bird while I had her.

When she died I got a Border Collie x Aussie...the quintessential Montana cow dog, though working cows was the least of her duties. I was immediately spoiled by the intelligence of the herding breeds.....I loved my Brit, but she rode the short bus to school.

It took six months to effectively teach her right from left, it took six sessions to teach the cow dog....

Goldens are very bright dogs, you are probably spoiled too grin

Last edited by ingwe; 11/20/15.

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
ingwe, I have had 8 goldens.. All were very smart.. Except one I got from a puppy mill..(Didn't realize it at the time) Joy was a lovely dog.. Very loving, but not a serious hunter..She did some good work for me, but nothing like Peach, Kate, and Maggie.. They are all from the same breeder.. Excellent.. Two others Diana, my first and Toby my second were great dogs.. Diana was almost human like in her actions, and Toby believed there wasn't a ringneck alive he couldn't put into the air..
I have come to prefer females for my dogs.. They are our very best friends as you well know..

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
Battue, I was trying to post a pic of Maggie with a ringneck..
I hit it at the top of a hill and it did a long glide and fell dead in short grass.. Maggie was in the truck because we were on a long walk, but the bird flew almost to the truck.. I got Maggie out, and walked off like we were going hunting.. She got the scent of the dead bird from the breeze and homed right in on it.. She couldn't pick it up, it was bigger than she, but she tried dragging it.. It was a cute thing.. I have a pic of her with it, but photobucket lost it three times after I uploaded it.. May try later, but photobucket seems like a waste.. Anyway good hunting..

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Toby is death on cripples. When one of my Pointer friends Birds end up in the nasty, the first thing they call for is Toby.

Toby and Merlot have had a couple contests on just who is going to do the retrieving. I separate them and then give them each a Bird throw while the other has to sit and watch. However, not sure if it will solve the situation.

IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
I think photobucket has my pic.s.. Maybe I can get some posted.. Here is Maggie with the hun she "almost" picked up..

[Linked Image]

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
Finally located my uploads in photo bucket.. Here is the pheasant she found by herself..

[Linked Image]

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good for you and Good for Maggie too!

Great pictures too.

*Master of random precision*
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Lot of places for a Bird to hide. Looks like Maggie is a winner!!!!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
549 members (160user, 222Sako, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 50 invisible), 2,592 guests, and 1,151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,735
Posts18,401,057
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.