-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
At one time you could only get ~15 rd mags for the Storm in 9mm, but I think they finally fixed that problem. I still don't like the molded sight ears, and wish they would just go to a top rail.

I looked hard at pistol caliber carbines for a long time, but have gravitated to an AR in .300 Blackout. You can run it subsonic, or run supers that are hard on the heels of the .30-30.

There is one guy (CNC Gunsmithing) building an AR lower which accepts M2 grease gun .45 mags, which are cheap and plentiful. Pair it with a Oly Arms .45 upper, and you have a real interesting .45 carbine.

I won't say I'll never buy a 9mm carbine, but for now I am covered with what I have.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know why you wouldn't want a 5.56 for indoor self defense. Don't you like it when your ears bleed? smirk

Islam is a terrorist organization.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Metrosexual. I've got $20 says he's had a Latte with Brad in Bozeman in the last week.

Ever notice in the pics that Shrap is dressed a lot like Paddler?

shocked

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by bearstalker

But on the Beretta CX4 Storm, well, it looks like schitt.

Need an MP-5...

DF

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by bearstalker

But on the Beretta CX4 Storm, well, it looks like schitt.

Need an MP-5...

DF

I think the Sig MPX is more, for less. The current shortage of magazine availability is the only thing keeping me from getting one right now.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"I think the Sig MPX is more, for less. The current shortage of magazine availability is the only thing keeping me from getting one right now."

I like the MPX, but after pricing the Mag's (plenty avail. at $80 or $90 each) an AR 9mm starts to look pretty good.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
The MPX is a cool looking 9mm, but what can it bring to the party that a Colt 6920 cannot bring? What can it do that a colt cannot do? I like the idea, counting the plus signs I count lower cost practice ammo and less recoil for the MPX, then higher cost proprietary magazines, less range, less effectiveness on targets as the cons.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by jimmyp
The MPX is a cool looking 9mm, but what can it bring to the party that a Colt 6920 cannot bring?

Nothing.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
^^^^^ What he said.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I have convinced myself against any 9mm carbine. I got to thinking of the deer and pigs I have killed with a 5.56 gun, and considered that a 9mm of any ilk would possible not have killed some of them.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You should be alright on using one on a small SE deer, I would think. All about the bullet.

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I think I am just going to pass on it, I don't see anyone else trying a 9mm on a deer around these parts. I do have a story about a sheriff's deputy that dumped 2 full 9mm mags into a deer that got hit by a car and it was still moving... smile

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by deflave
I prefer the .223 to just about anything these days. Bolt or semi.

But there are advantages to the pistol stuff in carbines. This was figured out in the 1800's so there's no reason to discuss advantages to commonality. Yes, it's still a pistol round but most people can put rounds on target at greater distance more easier when it's flying out of a shoulder fired weapon. As far as aesthetics, look at all the old Winchesters chambered in pistol rounds. You'd need a PhD in ugly to make a stupider looking firearm but they worked great and so do the Storms.

As far as the AR platform and pistol cartridges are concerned, I have seen some great running Colt's chambered in 9mm and that is where the "good" list ends. I won't even fire a .40 cal version and I've not seen one chambered in .45.

The .45 and the .40 cal versions (to me) are the most practical and the reason for that is sub-sonic stuff comes in factory form and is everywhere. Also, there is an untold amount of handloading info to keep stuff under 1,100fps and the firearms are still going to function 100% because they're built for those type of loads. If you have no desire to go suppressed, then this is of no concern to you. If you think super sonic ammo is "quiet enough" then this is of no concern to you either.

The Ruger carbines are UBER and I think they'd sell like crazy if they reintroduced them today. But they're only going up in price so they are what they are and I wouldn't want to alter one from factory form.

The Storms are not extremely common but they are common enough and can be had for a decent price. Threading is about $200 and if you want to SBR it, it's another $200 and you'll have a very compact carbine even with most suppressors attached.

I know the Blackout gets lots of love but I think if I want to sling 200gr bullets at sub-sonic speeds, I'd prefer to shoot a bullet designed to expand at sub-sonic speeds as opposed to something designed to fly from a 300 Win Mag.

Yes, I know about the Leheigh type bullets but at the end of the day you'll be paying a fugk of a lot more for 1,000 of those than you will for 1,000 XTP's. And for the ranges you shoot 200gr sub-sonic stuff you'll not notice a change in POI if you plink with HAP's.

This is why I don't hate them.

Travis

^^^This guy is right. Again. ^^^

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
CX4 can be tweaked if one so desires...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I do have a story about a sheriff's deputy that dumped 2 full 9mm mags into a deer that got hit by a car and it was still moving... smile

That's more a lack of brains than a lack of cartridge! laugh

Islam is a terrorist organization.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
All I know is there were more than a few slants and krauts sent to hell via pistol cartridge 'carbines'

[Linked Image]

Seems the Brits liked the sterling

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 47 invisible), 2,091 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,089
Posts18,464,017
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.