Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK
Originally Posted by shaman
When fielding questions regarding deer rifles, I frequently got the one: ". . . my BIL says I should by an SKS, 'cause it shoots gooder than my 30-30 and the ammo is cheaper."

Case capacity wins every time in any discussion of the theoretical limits of two cartridges. Isn't there about a 25% advantage in favor of a 30-30? I'd say that pretty well says it all.

Yes, a souped-up 7.62 X39 fired from a nice bolt gun will do about the same job on a deer as a factory 30-30 up to a point, but having spent a good part of my life around KY hillbillies that spent the better part of their lives trying to make their 30-30's work like aught-sixes, I'd give the edge to the 30 WCF.

Yep, and if you want to soup up the 30-30 with Paco kellys 40,000 cup handloads {same pressure the 444 Marlin is loaded to in the 336 action} it really stomps the 7.62x39.

And what deer bullet does Paco Kelly recommend above all others for the .30-30? The Speer 130. It has radically better SD than a 125...
Actually, the sectional density of the 125 gr. is .185 and the 130 gr. is .196. Not much difference there at all. The SD of a 170 gr. is .256 just FYI.

150 .312" is .220; 174 is .255.

Running some numbers, the x39 ought to be able to through the .308" 170 ".30-30" bullets at 2200, +/- 50 fps (RL-7 and AA1680, for starters). It'll be interesting to see how that shakes out.
I'd be interested to know your results. Been thinking on getting the wife a new deerslayer and the CZ527 carbine is one I've considered. Crazy woman isn't fond of lever guns.

BP-B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rost495
Blackheart my man. I have not looked at this thread in a long time.

How close have you killed deer? Vs how far have I?

FWIW, I do it my way you do it yours. And I can tell you that while you probably have killed deer closer than mine, I will mention that I have over 100 big game kills by archery gear, only one over 25 yards, only two at 25ish yards. The rest are at or under my self imposed limit of 16 steps. The closest are a deer at 3 steps. A pig at 3 steps. Most bow kills have been under 10 steps.

As to our long range stuff, only have to say that I have a couple or maybe more, awards that might indicate its not all hot air as you indicate. Not that it matters or that I care.

I have yet to harvest past 802. I have yet to get a kill with a spear. But both are still on the list. As well as stone heads for the bow if my injury ever allows me back to my recurve...

It flat doesn't take much to kill a deer here cartridge wise. a 22lr would do the trick on most deer.

yet, the be ready part of me says you are always ready for the long shot. I have view from where I hunt, of up close, all the way out past 600 yards of wide open ridges, where if a rutting buck showed, you could never get around closer and find the buck back unless they bed... whcih they have done and we have stalked before up close.

30-30 wise I own 3... one a handgun. I've taken more than a few with them. And even though I've never taken one with the x39 with my own gun I have used my nephews a few times.
Had a large nilgai once with the 30-30 contender handgun too... when I was young and dumb enough to think record books were cool, it was #5....for a time.

Simply to think that TX is full of thickets or totally wide open shows not much knowledge of this state at all. Or to think that TX has so many deer any fool could kill them on demand... some areas yes, some its pretty tough, mixed in with public land etc... other hunters, permits required and so on.

I suspect before talking about someone we should all learn who they really are. BTW there was a time frame where I never used a gun, probably close to 15 years, and never shot less than 4 deer..... hmmm....
Well Rost I have more than a few awards earned on the firing line in NRA registered 4 position smallbore competition myself. I won't bore you with all the details but I have been to the state championships more than once and placed in the top 3 each time. One year I even took high individual. Beyond that, I have competed in the Empire State games, the Northeastern states championship and been invited to the olympic tryouts. My offhand averge was the highest in the league and my kneeling average the second highest. I hold every NRA smallbore marksmanship award there is, up to and including distinguished expert. I have killed deer with rifle, shotgun, handgun, bow, muzzleloader and motor vehicle, including several with each of the .22 LR, .22 mag and 5mm Remington rimfire mag. on agricultural damage control peermits.

This part of the pissing contest ought to get interesting...

LOL nope, I"m clearly outgunned. We'll leave it at that. LOL.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kingston
Can we just get back to who's the better pants shîtter.
That post from Paul was hilarious. Glad you brought it to my attention. Anyone who swears they've never sharted is most likely a liar. Happened to a young coworker of mine just last week and it was funny as hell. We were still getting a few good laughs out of it today.

There's little better than a good "I [bleep] my pants story".

laugh

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK
[quote=shaman]When fielding questions regarding deer rifles, I frequently got the one: ". . . my BIL says I should by an SKS, 'cause it shoots gooder than my 30-30 and the ammo is cheaper."

Case capacity wins every time in any discussion of the theoretical limits of two cartridges. Isn't there about a 25% advantage in favor of a 30-30? I'd say that pretty well says it all.

Yes, a souped-up 7.62 X39 fired from a nice bolt gun will do about the same job on a deer as a factory 30-30 up to a point, but having spent a good part of my life around KY hillbillies that spent the better part of their lives trying to make their 30-30's work like aught-sixes, I'd give the edge to the 30 WCF.

Yep, and if you want to soup up the 30-30 with Paco kellys 40,000 cup handloads {same pressure the 444 Marlin is loaded to in the 336 action} it really stomps the 7.62x39.

And what deer bullet does Paco Kelly recommend above all others for the .30-30? The Speer 130. It has radically better SD than a 125...
Actually, the sectional density of the 125 gr. is .185 and the 130 gr. is .196. Not much difference there at all. The SD of a 170 gr. is .256 just FYI.

150 .312" is .220; 174 is .255.

Running some numbers, the x39 ought to be able to through the .308" 170 ".30-30" bullets at 2200, +/- 50 fps (RL-7 and AA1680, for starters). It'll be interesting to see how that shakes out.[/quote I'd be interested to know your results. Been thinking on getting the wife a new deerslayer and the CZ527 carbine is one I've considered. Crazy woman isn't fond of lever guns.

The CZ is a damned nice rifle. I'll post results.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ingwe
Don't know why you need a .30 cal anything to kill a deer....

I am laughing pretty hard too. But then I am the know nothing idiot that dropped a mule deer into it's shadow at 240 yards with a 22 hornet and a hand swaged 40 gr bullet out of a 14" TC contender. That bullet was swaged using a spent 22 short case for a jacket. If you can hit what your shooting at you don't need a 16 inch gun.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kingston
Can we just get back to who's the better pants shîtter.

Interestingly, I am eyeing a 7.63x39 Ruger Number One and stumbled upon this thread in my research. May my shart live on!

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Tex N Cal has a Ruger No. 1 chambered for the Russian. Send him a PM and I'm sure he'll be able to let you know how his shoots so far.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
dis one? smile

[Linked Image]

I shot a doe with it last year, using the Hornady 123gr SST. It worked, though the bullet changed direction after impact. In the Ruger you can exceed the factory loads by a fair amount, with 1680 powder. The SST grouped pretty well in the #1, say about 1.25MOA.

I have some of the prototype Nosler 123gr bullets that they sold through their pro shop. I may give them a whirl, too. The rifle has a long enough throat to use 150gr bullets, which of course adds some utility, and no silly magazine to constrain your OAL. smile

It's not a super-anything, but it certainly kills as well as a .30-30, and is a compact gun that handles well in the blind. The report & recoil are mild.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My CZ 527 Carbine is on the last of sells list for me. It has a few critters down (two blackbuck and a two hogs) with the Wolf 122 gr Copper Jacketed HP. At some point I will get off my azz and strip/refinish the stock as the wood is nuts.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
269 members (1minute, 45_100, 204guy, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 40 invisible), 2,160 guests, and 965 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,633
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.