Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Very nice buck!

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Too kool for skool! laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Great job...Congratulations.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good hunting story. Lots of suspense all the way through. Everyone but you gets one, you don't see anything till the last morning, practically at the last minute, but he's where you can't shoot him. You finally get him on your land, then nail him at 230 yards with an "obsolete under powered cartridge". Savages rule!

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Great buck and taken with the perfect deer rifle, 99 F 300. Makes me want to go even though I am still trying to get over a cold. Hacking cough on a stand doesn't go over well. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jim, I still think you stole my buck. grin

Great job, patience is a huge part of the game. Using the buck grunt didn't hurt either, I forgot mine at home and I was cussing myself out all Saturday long.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Calhoun

Sorry........well maybe not. whistle wink cool

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Calhoun

Did you change cologne or something? Didn't they used to come out and try to hump your leg?? grin

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Mike,
I think he switched rifles and they are not afraid of him anymore.
grin grin grin grin

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by diamondjim
It's my new lucky hat, John. cool

Lucky hat = practice, patience & placement. smile
Good work!

"Every day above ground is a good day."
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Two great pics and well told story.

Thanks for sharing.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Well done! Very well done!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Great deer and great story. Love this time of year!

Bruce
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by diamondjim
Went to our property up in North Central Nebraska. Left Friday the 13th and hunted Saturday through this morning.

My brother scored a forky with his 99C in 243 and my oldest son scored another forky with his 99F in 243(thanks to RAS). My nephew also a scored a small buck with his 10mm handgun. All were done my Monday, except me. They had been seeing deer and I did not see a deer any deer, except the above, and they were already shot.

We were to stop hunting at 10AM to get packed up and head for home. The weather was the best of the week. 30 degrees, slight WNW breeze of 10 mph to calm. At sunrise I finally spotted 5 does/fawns on my neighbors property. No permission there, but at least I finally got to see some.

A few minutes went by and about 7:15 a 5x5 stepped out and started feeding with the does. Then I noticed he was trying to check does out, so I grabbed by grunt tube and started in on calling. He heard it. He started coming in on a string and hung about at 150, but still on the neighbors. Dang thing!!

He spotted another doe to the west and headed for her. When he got close to her, I started the grunting again and he was hooked. He started to skirt the edge of the pasture to swing in behind me to check me out. He made a mistake. He crossed on to our side of the fence, about 20 yards in and 230 yards out.

I picked up my 1957 era 99F in 300 Savage, loaded with 180 grain silvertips. Put the crosshairs of the Leupold 6X on him squeezed. Humped and start to move ever so slowly to try and cross fence. I took another shot. This one staggered him and he then went down for good. By the time I got there he had expired. I was happy, he was not. Had a drag of 40 yards, backed the truck up to him and he was mine.

Left there a happy hunter.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

good looking animal getting horny gets another in trouble. grin

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Way to go Jim, a dandy buck . Oklahoma season starts in the morning won't get much sleep tonight . Congrats Tom

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Well done Savage work. I haven't hunted with a higher-powered rifle in a number of years as the landowner when I hunt restricts rifles to pistol-cartridge or muzzleloaders. A friend that I didn't know deer hunted in-state asked me along to a place near the KS border and I sat in a tree stand for a couple hours last night. This might be the 100th anniversary of the .250 Savage (or maybe it was last year or maybe the year before that one or the year before that one) but I carried the .300 instead. Obviously they work, but I haven't shot anything with one yet and will have to wait for another day. Also haven't used factory Federal loads on anything, wanting the 150gr .300 to be the one when the time rolls around.
[Linked Image]

Bore, n. Shotgun enthusiast's synonym for "gauge" ; everybody else's synonym for "shotgun enthusiast." - Ed Zern
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's a beautiful buck Jim. Congrats!

Rod

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jim,

So glad to see you get that great deer! The sunlight makes the picture look very good. Looks like you will have meat in the freezer this year.

I am hoping that Rachel gets one over Thanksgiving. I am out of town on a family emergency.

All the best,
Jeff

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 6 invisible), 1,599 guests, and 745 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,557
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.