Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I was talking to my #3 son, Angus, on the way back from a week's deer hunting yesterday. We were talking about the guns we'd like to buy. I mentioned the Gerstacker Special.

Streif- und Jagdzüge durch die Vereinigten Staaten von Nordamerika
(Rambling and Hunting in the United States of North America), 1844.

Back in the late '30's and into the '40's Gerstacker roamed the frontier looking for good hunting. He was a German who just thought America sounded cool. He caught a boat to New York and then traveled down the Mississippi, walking a good part of the way. He spent most of his time between Cincinnati and Arkansas hunting whatever he could find and taking odd jobs. He was kind of the German Daniel Boone.

He carried with him a double-barreled gun. It had been made for him in Germany. One barrel was rifled, and the other was smooth. The former he loaded with round ball meant for deer and the latter was filled with shot, mostly for turkey.

This sounds like a cool gun to put on the bucket list. Does anyone know if these are still made? If I get a zilch here, I may crosspost in Muzzleloaders.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
BP-B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Sure. Check out Dixie Gun Works for Pedersoli SxS shotguns, double rifles, and combination guns. There is even a 20 ga. x .50 cal. pistol "Howdah gun".

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ah! I had not thought to look at the Kodiak Express. I think I found something close in the Pedersoli catalog.

Thanks.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I believe double guns such as that were considered cape guns. The German or European ones generally had the left barrel rifled and the right barrel smooth and the English versions the reverse of that.

I've run into a few of them but never owned one. One of the coolest ones I ever saw was a 20 gauge on the left and a 25-35 on the right. Would have liked to have bought that gun from the owner's estate but the family pilfered the gentleman's guns before the executor could get them secured.

Last edited by mart; 11/25/15.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Assume you want a muzzleloader? If so they are around. There one in the Jeremiah Johnson movie that the indian who watches him carries. Watch closely the next time you see it..

I've made up a couple of them by sleeving the right barrel of a 20 ga ML double with one of the hammer forged 45 cal x5/8" liners sold by Track Of The Wolf & others. Worked very well.

They are, as pointed out, often called "Cape Guns" Never saw a reason for that name unless the Germans & other European settlers of the African cape region, carried them as all around hunting guns??

Last edited by brayhaven; 11/25/15.

Greg
"An abundance of information can exacerbate ignorance if the information is of poor quality" Tom Robbins
http://classicsportingguns.com/
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
That's my understanding - SxS combination guns were very popular in what is now RSA, and they came to be called cape guns.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mart
I believe double guns such as that were considered cape guns. The German or European ones generally had the left barrel rifled and the right barrel smooth and the English versions the reverse of that.

I've run into a few of them but never owned one. One of the coolest ones I ever saw was a 20 gauge on the left and a 25-35 on the right. Would have liked to have bought that gun from the owner's estate but the family pilfered the gentleman's guns before the executor could get them secured.

The Germans make them with the right barrel the rifle barrel commonly. I was very fortunate to blunder onto this two barrel set at a big gun show before it got snatched up. It's 12/8X57JR and 12X12. I've had a couple others, but this Sauer is the "keeper".

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The opening scene of The Red Baron shows him as a boy, hunting with one...

Go to minute 2:10

Last edited by luv2safari; 11/27/15.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
697 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,729 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,558
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.